Football Season 2007/2008

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Football Season 2007/2008

Post by Conky »

I can stop shaking and crawling up the walls!

The Curtain Raiser for the new forthcoming Football Season starts tomorrow! :lol:

My team are reigning Champions, and its full steam ahead!

Derek, have you any ties to a Premiership Team, and I'll keep an eye out for tickets?

Sorry KillerB, we'll have to draw you in the Cup! :D

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

I have no specific ties to any English team but have to admit to always enjoying the odd Man U game.

I enjoyed watching Chelsea when Viali, Gullit, etc were there but not so much now. I dislike Arsenal and Liverpool for different reasons. The former are boring London whingers and the latter are, well, you know, you work there so you know what I mean :?

I consider all other Premiership teams as also-rans and have no views on any of them, other than Spurs who I would put in the same category as Arsenal.

To sum up - I'm not fussy - just let me know if anything comes up and I'll try to get there. Champions League ties against the likes of Inter Milan will obviously be looked upon favourably in terms of which bottle of port I bring to the after match party at your place 88)

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Ok, but we'll only play the big European sides next year. I'll see what pops up.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Good stuff. Thanks.

What's on tomorrow? Is it that FA Cup Winners v Premiership Winners from the previous season thing that's really just an excuse to print money?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Yes, United versus Chelsea, and no-ones that fussed. We've spent £50 million on 4 players and it appears none will play tomorrow. Never mind, it'll soon be the real thing.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

United won on Penalties...without any of the new boys. Happy Days!
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

As a United fan and a Port enthusiast, I like the symmetry in that my team currently has Ronaldo, Nani and the assistant manager Quiros, all from Portugal.

Fingers crossed, the fun starts Sunday, Reading at home!

Alan
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

No sooner one season's finished, than the next starts - it's AUGUST for goodness sake!!

This is the cricket season - the rugby season should start in late September, (when big men beat each other up), then after Christmas the hockey season starts, (when small men beat each other up, but with sticks)

- This carries on till March. The cricket season re-starts in April, so there's about a month for football.

- That's plenty!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm with Tom on this one. I'll leave association football to those who appreciate it and will take a passing interest when there's no rugby (union only, old chap) or cricket to follow. My cricket watching season hasn't finished yet as I have tickets to London's only floodlit cricket match of the season on September 11 and tickets to watch Englad play South Africa in Paris in the only Football World Cup that I'm interested in.

I had given up all hope for England against South Africa, but the result against Wales was far better than I was expecting. I'm now actually interested in following the result of the two games against France...

I realised how uninterested I really was in football in March, when Manchester United played some team or another in the European Cup and won 5-1 (a good result, apparently) and I had spent the evening listening to Canada play Ireland in the Cricket World Cup and had no clue as to Manchester's performance until arriving at work the next morning where it was the only (and boring after 30 seconds) topic of conversation.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Well Guys, I think the National Game can limp on without your support. :D
I'm surprised you both went for the two over tecnical sports, Cricket and Union. Both have been hacked at, and changed by their own governing bodies, to try to make them more of a spectacle.
They're on the right lines, and cricket has become more appealing, bigger crowds, more revenue. But Union? Oh dear. Thank God for the recent-ish Lions and World Cup wins. Its also amusing that they are always after our League cast offs and they wont invite League teams to the big Sevens tournaments, because the swines kept on winning them. Oh well, it takes allsorts. :P
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

We are top of the league, we are top of the league.
We are top of the league, we are top of the league.

Ok, so it's only one game and we lead Palace and Ipswich only on alphabetical order but it's a start.

How did Man Yoo get on?
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

As Champions, its only right we give the others a chance. So we drew at home to Reading, and the White Pele, Rooney, broke his foot!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The National Game is whingeing..

The last bastion of civilisation is Cricket

Tom :D
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

My Dearest Thomas,

I'm sure you will concur that there is only one major sport which still has impeccable standards and etiquette...

Golf!

Cricket indeed. Gamesmenship, jellybeans, Ball Tampering, over-zealous appealling, sand in the pocket of the England Captain, Chuckers, sledging, match fixing...where do you stop? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Sorry for going off the sport theme but I am sure that Alex and Andy will join me in declaring that the last bastion of civilisation is having lunch with the Robertsons at Quinta do Vargellas 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Hear hear. Civilization can still be found in the upper reaches of the Douro. Lunch on the terrace at Vargellas was extremely pleasant and very civilized.

I'm sure they must still play cricket close by...

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

And Man Yure draw with another second-rate team in blue leaving them in the bottom half of the table. This should get the chants of "Down with United, you're going down with United" starting up around the country.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Make sure you stick around, KillerABU!

Coventry with full points, United stuttering...it cant last. :D
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Golf is a game played by people who have to worry when they relax...

Tom
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Well done Tom, I was worried you'd throw in the 'Long walk ruined' cliche. :D

It does maintain all the standards Cricket once held dear.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

uncle tom wrote:No sooner one season's finished, than the next starts - it's AUGUST for goodness sake!!

This is the cricket season - the rugby season should start in late September, (when big men beat each other up), then after Christmas the hockey season starts, (when small men beat each other up, but with sticks)

- This carries on till March. The cricket season re-starts in April, so there's about a month for football.

- That's plenty!

Tom
Now , now , Tom , little men don't beat each other up sticks , It's the odd goon who can't skate that does the beating up . . .
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

What kind of lame football are you talking about?

NE Patriots - NFL!!!
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

mosesbotbol wrote:What kind of lame football are you talking about?

NE Patriots - NFL!!!
Moses,

I would suggest the whole of the Planet knows what Football is, apart from a small land mass called North America. I think they have a different form of Football. Amusingly, I also think they talk in terms of World Finals, even though there's only really America who plays it.

That's enough teasing.

Alan
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Alan , over here , Canada is refered to as North America , and our championships are the Stanley Cup and the Grey Cup which have , thankfully , historical ties to each sport .
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Back on topic. Celtic are now back on top and the world is at peace 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn