Friday the 13th

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Friday the 13th

Post by Glenn E. »

The last day of the work week this week is marginally notable for falling on the 13th.

It is also marginally notable for being a full moon.

Being both at the same time, however, is rare. So rare that it will not happen again until August of 2049. So while not cosmically rare, it is certainly rare in human terms.

Perhaps our resident astronomer could photograph said full moon to record it for posterity?
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Friday the 13th

Post by jdaw1 »

In this part of England it is raining.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I plan to attempt a photograph, but my track record with astronomical photography is atrocious. I generally produce black backgrounds with fuzzy blobs of light.

To further commemorate the occasion, I intend to break a mirror over a black cat while stepping on a crack under a ladder.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote:I plan to attempt a photograph, but my track record with astronomical photography is atrocious. I generally produce black backgrounds with fuzzy blobs of light.

To further commemorate the occasion, I intend to break a mirror over a black cat while stepping on a crack under a ladder.
Maybe you should try and organise a tasting with 9 months' notice as well!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:Perhaps our resident astronomer could photograph said full moon to record it for posterity?
I will be in London on Friday preparing myself for a day at Lord's with Daniel watching England collapse on day 3 of the Sri Lanka test match. My telescope is 200 miles away.

However, we do have another member whose wife is also an amateur astronomer - perhaps Mrs W from Cambridge could do the honours?
jdaw1 wrote:In this part of England it is raining.
In this part of England it is still Monday the 9th of June.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

On [url=http://www.StarGazersLounge.com]SGL.com[/url] DRT wrote:Calling all Lunar imagers!

As you will all know the next full Moon is on Friday the 13th of June.

I am (I hope) reliably informed that the next time a Friday, the 13th day of the month and the Moon will be in perfect alignment will be in 2049. In astronomical terms that is but a blink of the eye but, unfortunately, for many of us here it is beyond the bounds of the universe we will experience.

I have been asked to photograph this event by a friend but unfortunately I will be 200 miles from my telescope. Could one or more of you please take some fabulous images of the full Moon on Friday and post them in this thread so that I can share them with my friend?

Your assistance would be very much appreciated.
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:However, we do have another member whose wife is also an amateur astronomer - perhaps Mrs W from Cambridge could do the honours?
Met office says "maybe" (cloudy but dry, but another 3 days to go so things may change).
Mrs W says "maybe - but how will we take the photo?" (we don't currently have an astro-photography set-up, but I might be able to lash something together...)

Now if only it were Friday 13th, full moon AND a blood moon as well...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PhilW wrote:how will we take the photo?
You can use a-focal photography by holding a normal digital camera or smart phone in front of the eyepiece. It takes a bit of practice but all of the moon shot in this thread were taken that way. The biggest problem will be getting the whole moon in the shot.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I will be driving to a winery outside of Prosser, WA, on Friday night, in preparation for a BBQ contest on Saturday. The winery is a good 20+ miles from Prosser. Prosser is approximately 1239687213945 units from the rest of civilization, possibly more.

Which is a long way of saying that I should be far from any major source of light pollution on Friday night, so even though past experience says that I won't be able to take any good pictures I should at least have a nice view.

Now to figure out which VP to take with me to drink under the full moon on Friday the 13th...
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote:Prosser is approximately 1239687213945 units from the rest of civilization, possibly more.
I think this is the sort of precision to which everyone should aspire. Well done, Glenn.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Glenn E. wrote:Now to figure out which VP to take with me to drink under the full moon on Friday the 13th...
Personally I think this is the most important part of Glenn's post, not the bit about where he is.

Based on my recent experience I recommend a bottle of Dow 1980. Very impressive and very more-ish.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I was at a client reception this evening on a roof terrace in central London and couldn't stop myself taking this shot of a near full Moon...
shard.jpg
shard.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 4863 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

AHB wrote:Based on my recent experience I recommend a bottle of Dow 1980. Very impressive and very more-ish.
It has been suggested that I drink a 2000 VP. Apropos since the last full moon on a Friday the 13th was 13 Oct 2000.

If there were a particular brand that completed harvest on 13 Oct 2000, that would seal the deal.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
AHB wrote:Based on my recent experience I recommend a bottle of Dow 1980. Very impressive and very more-ish.
It has been suggested that I drink a 2000 VP. Apropos since the last full moon on a Friday the 13th was 13 Oct 2000.

If there were a particular brand that completed harvest on 13 Oct 2000, that would seal the deal.
13th of October is an auspicious day in the calendar. Not only is it the birthday of Sir Cliff Richard, it is also the birthday of my mother.

I think you should sing Devil Woman whilst waiting on the BBQ to heat up to ensure a path to Heaven.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

The 13th of October is my sister's birthday, she was born on a Friday. She likes port.

That's it really.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Glenn E. wrote:

Perhaps then a Port produced using biodynamic methods that was harvested only by natural light.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

AHB wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:

Perhaps then a Port produced using biodynamic methods that was harvested only by natural light.
Sadly, I believe the date in question is too early for either Fonseca Terra Prima/Terra Bella or Niepoort Pisca/Bioma.

Though Oscar might have something even if it was not yet officially approved as organic/biodynamic...
Glenn Elliott
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:The biggest problem will be getting the whole moon in the shot.
The bigger problem turned out to be to get any of the moon in the shot, since we had cloud cover all evening.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

After I signed off :tpf: on Friday night, I went outside for a quiet gasper and the moon emerged from among the clouds. As I was on my way to bed and I am not the astronomy corespondent I made no mention of it.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I was in Eastern Washington far from ant light sources. It's practically a desert area, so of course it was overcast and rainy. No moon for me.

I was able to console myself by sharing a SW00 LBV with a couple of people.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PhilW wrote:
The bigger problem turned out to be to get any of the moon in the shot, since we had cloud cover all evening.
It was the same in London.

The next time we have a full Moon I will be ready for it. My new Tele Vue Ethos 13mm eyepiece (the Noval Nacional 1931 of wide-field eyepieces) has arrived so fitting the Moon in the field of view should be no problem. I am told the Ethos can even see through cloud.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
PhilW wrote:
It was the same in London.

The next time we have a full Moon I will be ready for it. My new Tele Vue Ethos 13mm eyepiece (the Noval Nacional 1931 of wide-field eyepieces) has arrived so fitting the Moon in the field of view should be no problem. I am told the Ethos can even see through cloud.
Can it see through curtains too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy Velebil wrote:
DRT wrote:I am told the Ethos can even see through cloud.
Can it see through curtains too?
I couldn't possibly comment.
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:I am told the Ethos can even see through cloud.
We had some friends round a couple of weeks ago and had the telescope out; there was a lot of patchy cloud, so we weren't expecting to see much; I aimed it at Jupiter, and was very surprised to find that some of the time, although Jupiter was covered in cloud to the naked eye, through the telescope the planet and four moons were still clearly visible. It varied in quality of course, but I was surprised and fairly impressed, and that was only with a 6" SCT with 1.5" EP.