A reason to get up early

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19752
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by jdaw1 » 20:40 Fri 09 Oct 2015

I wonder whether Mr Toad is giving up house boating (= port drinking) for the joy of motoring (= astronomy in a cloudy country). Is there any evidence to support this hypothesis?

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by DRT » 20:47 Fri 09 Oct 2015

jdaw1 wrote:I wonder whether Mr Toad is giving up house boating (= port drinking) for the joy of motoring (= astronomy in a cloudy country). Is there any evidence to support this hypothesis?
No. Mr Toad gave up daily house boating to increase his life expectancy. He took up motoring as a replacement for hill walking, which is no longer possible. A slight shift in investment vehicles might have eased the transition, but both house boating and motoring will continue in moderation.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by djewesbury » 23:55 Fri 09 Oct 2015

Sorry. I got here late. But I wanted to point out that nobody self-identifies as politically correct. (By the way, politically correct is a phrase containing an attributive adverb. Why did you hyphenate it? The only reason I haven't reported you is that I find you such a recalcitrant student and I hate correcting your work.) Politically correct is a phrase only used by people who want to say that they are not politically correct, whatever that means. And last time I looked, political correctness had gone mad. That was possibly around 1998. Since then, everyone has just tried to be nice.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by DRT » 06:35 Sat 10 Oct 2015

The Moon, Jupiter, Mars (very, very dim) and Venus in alignment this morning...
Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 06.33.48.png
Screen Shot 2015-10-10 at 06.33.48.png (473.85 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by djewesbury » 09:22 Sat 10 Oct 2015

Some specks of dirt on your lens there Del.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19752
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by jdaw1 » 11:48 Sat 10 Oct 2015

djewesbury wrote:Sorry. I got here late. But I wanted to point out that nobody self-identifies as politically correct. (By the way, politically correct is a phrase containing an attributive adverb. Why did you hyphenate it? The only reason I haven't reported you is that I find you such a recalcitrant student and I hate correcting your work.) Politically correct is a phrase only used by people who want to say that they are not politically correct, whatever that means. And last time I looked, political correctness had gone mad. That was possibly around 1998. Since then, everyone has just tried to be nice.
What a garbled paragraph—multiple complaints, no organisation.
djewesbury wrote:nobody self-identifies as politically correct
Interestingly absolutist, but let’s ignore that. Those who, particularly on Amercan campuses, seemingly dedicate their lives to finding and exaggerating the slightest ‘micro-agression’: how do they describe themselves?

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by djewesbury » 11:59 Sat 10 Oct 2015

jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Sorry. I got here late. But I wanted to point out that nobody self-identifies as politically correct. (By the way, politically correct is a phrase containing an attributive adverb. Why did you hyphenate it? The only reason I haven't reported you is that I find you such a recalcitrant student and I hate correcting your work.) Politically correct is a phrase only used by people who want to say that they are not politically correct, whatever that means. And last time I looked, political correctness had gone mad. That was possibly around 1998. Since then, everyone has just tried to be nice.
What a garbled paragraph—multiple complaints, no organisation.
I'm quite happy that the main sin was accepted and atoned for in the Other Place.
jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:nobody self-identifies as politically correct
Interestingly absolutist, but let’s ignore that. Those who, particularly on Amercan campuses, seemingly dedicate their lives to finding and exaggerating the slightest ‘micro-agression’: how do they describe themselves?
I honestly have not heard anyone except Rod Liddle and Jeremy Clarkson (and now you) use the words 'politically correct' (or, in your case, 'politically-correct') in recent decades. It's a gibe that fills me with nostalgia for the dying days of John Major's government, propped up by David Trimble's Ulster Unionist Party as they teeter from disaster to disaster, the streets left uncleaned, the dead left unburied because everyone was too bored to die, the nuns falling off their bikes as they cycle across cricket pitches that the groundsman has spiked with over-toasted crumpets.

More seriously, I think the coinage of the term in the USA in the 1980s is really so long ago, and the backlash against it was so extreme, that nobody currently wishing to suggest that perhaps language could be used with some sensitivity (to history, to any one of the many multiple barriers to equality of opportunity) would ever dream of calling themselves politically correct. Your opponent is a straw man, a vestige of political debates of the last millennium. You need to find a new one.

You call me absolutist, but I say that your phraseology is fallacious. Prove me wrong - and I will happily use the thread provided for acknowledgement of same.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19752
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by jdaw1 » 13:12 Sat 10 Oct 2015

I will attempt to find one person — one person would be enough to default “nobody” — who self-identifies as politically correct, with or without hyphen, and upon finding will invite the obvious.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by DRT » 17:41 Sat 10 Oct 2015

Please take your discussion to another thread.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by djewesbury » 20:02 Sat 10 Oct 2015

Well you're an admin. Don't tell us to do it. You have the power.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by DRT » 23:28 Sat 10 Oct 2015

djewesbury wrote:Well you're an admin. Don't tell us to do it. You have the power.
An Admin who hijacks a thread should be gracious enough to do the work.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19752
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by jdaw1 » 10:33 Sun 11 Oct 2015

My head is swimming with being ill. Derek: choose the posts; move them; delete this one.

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2493
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by PhilW » 10:58 Sun 11 Oct 2015

Did any of our more northern members see, or even better photograph the northern lights these last couple of nights?

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by djewesbury » 10:59 Sun 11 Oct 2015

Sorry. Too cloudy.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11382
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by AHB » 00:30 Sat 21 Nov 2015

It may be effing freezing outside this event by, but it's a beautiful clear sky.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by DRT » 00:57 Sat 21 Nov 2015

AHB wrote:It may be effing freezing outside this event by, but it's a beautiful clear sky.
Not here :(
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3680
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by LGTrotter » 01:12 Tue 12 Jan 2016

I saw a shooting star. With the skys we've been having, seeing any star seems like a bleeding miracle.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by DRT » 01:30 Tue 12 Jan 2016

LGTrotter wrote:With the skys we've been having, seeing any star seems like a bleeding miracle.
+1 :(
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

TLW
Taylor’s LBV
Posts: 172
Joined: 07:51 Sat 01 Dec 2012

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by TLW » 00:33 Thu 14 Jan 2016

Looks like a good reason to be up early - or late - over the weekend if the skies are clear.

http://earthsky.org/space/comet-catalin ... -394533365

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by DRT » 01:43 Thu 14 Jan 2016

I have been hoping to have a date with Catalina for many weeks but the two of us just don't seem to be in the right place at the right time : :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3680
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by LGTrotter » 01:52 Thu 14 Jan 2016

You've got a lovely high pressure coming in over the weekend, should be some clear skys. Wrap up warm though because it will be chilly. Minus ten to fifteen mentioned on the weather forecast. I hope this won't prove a problem for your twelve incher.

I nearly made it through without an innuendo.

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3680
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by LGTrotter » 02:08 Thu 14 Jan 2016

Having read about this comet it sounds like one for the connoisseur, a Duckworth-Lewis for star-gazers. In other words most of us will have no idea what's going on.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by DRT » 20:40 Fri 22 Jan 2016

Howl away, Gentlemen...
IMG_2452.jpg
IMG_2452.jpg (53.88 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
Only 99% this evening but tomorrow's 100% full Moon is likely to be hidden by cloud.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3349
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by Glenn E. » 22:47 Fri 22 Jan 2016

Very nice!
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11382
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: A reason to get up early

Post by AHB » 22:57 Fri 22 Jan 2016

What happened to the comet I failed to see?
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

Post Reply