NYT on The Imitation Game

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

NYT on The Imitation Game

Post by Glenn E. »

New York Times wrote:“The Imitation Game” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). Illicit sex, cataclysmic violence and advanced math, most of it mentioned rather than shown.
Emphasis mine.
Glenn Elliott
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: NYT on The Imitation Game

Post by AW77 »

Hm, together with illicit sex and cataclysmic violence advanced math sounds like a form of disease. "I'm sorry, but he suffers from an advanced math." "Doctor, is it that bad?"
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

AW77 wrote:Hm, together with illicit sex and cataclysmic violence advanced math sounds like a form of disease. "I'm sorry, but he suffers from an advanced math." "Doctor, is it that bad?"
Glenn's had it for years. He applies a soothing unguent twice daily. But alas it is a chronic condition.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

LGTrotter wrote:
AW77 wrote:Hm, together with illicit sex and cataclysmic violence advanced math sounds like a form of disease. "I'm sorry, but he suffers from an advanced math." "Doctor, is it that bad?"
Glenn's had it for years. He applies a soothing unguent twice daily. But alas it is a chronic condition.
It's true. But PhilW and jdaw1 have worse cases than I.

After all, jdaw1 reads math. He's like the Neo of the real world. I imagine that everything is just numbers and formulas for him. Poor soul... give him some more Port.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

We are all just numbers and formulae for JDAW. Not very interesting ones either! His is the life of the mind.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:We are all just numbers and formulae for JDAW. Not very interesting ones either! His is the life of the mind.
Not at all! There is a man reaching out, craving, with every fibre of his being...

Oh sorry Julian, I forgot you were there.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:I imagine that everything is just numbers and formulas for him. Poor soul... give him some more Port.
I am willing to accept charitable donations of more Port (certain years preferred: V.O.A.), but there is a misunderstanding here. Numbers and formulas are tiresome: real mathematicians want geometry. Geometry can be beautiful; numbers and formulas are a mere echo of that beauty, like a Titian seen by an achromatic.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Based on empirical evidence I firmly believe that all computer games should be outlawed and banished from society.

We have a sixteen year old boy who is incapable of human interaction other than a surly, almost incoherent grunt. The specimen is extremely gifted in mathematics but finds it impossible to answer any question without shrugging his shoulders, pausing and saying something akin to "ok", "fine" or "I don't know". The specimen is addicted to Xbox, Play Station, Nintendo, Candy Crush, etc. Case closed.

This would not have happened when I was a sixteen year old boy. I was surly, almost incoherent and grunted at any request for a response for much better reasons than wanting to play with a game controller.

We must do something to stop this current trend.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

See? I always suspected that Julian was at least PG-13. Advanced math, indeed.
Glenn Elliott