Formula 1 - is it corrupt?

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Formula 1 - is it corrupt?

Post by DRT »

I have watched 16 of the 17 F1 GPs this year and been impressed by the level of competition following the departure of Michael Schumacer at the end of last season. I have been particularly impressed with young Mr Hamilton's ability to largely ignore the political side of the sport and just get on with driving really fast.

However, 2 incidents lead me to suspect that this was not going to be Lewis's year regardless of how fast he could drive.

1. At the Chinese GP 2 weeks ago his team left him out on the track for 2 or 3 laps with a rear tyre that was quite obviously falling apart. He did not finish the race, and therefore did not clinch the title, as a direct result of this seemimgly stupid decision.

2. Old Bernie Eccleston (son of Yoda?) was interviewed on the grid 5 minutes before today's race in Brazil and declared that he didn't think this was a good time for Lewis to win the title and that he thought Rikonen deserved to win. I watched with utter amazement as Lewis's McLaren Mercedes (which has been bullet proof all season) developed an "electrical fault" which seemed to disengage his gearbox for 40 seconds on lap 7 as 17 of his competitors tore off into the distance. A quick instruction over the radio to change a setting on his computer and hey presto the car was perfect once more. I was then further amazed to see his team switch him to a 3 pitstop strategy whilst everyone else stayed on 2 stops. This prevented him from getting back up to 5th place and therefore ended his title hopes for 2007. The result is now history and Bernie turned out to be 100% correct :roll:

I don't believe that these were clean races. It is just not credible that a team with the experience of McLaren would make such fundamental errors and that a car would die for just long enough to make sure he couldn't win and spring back to life . I have been watching this sport for 25 years and am convinced that what has happened in the last 2 races is connected to the cheating scandal that led to McLaren having to give up all of their constructors championship points whilst their drivers were left with theirs to keep the most exciting season in decades on the right track.

I wonder, was there a second penalty imposed on Mclaren by Bernie & Co where they were instructed to inflict some misfortune upon themselves to ensure their drivers did not win?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I would reply with my thoughts, but unfortunately the laws of libel are vigorously pursued by Bernie Eccleston and the FIA, so I shall simply confine myself to saying that I am a great fan of Formula 1 but will not be convinced of the fairness of the driver's championships until there are 20 races a season and each driver drives in each car once across the course of a season's races. Only then will the sport be forced to be clean when comparing the abilities of the drivers.

But, in my opinion, this will never happen while Bernie is in charge.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 00:39 Wed 24 Oct 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alex,

I can't believe we have 2 geeky interests in common :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember, Bernie can't read PM's :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Formula 1 - is it corrupt?

Post by mosesbotbol »

Derek T. wrote: I don't believe that these were clean races. It is just not credible that a team with the experience of McLaren would make such fundamental errors and that a car would die for just long enough to make sure he couldn't win and spring back to life
I agree, how could someone who has been the most perfect driver (perhaps one of the most perfect ever) of the year make two mistakes like that? As soon as pulled over in the pit lane I thought it was a setup. Same with the gearbox problem. Hamilton's real only mistake was trying to pass Alonso. Maybe two way telemetry is working and Hamilton did not intend his car to stall? Bernie hit the secret red button?

I guess I could see McLaren throwing Alonso a bone with making Hamilton slow on the last two races? The truth is stranger than fiction in F1. I wonder why US bookmakers don't take bets on F1, lol...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Moses,

I think this all has more to do with the cheating scandal earlier in the season that commentators are willing to talk about.

Mclaren were thrown out of the constructors championship for cheating mid way through the season yet their drivers were allowed to continue to compete in the drivers championship. If they hadn't been allowed to do that the sport would have lost massive amounts of money from public and sponsorship interests as both championships would have been over as contests with 6 or 7 races still to run. My suspicion is that the notion of the drivers being let off was a scam and that mclaren were told to ensure that neither Hamilton or Alonso won the championship. They then ensured that outcome by interfering with the result of the last two races though a range of ridiculous looking decisions on strategy.

It will be interesting to see how the appeal by mclaren on feul irregularities in the last race turns out. History says that the IFA should uphold the appeal and disqualify the offending teams thereby handing the championship to Hamilton. I will be astounded if that happens.

Derek

PS: I wonder if Bernie was on the grassy knoll?
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

My prediction for the outcome of the fuel temperature scandal - that the offending teams will be fined, but that the race result will be allowed to stand.

Why do I suggest this? Not from the basis of any conspiracy theory, but simply from equitable treatment of the drivers. Hamilton probably shoould have been penalised in China for his dangerous (and illegal) driving behind the safety car where he slowed and speeded at will. According to the rules, he must remain within a specified distance of the safety car and he blatantly did not do so. In theory, he should have been penalised with the equivalent of a stop go penalty or points deduction - but he was not.

In practice for Brazil, Hamilton used two sets of wet weather tyres. Again this was a breach of the rules and should have lost him 10 places on the grid. However, the stewards decided to fine McLaren as it was their mistake and not that of Hamilton.

My prediction for the outcome of the fuel temperature debate - fines and points deductions for the teams but since "it was not the mistake of the drivers" then the results will be allowed to stand.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alex,

I think your prediction will come true. However, I think the driver is part of the team and if either the driver or his team break the rules then both should suffer the consequences.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn