World Cup 2014

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

World Cup 2014

Post by RAYC »

Yikes - some interesting groups...

- Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia

- Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon

- Uruguay, Italy, England, Costa Rica

- Germany, Portugal, USA, Ghana

I'd imagine Chile in particular will be annoyed that Pots 1 and 4 yielded Spain and Netherlands, while Uruguay can rightly have cause to grumble about "Potgate"

Ivory Coast, on the other hand, finally caught a reasonable break!
Last edited by RAYC on 23:47 Fri 06 Dec 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by Glenn E. »

Germany, Portugal, USA, Ghana sounds like the Group of Death this time around. :(
Glenn Elliott
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Glenn E. wrote:Germany, Portugal, USA, Ghana sounds like the Group of Death this time around. :(
Hmmm...maybe from a European perspective it is different, but i don't think that one particularly stands out above the others. But coming from Pot 3, it was always going to be difficult for USA to avoid a hard draw. Be thankful it was Australia that got Spain, Netherlands and Chile!
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Germany will be Germany, so it is one from three. I think Portugal will have huge support in Brazil and probably have the edge on the USA anyway so I think it's an easy Germany & Portugal outcome from that group.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:"Potgate"
Also see the BBC article How to kill off World Cup 'group of death', which makes the obvious and utterly sensible proposal.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:Germany will be Germany, so it is one from three. I think Portugal will have huge support in Brazil and probably have the edge on the USA anyway so I think it's an easy Germany & Portugal outcome from that group.
Portugal struggled to qualify from a qualification group that was relatively weak to start with - even with Ronaldo, they do not look like the team they were in the second half of the 2000s. USA have everything to play for.
jdaw1 wrote:
RAYC wrote:"Potgate"
Also see the BBC article How to kill off World Cup 'group of death', which makes the obvious and utterly sensible proposal.

The rationale for the current "pot" system is, i believe, that once you've sorted the top 8, you organise in such a way as to avoid eg: a wholly European group or a group with 3 of the 5 African teams. There is still some merit to this, i think. But you would avoid the scenario where Spain, Netherlands and Chile are drawn together. hmmm!
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:The rationale for the current "pot" system is, i believe, that once you've sorted the top 8, you organise in such a way as to avoid eg: a wholly European group or a group with 3 of the 5 African teams. There is still some merit to this, i think. But you would avoid the scenario where Spain, Netherlands and Chile are drawn together. hmmm!
If one wanted a ‘diverse’ set of teams in the knock-out stages, the ideal would be to have an all-African group guaranteeing that one goes through.

That works less well for Europeans. When I’ve been in Africa folks seem to cheer their own team, or absent same, other African teams. That doesn’t seem to work in Europe: when England are out, we don’t seem to cheer France or Germany. So all-European groups wouldn’t do much good, but equally wouldn’t do much harm.

FIFA have contrived the opposite.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:FIFA have contrived the opposite.
Fifa also contrived that having a World Cup in mid summer on the Arabian peninsular was a good idea. You might be hoping for a level of competence that is somewhat absent.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Possibly also worth considering that a group of death is good for TV ratings. It isn't there by accident.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:If one wanted a ‘diverse’ set of teams in the knock-out stages, the ideal would be to have an all-African group guaranteeing that one goes through
No - they want a diverse set of teams in each of the pools at the league stage (not the knock-out stages).

The African teams have all played each other multiple times in the qualifying rounds just to get to the World Cup and in the biennial Aftican Cup of Nations (likewise the Oceanic teams, Sout American Teams, Asian teams and North American teams). It makes no sense for these teams to go to a world cup once every 4 years only to play each other all over again.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:The African teams have all played each other multiple times in the qualifying rounds just to get to the World Cup and in the biennial Aftican Cup of Nations (likewise the Oceanic teams, Sout American Teams, Asian teams and North American teams). It makes no sense for these teams to go to a world cup once every 4 years only to play each other all over again.
Very good you have convinced me.