Happy Birthday Andre!

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Happy Birthday Andre!

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:I did not need to do it. I felt that an example had to be set — just couldn’t bark dieting orders whilst being a tub of lard myself.
Commendable. Thank you.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I am taller, started lighter, and have lost more. You need to reverse the direction of two of those comparisons. Without delay.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I was just able to run about 300 yards for a bus without collapsing. Does this mean I can postpone my diet?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:I was just able to run about 300 yards for a bus without collapsing. Does this mean I can postpone my diet?
My wife, reading over my shoulder, muttered some rubbish about 300 yards. I’m ignoring that. It’s dead impressive. You should celebrate with four pints and a bottle of Port.

“You can say that all you guys are so immature. … immature boy talk”. I reckon she fancies me.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

She's quite right of course. Nobody should run this distance unsupervised. It's basically diving with death.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

I am a smoker. I know that this is seriously bad for me, I understand that I am likely to die young in an unpleasant way. My family hate this, they love me and do not want me to go on smoking. And all that love and understanding does not carry enough weight to lift a cigarette.

I say this just to point out how extremely difficult it is to change behaviour and how bloody well Derek has done to shift that much weight, we salute you.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:I say this just to point out how extremely difficult it is to change behaviour and how bloody well Derek has done to shift that much weight, we salute you.
Thank you. To complete the picture - I have done it with very dodgy knees that are preventing any sort of exercise. I know from a secret source that someone who claims to be doing better than me is partial to a daily bout of sit-ups. I accept that it might not be of his own volition.

Now then, Owen, seriously - STOP SMOKING!!
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I am starting to feel a bit sorry for Andre, anyone looking at this thread would assume that good wishes continue to pour in from all corners of the port world but it is starting to look like intervention corner.

I think we should all have a good cry and then hug each other.
djewesbury wrote: diving with death.
I like this mental image.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Oops. I meant, of course, dicing with De'Ath.
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:We've heard about the DRT diet. What is the JDAW diet?
Both of these diets seem worse than mine. DRT's forbids Port, at least some of the time. JDAW's restricts eating, which requires one to pay attention.

Mine: eat what you want. Afterwards, figure out how many miles you have to run in order to pay for it. Then go run said miles. Curse yourself for eating too much while running them. Perhaps that will discourage too much eating next time. Mostly likely not.

There was a rather large (15 lbs) bump in the road after I started working at Microsoft because of a) easy access to food/snacks all the time, and b) less time to run in order to pay off the debt. But I once again have it under control (or so it seems) and have lost 5 of the 15. If I can get back down to 185 I'll be very pleased, but 190 would be acceptable.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:I was just able to run about 300 yards for a bus without collapsing. Does this mean I can postpone my diet?
That depends, did you catch the bus?
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote:
That depends, did you catch the bus?
:lol:
The run was actually because I was stood at one bus stop when I realised that I had no money on me. Realising that the bus was imminent, and that if I missed it, the Sunday timetable would mean walking all the way in to town (pleasurable, on a day like today, but not great if you have somewhere to be at a certain time), I ran to the next stop so I could get some money out of the cash machine. Caught the bus easily.
Daniel J.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

LGTrotter wrote:I am starting to feel a bit sorry for Andre, anyone looking at this thread would assume that good wishes continue to pour in from all corners of the port world but it is starting to look like intervention corner.
Thanks for being so considerate. This thought has indeed crossed my mind.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AW77 wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:I am starting to feel a bit sorry for Andre, anyone looking at this thread would assume that good wishes continue to pour in from all corners of the port world but it is starting to look like intervention corner.
Thanks for being so considerate. This thought has indeed crossed my mind.
Apologies, Andre. Perhaps JDAW could spend some time today separating the drivel out from this thread into a new one whilst the rest of us go to work?
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:You should celebrate with four pints and a bottle of Port.
or four pints of port and a bottle (presumably a now-empty double-magnum; also known as "a Tuesday night" for jdaw :) )
SCP-DFF
Taylor’s LBV

Post by SCP-DFF »

Garnish
Garnish
JDAW_salad.jpg (59.77 KiB) Viewed 5232 times
djewesbury wrote:And when you eat, are you allowed to eat whatever you like, or just garnish?
This was Julian's 'garnish' for lunch today, made by his beloved wife. Poor man was "starving"!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

SCP-DFF wrote:
JDAW_salad.jpg
djewesbury wrote:And when you eat, are you allowed to eat whatever you like, or just garnish?
This was Julian's 'garnish' for lunch today, made by his beloved wife. Poor man was "starving"!
That looks delicious. I could run for, oh, yards on that! ;)
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

My garnish was also delicious: some chicken with olives and preserved lemons that I rustled up last night along with some couscous, lettuce and tomatoes. Delicious. Apologies for not taking a picture of it.
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Sadly, I had no garnish available. I was forced to make do with leftover tri-tip steak, and when that proved insufficient I had to scrounge for some leftover bbq brisket.

Woe is me.
Glenn Elliott