Autumn Internationals

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Autumn Internationals

Post by RAYC »

An interesting bit of reverse psychology?

Of the many things you could call Ashton, i doubt this would be on many shortlists...!

(By the way, was that QPR playing the ABs last saturday....? :roll:)
Rob C.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Autumn Internationals

Post by benread »

AHB and I will report back later tonight I expect! (I believe he is there today and I certainly am, barring some very unfortunate happening in the next 3 hours or so!)
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

RAYC wrote:(By the way, was that QPR playing the ABs last saturday....? :roll:)
I did have an Australian with me today who was asking if I knew why England were playing in Queensland colours today, instead of the customary white. I have no idea.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

No idea either - certainly not because of a clash with the green and gold.

But for the "second" kit itself, the "regal" purple does, apparently, have some meaning:
Telegraph wrote:the latest version is said to be modelled on the former ‟regal purple” presentation jackets that were wore by England players during the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s.
England head coach Stuart Lancaster has requested a return of these jackets as a piece of kit that would be exclusive to senior elite players to ‟represent the pride that comes from representing their country”.
And two ex-captains, neither known for pulling their punches, seemed to give the purple kit the seal of approval back in 2009:
Daily Mail wrote:The decision to change colour prompted Will Carling, the former Grand Slam-winning captain, to say: ‘It makes me think about when I first played for England. I remember when I played England school- boys and you got the purple tracksuit. For me, the colour purple means England rugby.’

Steve Borthwick, the current captain, said: ‘I associate the colour with one of the golden eras of the English game. I remember seeing heroes such as Will Carling, Rory Underwood and Jerry Guscott lining up for the anthem wearing the purple tracksuit.’
Enjoyable game, i thought. Promising for England despite the loss (even if the papers are more critical) - especially last 20 minutes. Waldrom starting to look very solid.

But still a little way off this type of stuff...depth, support, offload and handling just in a different league! (we could do with a Greenwood as well....too reliant on crash bang at 12-13 against an Australian side well-drilled in defence against big lads from SA-NZ)
Rob C.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

It was not a match that excited me as a spectator. Too much time spent by the (French?) referee seeking second opinions that were not required. Did he actually overall his two touch judges and go 'upstairs' for a decision on that penalty attempt crossing the bar?!

If England play like that again on the next two weekends, I fear we will get embarrassed in the way Ireland B (or whatever they were called) beat the Fijiians last night - more comprehensively than we did!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I enjoyed watching the Wallabies playing the guys in Queen's colours. An enjoyable game indeed. England had the beating of them if they had more discipline or if they had made the obviously correct decisions at critical points in the game. The All Blacks game should be fun to watch.

I'm still too scared to look to see what happened north of Hadrian's Wall. Please break it to me gently :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

benread wrote: Too much time spent by the (French?) referee seeking second opinions that were not required. Did he actually overall his two touch judges and go 'upstairs' for a decision on that penalty attempt crossing the bar?!
On the TV it looked like one of the two touch judges asked the ref to send it up for confirmation
DRT wrote:I enjoyed watching the Wallabies playing the guys in Queen's colours. An enjoyable game indeed. England had the beating of them if they had more discipline or if they had made the obviously correct decisions at critical points in the game. The All Blacks game should be fun to watch.

I'm still too scared to look to see what happened north of Hadrian's Wall. Please break it to me gently :roll:
Didn't watch, but a creditable performance i am told. Albeit another loss...
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:a creditable performance i am told. Albeit another loss...
Sounds like yet another "Glorious Defeat".

Queue lone piper on roof of football/rugby stadium and sing...

Oh Archie Gemmil
When will we see
Your likes again...

:sad:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Another stunning display by my countrymen, which is being hailed as the worst result in the history of Scottish rugby. I'm so glad I missed it.

England were out-classed by the Bocks - no doubt the Captain will lose his armband for the indecision at the end of the game.

The All Blacks are looking awesome. Anyone who suggests that the beautifully placed forearm to the temple in the first minute is the difference between the teams is missing a brain. Lots of the commentators and pundits seem to be in that camp, which is disappointing given that hey have all given someone a sly dig at some point in their career.

It is not a good time for northern hemisphere rugby.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:Another stunning display by my countrymen, which is being hailed as the worst result in the history of Scottish rugby. I'm so glad I missed it.

England were out-classed by the Bocks - no doubt the Captain will lose his armband for the indecision at the end of the game.

The All Blacks are looking awesome. Anyone who suggests that the beautifully placed forearm to the temple in the first minute is the difference between the teams is missing a brain. Lots of the commentators and pundits seem to be in that camp, which is disappointing given that hey have all given someone a sly dig at some point in their career.

