It's just not cricket

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: It's just not cricket

Post by DRT »

I have tried watching some of this but find the constant chatter from the microphones at the wicket too much of a distraction. Technology is not always beneficial to the experience of watching sport and this is one example I think the world could live without.

From what I have seen Owen's summary is spot on. Nothing much coming from the SA side. What has happened to the Cookster? He has been doing so well recently but appears to have regressed to the form of 18 months ago. Give yourself a shake man.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Cook and Root should be dropped for being out of form.

On a serious note, did anyone else enjoy Ebony Rainford-Brent's contributions to the one day and T20 Test Match Special commentaries? She seems to have really come into her own for the series against Pakistan. She and Tuffers are just brilliant when handing over to each other.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

What happened to that story about South Africa being the best team in the world? :?

A magnificent display of batting from Stokes and Bairstow.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC website has a typo: a team has declared on 629 for 6 wickets, this being described — obviously erroneously — as “England”. Doubtless a silly error.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:The BBC website has a typo: a team has declared on 629 for 6 wickets, this being described — obviously erroneously — as “England”. Doubtless a silly error.
The same error appears to have gone viral around the web and social media. A further ridiculous claim is that two "English batsmen" scored more than 400 runs between them in a single innings. Do they think we are all daft?
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:The BBC website has a typo: a team has declared on 629 for 6 wickets, this being described — obviously erroneously — as “England”. Doubtless a silly error.
The same error appears to have gone viral around the web and social media. A further ridiculous claim is that two "English batsmen" scored more than 400 runs between them in a single innings. Do they think we are all daft?
But a mere 399 partnership, they must both be kicking themselves for their indiscipline. #missingBell.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

LGTrotter wrote:But a mere 399 partnership, they must both be kicking themselves for their indiscipline.
Is the missing run really the fault of both?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

jdaw1 wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:But a mere 399 partnership, they must both be kicking themselves for their indiscipline.
Is the missing run really the fault of both?
Oh yes; Stokes got out and if Bairstow had got on with it rather than shilly-shallying around with his century the 400 would have been got.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I was thinking this will be a draw then I remembered it is only day two, perhaps it is a function of back to back tests but it seems to have gone on much longer. Root dropping AB...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I'm listening again to the first session from this morning. It seems a good way to top and tail a Sunday.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The gloss seems to have come off somewhat.

What explains so many centuries and two double centuries in the same innings?

Should the groundsman be sacked?
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I rather think the South African team will slip him a purse of sovereigns, or possibly Krugerrands, they have hardly scored a run in ages and now they have had plenty of time at the crease with lots of confidence boosting runs. Dull as ditchwater for the rest of us but who cares about the reputation of test cricket when there are egos to be smoothed.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Indeed. It doesn't do the game any good to see so many high scores and a pitch that seems to ensure no team will be bowled out. If only Bell was there he could have thrown in the towel early tomorrow morning and made a game of it :-)

These high scores aside, I did smile when I read this earlier today.
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Final session in Cape Town, bad light and rain look like bringing it to a close as a draw. What a bizarre final few sessions of a test. Credit to Amla and Bavuma - they really did dig SA out of a hole and a loss in this one.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:I did smile when I read this earlier today.
I bet his averages look good this season!
flash_uk wrote:Final session in Cape Town, bad light and rain look like bringing it to a close as a draw. What a bizarre final few sessions of a test. Credit to Amla and Bavuma - they really did dig SA out of a hole and a loss in this one.
I wasn't quite as hysterical as Aggers was about this one, I just couldn't see it being anything other than a draw, even at six down. You are right about Amla and Bavuma, I would add de Villiers to the list, with much talk of adapting to the situation of the game he did just that. England seem to find this very difficult.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

We had the commentary on in the office on the last day and were really looking forward to England being bowled out for around 170 with 30 overs left for South Africa. The target might have been tempting enough to persuade them to chase it and who knows what might then have happened with the ball swinging, seaming and spinning.

That could have made for a terrific last day of cricket with 20 wickets falling for around 320 runs. I love test cricket, you can have 4 days of predictability (some might say boring, but I didn't think any of the centurion's innings were boring even if it does turn out that Stokes's achievement was perhaps more easy than we had first thought) and then it all explodes in a day of madness.

What a pity the weather intervened and saved England from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory again.

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I don't think Stokes's achievement was easy in any conditions. The SR for him and for Amla tells you a lot.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:I don't think Stokes's achievement was easy in any conditions.
Quite.
AHB wrote: who knows what might then have happened with the ball swinging, seaming and spinning..
The only team I saw moving the ball were South Africa. Anderson particularly seemed innocuous. And I still think it had draw written all over it. Any test with a double century on each side kind of has to be.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I assume Bell, soon to be Sir Ian, will be recalled for the third test to shore up the middle order?

But I have much hope for Taylor, another Tendulkar. Well he's short and his name begins with 't'.

I want to see Joss Buttler back.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Another good day for test cricket. Stokes can't help himself at the moment and I was glad that Root got some runs. Still a few more runs to knock off but it is looking more hopeful than at 90-4.

Does anyone have an answer to the opener conundrum? Because it doesn't look like Hales is it.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Bell?
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I pop out to do a bit of shopping and come back to this! It's all over (mostly) and Broad has done it.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I received an email over the weekend to say that my name had come up trumps in the ballot for tickets to see day 2 of the Lord's test against Sri Lanka. I bought two tickets in the Compton Stand (5-4-97 and 98) and would be happy to offer the spare ticket to someone who wanted to join me - face value is £60.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I should also offer my support and best wishes to Scotland as they fought to a valiant draw against Hong Kong in their 4 day game.

I also wish them the best of luck in the one day series starting tonight.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:I received an email over the weekend to say that my name had come up trumps in the ballot for tickets to see day 2 of the Lord's test against Sri Lanka. I bought two tickets in the Compton Stand (5-4-97 and 98) and would be happy to offer the spare ticket to someone who wanted to join me - face value is £60.
If there is a proper cricket fan able to accept this kind offer, then that proper cricket fan should accompany Alex on Friday 10th June 2016. But if not, and only if not, even though it seems to be an inefficient use of a ticket, I would like to accompany Alex.

Please could I be first reserve?