¿ phpBB 3.0.0 ?

Make suggestions and report problems.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

¿ phpBB 3.0.0 ?

Post by jdaw1 »

Please, will the creator be installing phpBB 3.0.0 (released on 13th December 2007)? My vote is yes, even if only for the enhanced private messaging features, as well as the ability to merge threads and the “You got beaten at posting† notification. And I should also mention “New founder status for the board creator†. (Alternative list of changes.)

Other thoughts? (Especially from the Creator.)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

phpBB has been specifically optimised for the mobile market

Post by jdaw1 »

Forgot to say:
phpBB press release wrote:Among the new features announced today, phpBB has been specifically optimised for the mobile market.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I will second this request providing the creator has time to devote to the task and there is no risk of loss of data when installing the upgrade.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Conversion from phpBB 2.0.x to phpBB 3.0.x

Post by jdaw1 »

Better anti-spam features as well.

Also see official advice entitled Conversion from phpBB 2.0.x to phpBB 3.0.x.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

It is under consideration
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

phpBB 2.0.23

Post by jdaw1 »

OK, well whilst we are still on 2 there’s been some security improvements called phpBB 2.0.23: should we make that small upgrade?
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

jdaw1 wrote:OK, well whilst we are still on 2 there’s been some security improvements called phpBB 2.0.23: should we make that small upgrade?
That may have the same effects, I was just prompted to look at that as well. Will be looking at possibilities.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Pray sir, what did you see?

Post by jdaw1 »

admin wrote:Will be looking at possibilities.
Pray sir, what did you see?
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I downloaded a whole set of updates but have not had the opportunity to install them, which looks a bit of a tedious task. I will be chucking some of them in this week or seeing if there is an easier way to do it without losing all of the data.
Port is basically a red drink
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I vote for a pre-update backup.

Post by jdaw1 »

KillerB wrote:without losing all of the data.
KillerB

Re: I vote for a pre-update backup.

Post by KillerB »

jdaw1 wrote:
KillerB wrote:without losing all of the data.
That was always on the cards anyway.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Is this 'upgrade' the same as the one For The Love of Port has just implemented?

If so, be cautious. It looks a jumbled mess. It may in time show itself to be worthwhile, if their are enough benefits, but I cant see them at first glance.

Alan
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Conky wrote:Is this 'upgrade' the same as the one For The Love of Port has just implemented?

If so, be cautious. It looks a jumbled mess. It may in time show itself to be worthwhile, if their are enough benefits, but I cant see them at first glance.

Alan
Tht is phpBB 3.0 but it is the style that you see that makes it different.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

phpBB 3.0.1

Post by jdaw1 »

nobody@phpbb.com wrote:Hello,

We are very pleased to announce the availability of the phpBB 3.0.1 package. This version has seen numerous stability fixes, performance tweaks and general bugs fixed. Additionally two minor security-related bugs were fixs.

Please note that we urge you to update. The versions we currently support here are phpBB 2.0.23 and phpBB 3.0.1.

3.0.1 has seen some some critical bugs fixed, including:

- Allow correct avatar caching for CGI installations. (thanks wildbill)

- Fix disabling of word censor, now possible again

- Correctly quote db password for re-display in installer (Bug #16695 / thanks to m313 for reporting too - #s17235)

- Correctly handle empty imageset entries (Bug #16865)

- Correctly check empty subjects/messages (Bug #17915)

- Do not check usernames against word censor list. Disallowed usernames is already checked and word censor belong to posts. (Bug #17745)

- Sped up viewforum considerably (also goes towards mcp_forum)

- Allow editing usernames within database_update on username cleanup (Bug #18415)

- Use proper title on index for new/unread posts (Bug #13101) - patch provided by Pyramide

- Allow calls to $user->set_cookie() define no cookie time for setting session cookies (Bug #18025)

- Stricter checks on smilie packs (Bug #19675)

- Possible login problems with IE7 if browser check is activated (Bug #20135)

- Fix possible database transaction errors if code returns on error and rollback happened (Bug #17025)