It is not a good time for northern hemisphere rugby.
I think this is a bit pessimistic (though, being Scottish, i can see why your judgement may be particularly coloured!). Worth bearing in mind that the Southern Hemisphere teams are at the end of their international seasons and therefore have some advantage in terms of operating as a team unit.

I have not yet watched the England game, but it sounded like a close one and a somewhat fortuitous try for SA. Coming on the back of intense criticism for similar types of decisions last week, the conundrum of what to do with a penalty in the 78th minute seems unenviable to me and a bit of a lose-lose situation for the captain.

The Welsh slump since winning the Grand Slam last year has been rather impressive, however. A lot of Lions places now up for grabs!
Rob C.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've just finished watching a recording of England's match this afternoon. What an enjoyable game! But then I am an England fan.

And I got my tickets for next summer's Ashes this morning :)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I watched it yesterday. The first half was very dull from a (not really) neutral's point of view with neither try line being threatened and lots of errors. The second half was very entertaining and I have to admit the England team deserved the victory. Their reaction to the All Blacks' two quick tries at the beginning of the second half was simply stunning.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

It was a surreal game.

On the couple of occasions that they pulled themselves together, the All Blacks looked utterly devastating. Like many, i guess, i thought it was game over when they came to life early second half and pegged it back to 15-14 with two ruthless tries in quick succession. Again, at the end, even a two try margin going into the last 5 minutes wouldn't have been comfortable.

But for England it was one of those rare days when every man on the field seemed to be having a blinder - line-outs looked effortless, the ruck work was outstanding and the front five absolutely blitzed their NZ counterparts. Although i was cursing it at the time, i think Lancaster did a good job by emptying the bench with 10-15 minutes to go and making the whole squad part of the victory.

Launchbury and Wood look like stars in the making, and i have a lot of time for both Farrell and Burns. I still have doubts about the Tuilagi-Barritt combination, and think their attacking performance was flattered by some particularly (and uncharacteristically) poor NZ defence.

Again, and without wanting to downplay England's achievement yesterday (second biggest defeat for NZ in 498 tests!), i find the quasi-manic depressive reaction of the press to England performances rather baffling.

Oh....and NZ-Eng-Wales as a possible WC group...
Last edited by RAYC on 17:57 Mon 03 Dec 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:I still have doubts about the Tuilagi-Barritt combination, and think their attacking performance was flattered by some particularly (and uncharacteristically) poor NZ defence
I agree. The AB's were undoubtedly poor and looked battle weiry in the latter stages of the game. Another worry for England must be Ashton's astonishingly shelfish behaviour in swan diving over the line for his first try in seven tests. The arrogance of the man is astounding. Others made that try, not him, and he had no right to risk losing the opportunity to score. Just put the thing down on the ground and say thanks to those who made you look good. What a w&nker.
Ernest H. Cockburn
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

I got pilloried on the UK wine pages for suggesting that while England did much better than they have done, the opposition weren't at their usual awesome best. Made a quip about being softened up by the winter vomiting bug. Did not go down well at all! Glad to see some level headed analysis here :)
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

RAYC wrote:Oh....and NZ-Eng-Wales as a possible WC group...
Australia-England-Wales. Ouch.

From Eng/Wales perspective, this is possibly even worse - at least if it had been NZ, the other team through would only have to face NZ again in the final...

GREAT draw from Scottish perspective (but they needed it...)
Last edited by RAYC on 17:58 Mon 03 Dec 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

RAYC wrote:
RAYC wrote:Oh....and NZ-Eng-Wales as a possibile WC group...
Australia-England-Wales. Ouch.

From Eng/Wales perspective, this is possibly even worse - at least if it had been NZ, the other team through would only have to face NZ again in the final...

GREAT draw from Scottish perspective (but they needed it...)
From an Aussie perspective I wouldn't have wanted to have either England or Wales in the same group as us.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Yes - as a Tier One team, on paper that is literally the worst outcome that was possible for Australia!

Cunning plan by Gatland though: lose 7 matches in a row so Wales have the chance to put England out of their home world cup
Rob C.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

Although unlikely, that would be rather humiliating! England would be competitive at home I imagine.
SCP
Fonseca LBV

Post by SCP »

RAYC wrote:Cunning plan by Gatland though: lose 7 matches in a row so Wales have the chance to put England out of their home world cup
I feel that Wales won't be too happy about being put out of the world cup by Fiji... again.
(Oceania 1 in the fourth pot is the winner between a one-off match between Fiji and the Cook Islands or similar)