Meaningless Quiz!

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Al-B,

I would have a mild interest, but only secondary to the point of this thread.
Remember to dismiss Al-K's punt and my guess as to what P is, if neither are correct, to keep me thinking or to put me out of my misery.

Al-C
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
Derek T. wrote:
Conky wrote:He was looking for a cork that might provide an interesting question!
No, there will be a far more serious reason than that.
Uh, no there isn't. And I'm not prepared to divulge what the real reason was. Sorry.
Oh, go on? You know you want to tell us, and I promise no one will think you are in any way strange :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Incidentally, my guess is that you were checking for signs of glue-fatigue on re-constructed corks just in case any required renovation work to be carried out.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

KillerB wrote:Fonseca Garcia & Prazeres
Uh - if that's the answer then it's not the one that I was expecting. What's your source?

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I randomly put FGP Fonseca into Google and that was the number one answer. I thought that I would give it a punt and see if it confused you. I think they are Portuguese solicitors.
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

KillerB wrote:I randomly put FGP Fonseca into Google and that was the number one answer. I thought that I would give it a punt and see if it confused you. I think they are Portuguese solicitors.
:D

I'll wait a while and then offer a little clue.

KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

If Tsunami pops into this section he may have the answer. Uncle Tom normally has a few random pieces of information lurking behind his eyes. Leave it for a bit until the experts arrive.

I assume that it is not Fonseca Guimaraens Port nor Partnership
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

OK. This is where I 'fess up. While I know what the label on the bottle said (and therefor the shipper) I have no idea what the FGP stands for. If it's associated wth Fonseca, that will be quite revealing, but I suspect that it may be something to do with the relatively small volume shipper having to use standard corks.

So, I promised a clue that wasn't too obvious. How about "The fourth generation to be in the port trade.". That seems pretty obscure to me.

Alex

Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Alex,

I might be being dim, but that's confused me greatly. You dont know what the cork initials stand for, but we're now guessing what the label says?

And the clue is 'Fourth Generation'? That would be the Guimaraens family wouldn't it?

Help???

Alan
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Alan,

Part of the reason that I posted this question was that I don't have a clue what the letters FGP stand for, although I do know what the label said on the bottle - hence I was asking for (and know) the shipper. I don't know what the connection is between the letters FGP and the shipper's name, but there must be one.

Actually, I'm now starting to wonder if Fonseca Guimaraens did the bottling on behalf of the shipper. I doubt it, but I wonder...

Anyway, here's Clue 2
This port was shipped under a family name, a name more closely associated over time with two specific single quinta ports than with ports blended and shipped under the family name.

Alex