Classic British sporting footage

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Classic British sporting footage

Post by RAYC »

While the British press seem to be falling over themselves to see who can condemn Haye and Chisora for their Saturday-night antics in the strongest terms (notable and welcome exception here)...i thought i'd post this little gem from the early 90s

If only i had been old enough to appreciate this feud at the time.

The good stuff starts @2.55 - Shakespearean quotes, classic 80s suits, Barry Hearn...i just can't fathom anything remotely like this nowadays!

Highlights:

@3.54
Eubanks (on being interrupted by Benn): "Let'th have some parliamentary prothedure here..."
-------

@7.43
Interviewer: I have to say there seems an element of genuine hate between these two

Eubanks: I don't hate the man, i just want to take his W-B-O title. I pray that i have enough dignity not to hate the man. Hate doesn't come into it for me...hate destroys the game and makes it look brutal...

Benn (interrupting): I personally do hate him...i personally DO...HATE...him
Last edited by RAYC on 03:05 Tue 21 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Classic British sporting footage

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:If only i had been old enough to appreciate this feud at the time.
My only comment is that I was old enough to appreciate it at the time. Thanks for rubbing it in. :(
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:
RAYC wrote:If only i had been old enough to appreciate this feud at the time.
My only comment is that I was old enough to appreciate it at the time. Thanks for rubbing it in. :(
Though if it's of any comfort, that same year - 1990 - was the year of my first proper memories as a sports spectator.

The first was Italia 90 - David Platt's volley, late on a schoolnight, against Belgium to put England through to the quarters was the start of it, but it was the West Germans in the semis, with Paul Parker's cruel own goal; Lineker's sublime equalising strike; the rebound off the post in ET zinging just past Platt's outstretched foot; Chris Waddle, shorn of trademark mullet, blazing over in the shoot-out; and, of course, a still-innocent Gazza tearing up in what was surely the performance of his career, that i remember watching with my parents as vividly as yesterday.

The other memory from that year - which left me in tears for the remainder of the afternoon (and required a walk in Richmond Park with my father followed by consolation trips McDonald's and Blockbuster video) - was the horrible injustice suffered by the English at Murrayfield and the fluke bounce that wrong-footed Underwood and gave Stanger his opportunity (and the Scots their third and last Grand Slam...) after some clumsy and aimless hoof downfield. I can't even bring myself to link a video to it...
Last edited by RAYC on 02:56 Tue 21 Feb 2012, edited 5 times in total.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

You have just referenced one of the best sport-watching days of my life.

I remember it well. Worked overtime in the morning and then down to the local boozer with 15-20 workmates. We had guests in the pub - a rugby club from somewhere south of Watford. Beer >> watched the match >> beer >> some friendly banter >> beer >> some unfriendly banter >> beer >> more friendly banter. Both sides then had too much beer. More beer than seems possible. One of our guests then decided that it would be a good idea to hurl abuse (+fists and beer) at the locals. His friends dragged him outside, beat him up and then came back in to enjoy more beer with the locals. All in all, a great day out.

As for earliest sporting memories, these are mine:

Scottish Cup Final 1972 Celtic 6-1 Hibs
Archie Gemmill's goal - Argentina 1978
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

A stunner indeed. Though i am now stuck in a death spiral of youtube videos and getting no closer to bed!
Rob C.