Pyramid shaped tea bags

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Pyramid shaped tea bags

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:I did not say that tea was the only thing I drink whilst looking straight up. Whisky tends to help with that.
Whisky certainly helps attain the proper orientation for looking straight up.

I even have a bottle of sweet tea flavored bourbon at home, to bring it all together.
Glenn Elliott
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Today I found out that one should not pull too hard at the string that is attached to the nylon-bag. I spilled the loose tea all over my desk. The edges of the pyramid seem to be a weak spot. So one has to treat these tea bags tenderly.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:Daniel might be on to something here and not just rambling away like a lunatic in his Berlin flat.
You make it sound so tawdry. It's not a 'flat' it's a studio. It's like Studio 54! All covered in silver, up all night, Andy's here, Candy's here, just doing whatever we like whenever we want.
Not really.
Anyway I was actually rambling away in the Staatsbibliothek at Potsdamer Straße which is my new favourite building. I defy anyone not to like it. Except librarians. Librarians always find something to complain about ("oh the stacks are so far away" etc etc etc).
(Sorry André! ;) )
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:
DRT wrote:Daniel might be on to something here and not just rambling away like a lunatic in his Berlin flat.
You make it sound so tawdry. It's not a 'flat' it's a studio. It's like Studio 54! All covered in silver, up all night, Andy's here, Candy's here, just doing whatever we like whenever we want.
I think I can picture it, but I can't decide between a scene from The Young Ones or the party scene in Crocodile Dundee.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

It's a bit more Withnail and I meets Easy Rider.
Daniel J.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

djewesbury wrote:Except librarians. Librarians always find something to complain about ("oh the stacks are so far away" etc etc etc).
(Sorry André! ;) )
I will tell you some more complaints about this library when we're in the Mosel. :)
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AW77 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Except librarians. Librarians always find something to complain about ("oh the stacks are so far away" etc etc etc).
(Sorry André! ;) )
I will tell you some more complaints about this library when we're in the Mosel. :)
I somehow knew you would!
Daniel J.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

AW77 wrote:
(Sorry André! ;) )
I know, I've heard that Otto on the front desk is really up himself, and Hienrik never pays his tea bills and is no better than he ought to be if you know what I mean and Herr Direktor was caught with that tramp from accounts on the Christmas night out!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Shhhh!
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:
AW77 wrote:
(Sorry André! ;) )
I know, I've heard that Otto on the front desk is really up himself, and Hienrik never pays his tea bills and is no better than he ought to be if you know what I mean and Herr Direktor was caught with that tramp from accounts on the Christmas night out!
One thing about it is that everyone who works there is very friendly, which is no mean feat in Berlin. This is a city where, if you speak German to them, they wearily reply to you in English; and if you speak English, they angrily reply to you in German. They're like that. But in the library they've been very helpful and friendly. Probably they all know nobody can touch them because they have the photocopies of Herr Direktor and that tramp from accounts (I think he pressed the 'Scan and Send To All' button by mistake, hit it with his knee..).
Daniel J.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

djewesbury wrote:This is a city where, if you speak German to them, they wearily reply to you in English; and if you speak English, they angrily reply to you in German. They're like that.
Berliners are the rudest people you can find in Germany. (Second come people from Bremen, I think). So they're rude not because you're a foreigner or English, it's simply because you just bother them at all. They're rude to me everytime I'm there, too. And if you watch closely, they're rude to each other as well. Next time you should go to the south (Bavaria) or the west (the Rhineland). People there are more friendly. Sometimes I think that religion is one factor here. The west and south are traditional catholic areas. But this may just be a coincidence that has nothing to do with it.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Coming back (almost) on topic - did you know that there is now a tea plantation in Cornwall? Tregothnan has been growing tea for a few years and while it is hard to find, is very expensive and isn't yet anything fabulous in flavour, it is quite a novelty to be able to drink English tea.

PS - I do like the new fashion for pyramid teabags although I frown at the use of nylon (which doesn't decompose in my compost heap) instead of silk or cotton.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Yes. Synthetic tea bags are a regressive step.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I have never come across nylon, cotton or silk tea bags. just the usual paper, am I missing something? Any suggestions about where I might come across these? Nothing too fancy, Darjeeling, Assam, that sort of thing.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Try your local supermarket, but (leans in conspiratorially and whispers) look on the top shelf.

Try Tea Pigs or a similar brand. And be prepared to pay something like £4 for 15 teabags!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Try your local supermarket, but (leans in conspiratorially and whispers) look on the top shelf.

Try Tea Pigs or a similar brand. And be prepared to pay something like £4 for 15 teabags!
It is easy to reconcile this in your head. If you bought a cup of tea from a cafe you would pay between £1-£4 for the privilege. That means Tea Pigs are up to 1/15th of the price of Tetley.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:Try your local supermarket, but (leans in conspiratorially and whispers) look on the top shelf.

It is easy to reconcile this in your head. If you bought a cup of tea from a cafe you would pay between £1-£4 for the privilege. That means Tea Pigs are up to 1/15th of the price of Tetley.
What price a decent cup of tea? Even unto half my kingdom, well four quid should be alright.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:
DRT wrote:

What price a decent cup of tea? Even unto half my kingdom, well four quid should be alright.
Cheaper than a horse.
Ernest H. Cockburn
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Owen could drink his tea while sitting on a horse. :)
I guess this would make a fine image for a tea ad. "Drink xx's breakfast tea and take on the world in the morning like a King."
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

AW77 wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: Keemun and Yunnan are my favorites
If you like Keemun, try Twinning's Prince of Wales tea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Wales_tea_blend
http://www.twiningsusa.com/templates/pr ... oupGuid=70

That's my favourite black tea. It's curiously not on the UK market, which I discovered some years ago while looking for it in Twinings' tiny shop on the Strand. The people there told me that they just produce it for foreign markets.
Today I am finishing the last of my packets of Prince of Wales tea. Very nice. I can see why you recommended it as it is very similar to the keemun loose leaf tea that I enjoy so much. Thank you!
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Pyramid shaped tea bags

Post by djewesbury »

Yes it was lovely wasn't it. Thank you André.
Daniel J.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Gentlemen, you're most welcome. Glad you enjoyed the tea. BTW: Does it really taste so uncommon that it is only distributed in non-UK markets?