- Allow numbers in permission names for modifications, as well as uppercase letters for the request_ part (Bug #20125)

- Use HTTP_HOST in favor of SERVER_NAME for determining server url for redirection and installation (Bug #19955)

- Changing order for post review if more than one post affected (Bug #15249)

- Prepend phpbb_root_path to ranks path for displaying ranks (Bug #19075)

- Allow forum notifications if topic notifications are disabled but forum notifications enabled (Bug #14765)

- Fixing realpath issues for provider returning the passed value instead of disabling it. This fixes issues with confirm boxes for those hosted on Network Solutions for example. (Bug #20435)

- Try to sort last active date on memberlist correctly at least on current page (Bug #18665)

- Handle generation of form tokens when maximum time is set to -1

- Correctly delete unapproved posts without deleting the topic (Bug #15120)

- Respect signature permissions in posting (Bug #16029)

- Users allowed to resign only from open and freely open groups (Bug #19355)

- Assign a last viewed date to converted topics (Bug #16565)

- New option to hide the entire list of subforums on listforums

- Custom BBCode {EMAIL}-Token usage (Bug #21155)

- Do not rely on parameter returned by unlink() for verifying cache directory write permission (Bug #19565)

- Use correct string for filesize (MiB instead of MB for example)

- Remove left join for query used to retrieve already assigned users and groups within permission panel (Bug #20235)

- Correctly return sole whitespaces if used with BBCodes (Bug #19535)

- Quote bbcode parsing adding too much closing tags on special conditions (Bug #20735)

- Added sanity checks to various ACP settings

- Removed minimum form times

- Custom profile fields with date type should be timezone independend (Bug #15003)

- Warnings if poll title/options exceed maximum characters per post (Bug #22865)

- Do not allow selecting non-authorized groups within memberlist by adjusting URL (Bug #22805 - patch provided by ToonArmy)

- Display "empty password error" within the login box instead of issuing a general error (Bug #22525)

- Allow & and | in local part of email addresses (Bug #22995)

- Do not error out if php_uname function disabled / Authenticating on SMTP Server (Bug #22235 - patch by HoL)

- Correctly obtain to be ignored users within topic/forum notification (Bug #21795 - patch provided by dr.death)

- Correctly update board statistics for attaching orphaned files to existing posts (Bug #20185)

- Do not detect the board URL as a link twice in posts (Bug #19215)

- Set correct error reporting in style.php to avoid blank pages after CSS changes (Bug #23885)

- If pruning users based on last activity, do not include users never logged in before (Bug #18105)

- Only allow searching by email address in memberlist for users having the a_user permission (reported by evil<3)

- Limit private message attachments to be viewable only by the recipient(s)/sender (Report #s23535) - reported by AlleyKat

- Check for non-empty config.php within style.php (Report #s24575) - reported by bantu

- Find and display colliding usernames correctly when converting from one database to another (Bug #23925)

Please refer to the changelog for a complete list of fixes since 3.0.0:

http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents. ... &version=3

A short explanation of how to do a conversion, installation or update is included within the provided INSTALL.html file, please be sure to read it.

*Minimum Requirements*

phpBB3 has a few requirements which must be met before you are able to install and use it.

- A webserver or web hosting account running on any major Operating System with support for PHP

- A SQL database system, one of:

- MySQL 3.23 or above (MySQLi supported)

- PostgreSQL 7.3+

- SQLite 2.8.2+

- Firebird 2.0+

- MS SQL Server 2000 or above (directly or via ODBC)

- Oracle

- *PHP 4.3.3+ (>=4.3.3, >4.4.x, >5.x.x, >6.0-dev (compatible))* with support for the database you intend to use.

- getimagesize() function need to be enabled

- These optional presence of the following modules within PHP will provide access to additional features, but they are not required.

- zlib Compression support

- Remote FTP support

- XML support

- Imagemagick support

- GD Support

The presence of each of these optional modules will be checked during the installation process.

*Security*

Security issues found should be reported to our security tracker in the usual way. The tracker is available at:

http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/security/

*Available packages*

If you experience problems with the automatic update (white screens, timeouts, etc.) we recommend using the "changed files only" or "patch" method for updating.

With this release, there are four packages available.

*Full Package*

Contains entire phpBB3 source and english language files.

*Changed Files Only*

Contains only those files changed from previous versions of phpBB3. Please note this archive contains changed files for each previous release.

*Patch Files*

Contains patch compatible patches from previous versions of phpBB3.

*Automatic Update Package*

Update package for the automatic updater, containing the changes from previous release to this release.

Select whichever package is most suitable for you.

*Please ensure you read the INSTALL and README documents in docs/ before proceeding with installation, updates or conversions!*

*Download/Documentation*

phpBB Downloads: http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/

phpBB3 Documentation: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/

phpBB3 support forum: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=46

phpBB3 bug tracker: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/

phpBB3 Coding Guidelines:
http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/coding-guidelines.html

phpBB3 Sourcecode Documentation: http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/code/

phpBB Code Forge: http://code.phpbb.com/

The official announcement can be found here:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=879735

Have fun with the release,

the phpBB Team
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I noticed that v3 leaves all unread posts marked until you open them or hit the "mark topics read" or "mark forums read" options.

Is this a new feature or something that is turnonable in the version we are using?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

{cigarette|cheap cigarett

Post by jdaw1 »

Ok, I’ve banned {cigarette|cheap cigarett three (maybe four) times in the last few days. I would really like to ban the username *cigaret* (and indeed *pills*), but doing so requires version 3. Please could we upgrade? Please, how can I help do the upgrade?
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I have downloaded v 3.02 and am looking at the upgrade procedures. I will take backups but will probably need to close the site down for a while when I do it, I will give notice.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Hurray! Thank you very much.

Post by jdaw1 »

Hurray! Thank you very much. I’m sure that people will understand that an hour of downtime is necessary from time to time.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: {cigarette|cheap cigarett

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Ok, I’ve banned {cigarette|cheap cigarett three (maybe four) times in the last few days. I would really like to ban the username *cigaret* (and indeed *pills*), but doing so requires version 3.
Score me another three rounds of the ciggie people since.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

These low-life are stubborn: another deleted.

Post by jdaw1 »

These low-life are stubborn: another deleted.

Edit morning of Monday 28th July: same again.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

The emails were all of the format “*-???@yahoo.co.uk†,

Post by jdaw1 »

Again!

But I’ve realised that the email addresses were all of the format “*-???@yahoo.co.uk†, which has now been banned. Maybe that will slow them down.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

As an intermediate step, you could add a custom CAPTCHA to the registration page. All that’s required is an <input> on the registration form which requests something like “please type the word Port in the box† and which is checked by the profile.php script. I did that on the last phpbb2 forum I ran and it killed pretty much all spam (I think one got through, but that spammer appeared to be using Chinese slave-labour to register manually). I think it took me about 5 minutes to code and another 5 to test. Anything that changes the registration page from the default would help (even changing the name of the <input> fields on the form would probably do).

-Jacob
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: ¿ phpBB 3.0.0 ?

Post by uncle tom »

New colour scheme is a bit austere - is this temporary?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

uncle tom wrote:New colour scheme is a bit austere - is this temporary?

Tom
Yes - I can load another one, this is just a start for phpbb3. Julian is working on a style.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

A new style is being made with the following qualities.
  • Based on the official colour of :tpf: (60% red, 0% green, 0% blue), with occasional use of tawny (80% red, 60% green, 20% blue).
  • In appropriate icons, black will indicate unread, grey read.
  • No distracting animated GIFs.
  • Low-clutter, so small icons, but clear and obvious meanings.
  • In the viewing of a thread, stuff in the poster column will relate to the poster, stuff in the post column will relate to the post.
  • In general graphic links will be :tpf: actions (e.g., Edit or Quote); text links will be links (e.g., WWW or Email).
This is proving to be more than a little work, so will not appear immediately.