Owen and Andy debate…

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Owen and Andy debate…

Post by djewesbury »

Hi everyone, welcome to our new regular thread, 'Owen and Andy Debate…', where Port Forum regulars LGTrotter and Andy Velebil discuss the issues of the day. We hope this will be a regular item.

What's this week's topic, gents?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Owen and Andy debate…

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:Hi everyone, welcome to our new regular thread, 'Owen and Andy Debate…', where Port Forum regulars LGTrotter and Andy Velebil discuss the issues of the day. We hope this will be a regular item.

What's this week's topic, gents?
You are a very silly man.

How about port as an investment? A topic fit for meaningless drivel if there ever was one.

http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/1 ... -old-port/

I don't think that it is ever going to happen. I would also add that the business of Dow 11 increasing by 30% may turn out to be what is referred to in the trade as a dead cat bounce.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Owen! Owen! Owen!
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Andy! Andy! Andy!
Daniel J.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Investing in Port sucks unless you buy the right things at the right place and for the right price. Otherwise, you picked the wrong thing at the wrong place and wrong price.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:How about port as an investment? A topic fit for meaningless drivel if there ever was one.

http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/1 ... -old-port/

I don't think that it is ever going to happen. I would also add that the business of Dow 11 increasing by 30% may turn out to be what is referred to in the trade as a dead cat bounce.
You'll have to explain to me what the article actually said. I read lots of words but didn't understand what was being said other than "I have a page to fill and need to write an article that says nothing".
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:Owen! Owen! Owen!
djewesbury wrote:Andy! Andy! Andy!
Andy Velebil wrote:Investing in Port sucks unless you buy the right things at the right place and for the right price. Otherwise, you picked the wrong thing at the wrong place and wrong price.
Come on, Owen, you can't let Andy away with that kind of gibberish!

Easy! Easy! Easy!
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Just been watching a programme about wrestling. Giant Haystacks versus Big Daddy.

Now, where were we. I completely agree with all Andy has said.

Alex; it's because it's Christmas and one of the many habits of wine journalists is that of writing about port at Christmas. Normal journalists have different odd habits. For instance why do newspapers sporadically give you a colour supplement devoted to one subject? If I wanted a magazine about gardening I would have bought one.

I have a feeling Derek may have had a glass or two.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:Just been watching a programme about wrestling. Giant Haystacks versus Big Daddy.

Now, where were we. I completely agree with all Andy has said.

Alex; it's because it's Christmas and one of the many habits of wine journalists is that of writing about port at Christmas. Normal journalists have different odd habits. For instance why do newspapers sporadically give you a colour supplement devoted to one subject? If I wanted a magazine about gardening I would have bought one.

On the contrary, Derek has been a model of abstinence all evening ("no, please, finish my Dow 1970") whereas you have clearly been at the furniture polish.
Andy! Andy!
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:On the contrary, Derek has been a model of abstinence all evening ("no, please, finish my Dow 1970") whereas you have clearly been at the furniture polish.
Andy! Andy!
Furniture polish is right. There is one thing I must beg of you: Under no circumstances buy the 2011 St. Joseph Cuvée d'Automne from Tesco on offer at a tenner. This Sandeman Vau 2003 is a deeply unsatisfactory wine as well.

And surely Daniel you must know how I abhor a lie, it has the whiff of death about it.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Devious and wily. Just as I'd expect.
Daniel J.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

djewesbury wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
On the contrary, Derek has been a model of abstinence all evening ("no, please, finish my Dow 1970") whereas you have clearly been at the furniture polish.
Andy! Andy!
Derek, Derek, Derek. Whatever would your life coach say? Pass the polish? I think not.

Now back to this whole Port for money nonsense. We're a semi civilized bunch thus we don't care the value it may or may not go up. We buy to drink, and more importantly, to share with others of like, not so sound, mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Andy Velebil wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
Andy! Andy!
Derek, Derek, Derek. Whatever would your life coach say? Pass the polish? I think not.

Now back to this whole Port for money nonsense. We're a semi civilized bunch thus we don't care the value it may or may not go up. We buy to drink, and more importantly, to share with others of like, not so sound, mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite. 'Investment potential' is still a faraway prospect in the port world. Cool your jets Owen.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Andy Velebil wrote:Now back to this whole Port for money nonsense. We're a semi civilized bunch thus we don't care the value it may or may not go up. We buy to drink, and more importantly, to share with others of like, not so sound, mind.
Bravo! Encore! MOOOOORRRRRREEEEE!!!!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Now back to this whole Port for money nonsense. We're a semi civilized bunch thus we don't care the value it may or may not go up. We buy to drink, and more importantly, to share with others of like, not so sound, mind.
Mr Muscle? Pledge? Raw beeswax??
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

LGTrotter wrote:
If on the other hand I wished to be contrary I might say that of course port is money. I think that most people would think we were insane for the amount of money and effort we put into it. And indeed it is ridiculous, the hours I have spent on port. Have you seen the hundred odd pages of posts on this site? And I only got here recently, there were many wilderness years.

So that's why I'm off to start my novel, that or drink myself to death.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

AHB wrote:You'll have to explain to me what the article actually said. I read lots of words but didn't understand what was being said other than "I have a page to fill and need to write an article that says nothing".
It says "Port could be a good investment. Port doesn't always make a good investment", and in addition to a number of inherent contradictions it does it verbosely and with a variety of grammar and punctuation errors.

Owen and Andy! Owen and Andy!
That's too much of a mouthful; I'm shortening it: Wendy, Wendy, Wendy!