Introductions

Make suggestions and report problems.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Introductions

Post by Conky »

It's only a very minor point, but 'Introductions' started off as a place where a Newbie had the chance to say hello and tell us whatever they wanted about themselves. I like others, always tried to say welcome, but only after they had Posted themselves.
Julian often found he couldn't wait, and started welcoming them before they Posted. I've no problem with that, but that now seems the norm.
If that is going to be the way forward, the Thread Starter info needs adjusting slightly, and you'd better start doing it to/for everyone.

Either that, or Jules will have to show some patience, and we'll revert back to encouraging new posters to go there to say hello,

Alan
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Can I thank the 24 viewers of this Post for their complete indifference! :roll:

I accept this should have appeared in Meaningless Drivel, or maybe Meaningless Site Stuff.
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

I was going to reply but, now that it's annoyed you that no-one has, I feel like I shouldn't.

Ah, of course, now I have replied, to say I'm not going to, I might as well go on to say, "I agree".

I'm not sure what we can do about this particularly, though, without being Draconian...

Ghandih

PS Do you think if I continue to add drivel like this the chain will be moved to the drivel area? :D
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Thanks for that convoluted acknowledgement, Simon.

We're now up to 36 views. It's a privilege to have started a thread that has so literally dumbfounded our Port Community!

:roll: Alan :roll:

Maybe Alex & Derek and all the others could bring it up for discussion at their forthcoming Big Meeting in London?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

indistinguishable from utter indifference

Post by jdaw1 »

I’ll go with the consensus. Which seems, so far, to be functionally equivalent to being indistinguishable from utter indifference.

I was starting introduction threads in an attempt, perhaps ineffective, to encourage these late-arriving newbies to have somewhere to post. (Early arrivers mostly knew each other.)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: indistinguishable from utter indifference

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:functionally equivalent to being indistinguishable from utter indifference.
Agreed.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

jdaw1 wrote:I was starting introduction threads in an attempt, perhaps ineffective, to encourage these late-arriving newbies to have somewhere to post. (Early arrivers mostly knew each other.)
Just before I joined this forum I was browsing through the introductions section and was suprised to see a "senior" (excusez le mot) member writing posts welcoming new members. On most other forums I know, it's up to the newbie to decide whether he or she will introduce him- or herself or not.

Maybe there's some way to encourage newcomers to write in the introductions section. I was going to suggest to put the invitation to do so in the activation email, but who really reads those? I guess most will just click on the link to activate membership without bothering with the rest of the email. Maybe through a PM for every newbie on first login?
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

10Anos wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I was starting introduction threads in an attempt, perhaps ineffective, to encourage these late-arriving newbies to have somewhere to post. (Early arrivers mostly knew each other.)
Just before I joined this forum I was browsing through the introductions section and was suprised to see a "senior" (excusez le mot) member writing posts welcoming new members. On most other forums I know, it's up to the newbie to decide whether he or she will introduce him- or herself or not.

Maybe there's some way to encourage newcomers to write in the introductions section. I was going to suggest to put the invitation to do so in the activation email, but who really reads those? I guess most will just click on the link to activate membership without bothering with the rest of the email. Maybe through a PM for every newbie on first login?
The three administrators have different ways of working this. I tend to send a PM with links to the Introductions and Forum Rules. I may also create an Introduction if I know the poster personally but leave it up to the poster or somebody else that knows them otherwise. Derek is similar whilst Julian tends to create an Introduction for everybody he approves.

There is no set rule, but that's the way it works here. There are set rules elsewhere.
Port is basically a red drink
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Not introducing ac-fast

Post by jdaw1 »

OK, so by PM ac-fast has been invited to start a thread about himself, but, me being a team player, in the style of the other admins, I have not done so myself.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Julian,

Thats one way to go, and certainly the way intended. Yet it wouldn't take much to change the empathise. I dont mind us changing it to us just introducing new members, but it probably should be done for all, and the format should be subtly changed. I dont even mind folk saying 'Just leaving it as it is!', but just thought it was a potential anomaly.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

It seems Conky can't make his mind up what he thinks is right.

I vote with KillerB. Each Admin should do what they think is best when they perform the task of accepting a new member.

Veeve Le Differonse, Je ne say La Feet. Monge two, Monje two, Rodney - as they say in The Nags Head

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Not introducing ac-fast

Post by KillerB »

jdaw1 wrote:OK, so by PM ac-fast has been invited to start a thread about himself, but, me being a team player, in the style of the other admins, I have not done so myself.
Julian, do what you think is fit. This is neither a Communist nor Fascist state. Think of yourself as an independent spirit (or sprite as I nearly wrote) not a member of a politburo. I like it that we do things differently from each other.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Not introducing ac-fast

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote: This is neither a Communist nor Fascist state.
Seriously, is there really a difference?

Derek

PS: Perhaps this is for another BB?
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: Introductions

Post by Conky »

Conky wrote:It's only a very minor point, but 'Introductions' started off as a place where a Newbie had the chance to say hello and tell us whatever they wanted about themselves. I like others, always tried to say welcome, but only after they had Posted themselves.
Julian often found he couldn't wait, and started welcoming them before they Posted. I've no problem with that, but that now seems the norm.
If that is going to be the way forward, the Thread Starter info needs adjusting slightly, and you'd better start doing it to/for everyone.

Either that, or Jules will have to show some patience, and we'll revert back to encouraging new posters to go there to say hello,

Alan
Conky wrote:Julian,

Thats one way to go, and certainly the way intended. Yet it wouldn't take much to change the empathise. I dont mind us changing it to us just introducing new members, but it probably should be done for all, and the format should be subtly changed. I dont even mind folk saying 'Just leaving it as it is!', but just thought it was a potential anomaly.

Alan
I've put them together so you can see it was multiple choice???
Derek wrote:It seems Conky can't make his mind up what he thinks is right.
The idea being, there's no 'right', but pick one and stick to it?

And after careful consideration you've decide your right! My word, there's a surprise... :roll:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Introductions

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote: And after careful consideration you've decide your right! My word, there's a surprise... :roll:
But what I said was that I think each Admin should be allowed to deal with this as they see fit without having a rule imposed on them. Not sure what your problem is with that one?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Derek T. wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:functionally equivalent to being indistinguishable from utter indifference.
Agreed.

Derek
maybe that remark,

maybe the length of time it took one of you three to acknowledge the point,

maybe the two different ways the three of you are dealing with it,

maybe its style reminded me of a Coffin Transporter I once knew...

Alan. :)