Decant times?

Make suggestions and report problems.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Decant times?

Post by g-man »

I was thinking, maybe we have a sticky in the TN section listing wines with their decant times?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

You mean recommended decant times?

Post by jdaw1 »

You mean recommended decant times? You mean decant times recommended by whom? Opinions vary.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I agree they do,

Recommended would be a "guild line" ..

Kind of like "drinking windows". Your guess is as good as mine.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The difficulty with decant times is that they are so personal.

Take a 1963 Nacional. Christian Seely will serve this with an hour's decant time. Roy Hersh would probably advise something closer to 8 hours, I would recommend 24 hours and Uncle Tom might well recommend 2 days.

It is so very dependant on your own preference as to how you like your port to show. Do you want it with structure and tannins (generally shorter decant time for older port) or softer and more subdued?

I'm sure we have the information to be able to pull something together, but we will have to consider how to make best use of what will effectively summarise the information held in each tasting note.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:The difficulty with decant times is that they are so personal.

Take a 1963 Nacional. Christian Seely will serve this with an hour's decant time. Roy Hersh would probably advise something closer to 8 hours, I would recommend 24 hours and Uncle Tom might well recommend 2 days.

It is so very dependant on your own preference as to how you like your port to show. Do you want it with structure and tannins (generally shorter decant time for older port) or softer and more subdued?

I'm sure we have the information to be able to pull something together, but we will have to consider how to make best use of what will effectively summarise the information held in each tasting note.

Alex
true, but after drinking with fellow forum members, I can say that you, Alex, enjoy your ports really mature and mellow. KillerB likes it with some spice, so would expect a smaller decant window. Julian likes it like his japanese women; young, full bodied and spicy. :D
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

G-man’s interpretation is his own.

Post by jdaw1 »

g-man wrote:but after drinking with fellow forum members, I can say that you, Alex, enjoy your ports really mature and mellow. KillerB likes it with some spice, so would expect a smaller decant window. Julian likes it like his japanese women; young, full bodied and spicy. :D
G-man’s interpretation is his own.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

G-Man,

Your suggestion was clear and simple. You could have for example,

Warres 80. 2-6 hrs.

It will of course, cause some of the gang spectacular headaches and handwringing, as they cover all eventualities, personalities, permutations, windspeeds, and the like. Sometimes those threads can get a life of their own, and ramble on for months, only limited by the number of participents.

In cases like that, its best just to get on with it. Start a new thread(Maybe Suggested and Requested Decant Times for Port), and just put down what you think, or the bottle you want advice on.

Alan
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Conky's suggestion is a sound one.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Should we ask Jdaw to work out a formula to calculate the impact of time on the stated decant times to ensure they remain current? We could name the thread "Decant Time Half Lives" and a series of small, unanimated but informative graphs showing an exponential curves could be used to inform the decantee.

Just a thought.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have started the thread here.

Please let me know if it should be a Sticky or have a different title.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn