An unusual event? Can you guess...

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
benread
Niepoort 1977

An unusual event? Can you guess...

Post by benread »

I am about to do something which I suspect has been rarely (if ever) done. At least one person here should know what it is.

Clues available on request!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: An unusual event? Can you guess...

Post by jdaw1 »

Christen a child with a particular and very fine VP?
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

I opened 6 identical bottles of Offley 1970 vintage port. 5 were very similar and very nice. 1 was quite different. Regrettably TN's not available because it was a drunken night celebrating (belatedly) a friends 40th birthday, as well as my own 40th.

It did get me thinking though, could we find a bottling which enough of us have to do this as a small tasting / experiment?

Uncle Tom: Thank you for your help sourcing these. They went down extremely well after dinner!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Sounds like great fun!

I suspect that the event could be reproduced, but that will depend on just how identical you want the bottles to be. If a simple "1970 Offley" is sufficient, regardless of bottler, then it shouldn't be difficult. If you want the same bottler or - perish the thought - bottles all from the same case, then at least here in the US it would be rather difficult unless one person has a case of something they'd like to use for said event.

I only possess 3 possible VPs to use for such an event - 1985 Churchill and 1985 Graham would be easy because those were purchased as cases. I also have sufficient 2003 Noval, but those were purchased as 6, 6, 2, and 2 (and 2 and 2, but those have been consumed) and I haven't tracked the bottles religiously. One of the pairs has been kept separate (it was sourced directly from Noval), but the others have likely mingled as I've re-arranged my refrigerators.
Glenn Elliott