Radiation and wine

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Radiation and wine

Post by g-man »

I was wondering in my drunken stupor last night.

Would radiation effect w ine? How bout cell phone waves?

Let's say you had a hi gain antenna for wi fi in the cellar.

Would it change the taste of the wine?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

G-Man,

I have nights/abstract thoughts like that. :D I once thought we could check the cork labelling of Port at auctions, using Forensic Techniques, until someone reminded me they have a cover on!!!

I suspect this will not have been investigated. They are doing numerous studies on the effect on human cells, and are coming out with varying results, mostly on the safe side. Interesting thought though. If I'd have been with you, we'd have talked knowledgably for hours (and never remembered a word of it in the morning! :lol: )

Maybe someone else has a more constructive thought?

Alan
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Re: Radiation and wine

Post by Frederick Blais »

g-man wrote:I was wondering in my drunken stupor last night.

Would radiation effect w ine? How bout cell phone waves?

Let's say you had a hi gain antenna for wi fi in the cellar.

Would it change the taste of the wine?
You can always do a small exercise. Open one bottle, pour 2 glasses, put one in the fridge to cool it and keep the other glass room temperature. Lets say put the glass in the fridge for 15 mins and then heat it with your microwave by increment of 5 seconds until it is at room temperature.

One normal and the other has received a fair amount of intense radio wave much more intense than cell phone or wi-fi antenna. Tell us if there is any difference :)

About atomic radiation, vines as any plants do absorb some each year as do the berries. One scientic did research on it and could validate the vintage of wines with the amount of radiation kept in the wine. When chernobyl did explose, I think the amount of radiation in one bottle was 10 times higher than the previous year. This study was done on french wines only.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have no idea on this one but suspect that Jay P. and Jdaw1 will chip in with a theory or two - Jay P.'s probably being more scientifically proven fact than theory - and that's not intended to diminish Jdaw1's contribution, it's just that Jay P. is actually a scientist whereas Jdaw1 is very good at counting.

I'm not sure that Fred's "stick a glass of port in the microwave" experiment would provide a reliable answer to the question. It sounds a bit like sticking your hand in a coal fire to prove that you can get sunburn :shock: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, this marvelous question has made me consider dusting down my "Human DNA in Port" debate. Watch this space - I need a drink first :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Raditation and port

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=313]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Quiz. What piece of low-level nuclear waste, that is also drinking apparatus, am I using Churchill’s White Porto to attempt to make safer? And how?
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

What are you attempting to make safer, the Churchill white port or your piece of junk? :)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Trying to make the glassware safe to use.

Post by jdaw1 »

Trying to make the glassware safe to use.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The radiation must have an effect on the port, but the question is how much and I don't have a clue as to what the answer is.

However, as an aside, I would not expect the impact on the flavour to be too great as radiation is being / has been considered as a means of sterilising and preserving food in place of freezing or other techniques. From what I recall, it was found to be effective but the products that had big labels saying "STERILIZED WITH GAMMA RADIATION" did not prove to be popular with the public.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

there was quite an amusing thread on microwaving wine on Spectator where one of the fellow posters microwaved some scotch and singed his nose hairs.. :D