Port as Art.

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Port as Art.

Post by Conky »

This is apparently 1962 Grahams Vintage Port in Art Form.

The accompanying note. Tasted on my father’s birthday and expressed by one of my grandfather’s paintings. William Saltzman.

From here.

Cant see it myself, but it takes all sorts.

Alan
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Fancy that , I was born in '62 . :shock:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What Grahams 1962? That picture is a figment of the artist's imagination.

:evil:

Mind you, its quite pretty and relaxing. But if I were to buy it today I would glare at it every time I looked at it thinking "Grahams 1962, my foot". Now if he'd called it Grahams 1962 LBV I could have believed him but there was no Grahams 1962.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 08:25 Thu 16 Aug 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The texture of the brushstrokes in the mauve area in the top right of the painting clearly demonstrate that it was a Grahams Malvedos 1962 :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

There's a definate peanut butter stroke in the bottom half .
BenjaminSaltzman
Cruz Ruby

Post by BenjaminSaltzman »

AHB wrote:What Grahams 1962? That picture is a figment of the artist's imagination.

:evil:

Mind you, its quite pretty and relaxing. But if I were to buy it today I would glare at it every time I looked at it thinking "Grahams 1962, my arse". Now if he'd called it Grahams 1962 LBV I could have believed him but there was no Grahams 1962.

Alex
While 1962 was no 1963, Grahams did make a Malvedos in 1962 and bottled it in 1964. It's therefore not an LBV. I received this bottle from a friend whose late father ran a small wine importing company. Surely, there is not much of it around, but here is a photograph to prove it!

All my best,
Benjamin

KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Much as I'd like to agree with you on this Benjamin, I'm afraid to say that Malvedos is not normally referred to as "Graham's Vintage Port", even if it is a VP made by Graham's. T'other Alex is quite right in his assertion and bah-humbug attitude.

Welcome to the site BTW, good to see you on-line and posting, even if it is with a very big picture.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Hi Benjamin,

I presume they are your photo's on the Chateau Petrogasm Site (Where the Port Painting comes from), very impressive.

I'm concerned you may have got a little confused with our Port Heads on this Forum. We generally consider Vintage Port to be the King of Ports. They come in Declared years. When the year is not declared, the Main Producers, have secondary Ports, which are still excellent, but a step down from Vintage Port.

The Painting, as pleasant as it is, just spiked my curiousity from the Port angle, and as my fellow Forumista's have confirmed, and your picture shows, Grahams 62 was a Malvedos year (The secondary Port).

I suspect 99% of the population would neither know or care for that distinction. And I apologise if you knew all of this already. If your actually into Port, welcome aboard, but even if your not, could you give an artists critique of the Painting and were the Artist was coming from. I'd find it interesting to see and hear how he developed this piece from his tasting.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Benjamin,

Welcome to The Port Forum. I can only appologise for my fellow Forumites who have no appreciation for art. As you can see from the above conversation I instantly spotted that this painting depicted the Malvedos bottling from 1962. :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Benjamin,

Thanks for responding to my post. I was being provocative and I'm delighted that I got a response - good for you for not just ignoring me. I go back to my original sensible comment and say that I think the picture is pretty and relaxing - quite feminine, Elizabeth (my wife) called it. And the Malvedos 1962 has probably reached the stage in its life where it is delicate, light and feminine when drunk. I wish I had been able to be there with you when you drank it. Its a wine I've never tried and I do enjoy the Malvedos style when it is mature.

But, to me, being a rather OCD inflicted port-geek, there is a world of difference between a Grahams '63 and a Malvedos '62. I just wish the picture had been called Malvedos '62...

But I do like the picture

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
BenjaminSaltzman
Cruz Ruby

Thanks for your comments. I have changed the review to "1962 Graham's Malvedos." (I should have been more accurate the first time, but I appreciate that this forum called attention to the need for a correction.)

Best,
Benjamin
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Keep posting though Benjamin, see how nicely we savagely attacked you. That was us at our baying pack worst.

As promised there is a great deal of knowledge around here and we have a lonely 'other wine' section as well, which I'm sure you could make in-roads into.
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

Interesting site you have, Benjamin - I'll be sure to check it out further. Just a Port comment - your correction reads:

Some folks at http://www.theportforum.com didn’t believe that Grahams made a Malvedos in 1962, but they did and here is the picture to prove it:

Shouldn't it read:

Some folks at http://www.theportforum.com pointed out that Grahams didn't made a VP in 1962, but instead a Grahams Malvedos VP and indeed here is the picture to prove it:

Feel free to add "obsessive", "fanatical" or "anal" in front of the "folks" :shock: 88)

Thanks for providing a link to this forum!
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I've left a message for Benjamin as a reply, it is awaiting moderation but it is very polite.
BenjaminSaltzman
Cruz Ruby

Thanks for the advice everyone! You've certainly got an active and attentive community here.

http://chateaupetrogasm.com/2007/07/04/ ... -port-150/

Best,

Benjamin