PM Question: The 'Outbox'

Make suggestions and report problems.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

PM Question: The 'Outbox'

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Admin,

I have a message lingering in my Outbox as opposed to my Sentbox. This message is rather important and I'm curious as to the status of a message in the Outbox: Has it actually been sent, or is it waiting to be sent? Shall I just cut and paste the same message to a New Post and get on with it, attempting to send it all over again? Please let me; this is a bit time sensitive.

Thank you in advance,
SSD
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

possible ways to speed delivery of message include

Post by jdaw1 »

You have sent it. The recipient has not read it. In an emergency possible ways to speed delivery of message include:
  • Email intended recipient;
  • Telephone intended recipient;
  • Go to intended recipient’s home (or other physical location).
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Perfect. Thank you!
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Simon,

If its someone who is new to this Forum, and Forums in general, they may not understand the Personal Message aspect, and unwittingly be oblivious to your message.
Another way of attracting their attention, is when they post on a subject on the Forum, Post after them, saying, for example,

Simon,

You have PM!

and even if they dont understand that, they may at least enquire what your on about.

Alan
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I believe that the situation is possibly even more fundamental that the intended recipient not having read the mail, I believe that a message lingering in the outbox means that the intended recipient has not even logged on to the forum.

Once they log on, any messages waiting in outboxes are delivered to the inbox of the receipient and a message appears in the title bar of the forum saying "You have 1 new message", or something to that effect.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:I believe that a message lingering in the outbox means that the intended recipient has not even logged on to the forum.

Once they log on, any messages waiting in outboxes are delivered to the inbox of the receipient and a message appears in the title bar of the forum saying "You have 1 new message", or something to that effect.

Alex
I don't think that is true. When a message is sent it goes into the senders Outbox and a header is placed in the recipient's Inbox. The "You have a message" message is triggered on the next login but the message stays in the senders outbox until opened. I know this because I have found old messages in my Outbox previously that were sent to frequent visitors here that had definately logged in and posted but had not opened the message. It is also possible that the Recipient does not have the "Tell me when a message comes in" option selected in their profile which means they would have to go into their Inbox to know it is there.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Thanks for all the good info guys!!!