Pyramid shaped tea bags

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Pyramid shaped tea bags

Post by AW77 »

Yesterday afternoon I have done something I have never done before: I used a pyramid shaped tea bag (one must be daring once in a while :) ). Since I spotted them on the shelves a couple of years ago I always thought them too arty and really an unnessary invention. But then I was in a placable mood while shopping on Thursday so I just bought a package of Earl Grey. I must say that I really enjoyed my tea. The bag contained "real" loose tea and not the kind of powder that is normally used in the standard tea bags. Plus it was as easy to use as the standard ones (I wrongly expected the pyramid shaped bags to have no string to remove the bag from the cup.)
I think I will not switch completely to these pyramid shaped tea bags but they will be a good supplement to my normal range.
As the English are very sophisticated connoisseurs of tea, I wonder what people on the forum think of this kind of tea bag.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Pyramid shaped tea bags

Post by DRT »

AW77 wrote:I wonder what people on the forum think of this kind of tea bag.
I think the people on this forum will require more detailed analysis before venturing an opinion.

Is it possible to buy the same tea leaves in pyramid, square (flat) and round (flat) tea bags? There are also variants of the material used to make the bags. Most are the traditional perforated paper variety but some new ones, particularly pyramids, are made from a fine nylon mesh.

A full range of bags are required, all with the same tea leaves, plus some loose tea leaves as a control sample.

Should we book The Bung Hole?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Pyramid shaped tea bags

Post by djewesbury »

The two greatest teas I have ever drunk were a first-flush Darjeeling drunk in a very unassuming cafe chain in Delhi and a pot of Darjeeling drunk in Florian's in Venice. The tea in Delhi was in a silk, stitched tea-bag the like of which I'd never seen before but which I've now encountered in Europe several times, in the kind of shee-shee places that I am wont to pop up in. The tea was staggeringly good, drunk black with nothing, and was clearly not long off the bush. The tea at Florian's was so wonderful that the tannic finish stayed with me for the whole day. In some ways this was a key experience in my tuition in wine tasting.

I have tried in recent years to replicate these experiences and have not been successful. I need a return trip to Delhi or Venice.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Have you tried Tea Pigs?

Reassuringly expensive. Or the Taylor of the tea world?
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I have. Meh.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Tea! I love a cup o tea, builders brown for me, white, no sugar.

Tea in Delhi makes me think of all the chia-wallahs selling that sweet brown cardamom flavoured brew, which while little to do with tea as I understand it is a terrific thing. Especially in those little clay dishes which everybody threw out of train windows.

The shape of the tea bag is immaterial, my mother still looks slightly askance at me using tea bags. But I shall leave you teabaggers to your own immortal devices.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

A nice view of immortality ;)
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I also generally frown on the bag, it has to be said.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:A nice view of immortality ;)
The immorality of teabagging is not something I can discuss further.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm a Twining's Earl Grey man myself - medium rare, no milk or sugar.

I find that builder's tea is a bit like sucking an old tuppeny bit.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:I find that builder's tea is a bit like sucking an old tuppeny bit.
Precisely!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I have 9 different loose leaf teas in my office. I use an infuser because it seems less fussy than filling my own tea bags.

Black tea for me, but I take mine sweetened. Keemun and Yunnan are my favorites, but I also have an Assam that I like a lot.
Glenn Elliott
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

I really cannot understand why people put milk in their tea. For me the milk overlays the flavour of the tea and thus adulterates the taste of the tea. I like my tea sweetened, though. A neat tea without any sugar is to bitter for my taste.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Glenn E. wrote: Keemun and Yunnan are my favorites
If you like Keemun, try Twinning's Prince of Wales tea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Wales_tea_blend
http://www.twiningsusa.com/templates/pr ... oupGuid=70

That's my favourite black tea. It's curiously not on the UK market, which I discovered some years ago while looking for it in Twinings' tiny shop on the Strand. The people there told me that they just produce it for foreign markets.
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

LGTrotter wrote:
DRT wrote:I find that builder's tea is a bit like sucking an old tuppeny bit.
Precisely!
Do you have tasting notes on the different years?
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

[quote="LGTrotter"]

Tea in Delhi makes me think of all the chia-wallahs selling that sweet brown cardamom flavoured brew, which while little to do with tea as I understand it is a terrific thing. Especially in those little clay dishes which everybody threw out of train windows.

I also have fond memories of chai in India. Also tried safron tea in Kashmir, ginger tea in Ladakh(not to my taste) and very nice pot of first flush in Darjeeling.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

AW77 wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: Keemun and Yunnan are my favorites
If you like Keemun, try Twinning's Prince of Wales tea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Wales_tea_blend
http://www.twiningsusa.com/templates/pr ... oupGuid=70

That's my favourite black tea. It's curiously not on the UK market, which I discovered some years ago while looking for it in Twinings' tiny shop on the Strand. The people there told me that they just produce it for foreign markets.
It sounds excellent. I'll see if I can find any locally... at the moment I'm overstocked on tea so probably won't be doing any online orders for a while.

I have a "Classic Breakfast" blend that's quite strong and, at least for me, requires cream to tame it down sufficiently. It does tend to be my morning tea at work so the name is appropriate.

I also have a Nilgiri that is fine but doesn't really stand out in any way, and a sencha green tea with dried cherry in it that's pleasant but not really to my taste. I have a "Noel" blend with Christmas spices that's great for afternoon sipping, and a Rooibos red tea with bourbon vanilla added that tastes like liquid honey.

Most of these were purchased because I earned a 50% off certificate from an online store, so they were each $6 for a 4-oz loose leaf tin. Hard to beat that price. That same store also has a second flush Darjeeling that I'd like to try but just haven't gotten around to ordering.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I bought some first flush Darjeeling from the Algerian Coffee Stores on Old Compton Street in London the last time I was there. I was very excited to get it home and brew up. It was lovely but slightly disappointing. I think freshness is absolutely key for these things, the power of the leaf can't stand being dried too much.

I often smile at the old tea shippers' joke about the abbreviations for different classifications of tea. The very best is known as FTGFOP which means Fine Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe, telling you that it has a very high proportion of the youngest leaves. The joke was that this actually stood for Far Too Good For Ordinary People.

A friend's family were in tea, out in Indiah and all that. They are no longer, for some time, but an old-fashioned chest of tea still arrives at their home in Donaghadee every year.
Daniel J.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

If never heard of a Nilgiri tea. At first I thought it had something to do with Nigiri-Sushi. :)
I also really like Jasmine tea. Pure green tea is too bitter for my taste.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AW77 wrote:If never heard of a Nilgiri tea. At first I thought it had something to do with Nigiri-Sushi. :)
I am currently reviewing a book of photographs of trees in Nilgiri.
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

AW77 wrote:If never heard of a Nilgiri tea. At first I thought it had something to do with Nigiri-Sushi. :)
The Nilgiri that I have seems like it is probably the base for the Classic Breakfast tea I have from the same company. They're pretty similar at least in this case.

Green tea is typically too bitter for me as well. The Cherry Sencha that I have is smoothed considerably by the addition of the dried fruit, but even so I don't drink it very often. I haven't really found a time of day for which it is well suited, and with 8 other teas on my shelf it needs a niche in order to get used.

Forgot to mention my one Oolong - Iron Goddess of Mercy. Lovely flavor. Makes a very nice iced tea, though of course it's not what you'd normally expect from iced tea.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote:with 8 other teas on my shelf it needs a niche in order to get used.
I just thought that was a nice turn of phrase, the whole thing. That's all. Could almost be an old saying. "With 8 other teas on my shelf, I don't know when I'm going to get to use this new telescope."
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:with 8 other teas on my shelf it needs a niche in order to get used.
I just thought that was a nice turn of phrase, the whole thing. That's all. Could almost be an old saying. "With 8 other teas on my shelf, I don't know when I'm going to get to use this new telescope."
Conversely, most of the tea I drink is whilst using my telescope.

Daniel might be on to something here and not just rambling away like a lunatic in his Berlin flat.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
Conversely, most of the tea I drink is whilst using my telescope.

Daniel might be on to something here and not just rambling away like a lunatic in his Berlin flat.
Daniel might be onto something and rambling away in his Berlin flat.

I decline to accept Derek's assertion that he only drinks tea at night with his telescope. There have been times when I sensed a little disorderliness on the 'reason to get up early thread'.

Yours,

Drinking builders brown, from a pyramid shaped teabag. Not too bad really...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I did not say that tea was the only thing I drink whilst looking straight up. Whisky tends to help with that.
Ernest H. Cockburn