High spirits: Who drinks most vodka, gin, whisky and rum?

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: High spirits: Who drinks most vodka, gin, whisky and rum

Post by RAYC »

These are figures for just "Scotch Whisky"....? Seems like quite a precise sub-set by comparison to, say, "rum"!
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Even so, I was surprised that the French drink more ‟Scotch whisky” than any other country. Not per head; total.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Both per capita and total, no?

I agree surprising, although just about every village bar i've been into over there has a bottle of Cutty Sark!

I have trouble believing the figures for US on "Scotch Whisky" unless their definition excludes the various American whiskey types
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

RAYC wrote:unless their definition excludes the various American whiskey types
Would they be using the legal definition of Scotch? In which case it really is very specific.
Wikipedia wrote:The Scotch Whisky Regulations (2009) define "Scotch whisky" as whisky that is:
Produced at a distillery in Scotland from water and malted barley (to which only whole grains of other cereals may be added) all of which have been:
  • Processed at that distillery into a mash
  • Converted at that distillery to a fermentable substrate only by endogenous enzyme systems
  • Fermented at that distillery only by adding yeast
  • Distilled at an alcoholic strength by volume of less than 94.8% (190 US proof)
  • Wholly matured in an excise warehouse in Scotland in oak casks of a capacity not exceeding 700 litres (185 US gal; 154 imp gal) for at least three years
  • Retaining the colour, aroma, and taste of the raw materials used in, and the method of, its production and maturation
  • Containing no added substances, other than water and plain (E150A) caramel colouring
  • Comprising a minimum alcoholic strength by volume of 40% (80 US proof)
Also here.
Interesting that E150A is permitted. Why??
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

djewesbury wrote:
RAYC wrote:unless their definition excludes the various American whiskey types
Would they be using the legal definition of Scotch? In which case it really is very specific.
If they are not using the legal definition of Scotch Whisky, then India would surely also be higher....?
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Exactly. India's whisky consumption is mainly 'Indian-Made Foreign Liquor' or 'Domestic Foreign Liquor'. Basically all their spirits are made from molasses and 'flavoured' with the appropriate additives. I remember the headache...
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

RAYC wrote:I have trouble believing the figures for US on "Scotch Whisky" unless their definition excludes the various American whiskey types
Ahem. Those are Bourbon, not "Scotch Whisky." They taste nothing like Scotch; rather their flavor profile is more closely aligned with Irish Whiskey. Including Bourbon in a category called "Scotch Whisky" would likely be considered an act of war across most of the South.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:Including Bourbon in a category called "Scotch Whisky" would likely be considered an act of war across most of the South.
Much Scotch whisky is matured in ex-Bourbon casks.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Glenn E. wrote:
RAYC wrote:I have trouble believing the figures for US on "Scotch Whisky" unless their definition excludes the various American whiskey types
Ahem. Those are Bourbon, not "Scotch Whisky." They taste nothing like Scotch; rather their flavor profile is more closely aligned with Irish Whiskey. Including Bourbon in a category called "Scotch Whisky" would likely be considered an act of war across most of the South.
But "Bourbon" in not the only type of American whiskey... And doesn't the most famous brand refuse to be called "Bourbon"?!
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Very true. (Your spelling made me check my facts; I had thought 'whiskey' was peculiar to Ireland. I was wrong.)
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Given the shelf space it is given in every international airport and almost every bar in the world that I have ever visited I am surprised that Scotch Whisky consumption is so low.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Given the shelf space it is given in every international airport and almost every bar in the world that I have ever visited
It might have a large share of the premium market your employer hopefully not accommodating you in the nastiest B&Bs without capturing much of the market you avoid.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:Very true. (Your spelling made me check my facts; I had thought 'whiskey' was peculiar to Ireland. I was wrong.)
Canadians aside*, it is rather interesting that the two whiskeys have similar flavor profiles that differ from whisky. This appears to be coincidence.

I also learned that as a general rule, American Whiskey is single distilled, Scotch Whisky is double distilled, and Irish Whiskey is triple distilled. This accounts for the rougher nature of American Whiskey when compared to Irish Whiskey despite their similar flavor profiles.

*Canadians seem to use whiskey and whisky interchangeably, or at the very least assign them to products seemingly at random.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:as a general rule! Scotch Whisky is double distilled
Campbeltown whiskies used to have sesquiduplicate distillation, in that half was distilled twice and half thrice. Might still be true.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Does Scotch have a monopoly on "Whisky" - other than when mis-used by ex-French colonialists?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:Does Scotch have a monopoly on "Whisky" - other than when mis-used by ex-French colonialists?
The opposite - the Irish and Americans are the outliers when it comes to spelling...at least when spelt in English...
Rob C.