BBR Wine World Cup

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
benread
Niepoort 1977

BBR Wine World Cup

Post by benread »

I have just received notice of this, and the chance to win a case of wine. There is the facility for mini-leagues. Would it be appropriate to have a TPF mini league? Would there be interest?

BBR Wine World Cup
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: BBR Wine World Cup

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

While I'm all in favour of having a chance of winning a case of wine worth over £1700, I fear that you need to know something about football to have a chance.

Now if only they had run a similar competition for the Twenty20 World Cup.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

Sure I have interest!

I just registered. However, do they really consider England as a great wine nation :shock:
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

smisse wrote:Sure I have interest!

I just registered. However, do they really consider England as a great wine nation :shock:
Excellent. We have gone international. Now all we need is one of our American friends to register a team ahead of England's opening game on Saturday.

I have created a mini league called TPF but need to email people the link to join it. PM me your email address and I will do so.
Ben
-------
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote: Excellent. We have gone international. Now all we need is one of our American friends to register a team ahead of England's opening game on Saturday.
My Green Card arrived in the post today so I am now officially American for the next 4 weeks. What do you need me to do?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
benread wrote: Excellent. We have gone international. Now all we need is one of our American friends to register a team ahead of England's opening game on Saturday.
My Green Card arrived in the post today so I am now officially American for the next 4 weeks. What do you need me to do?
Get to Seattle so we can drink some Port!
Glenn Elliott
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:
I have sent you an email link to the TPF mini league. I am waiting for Smisse to tell me his email so I can invite him too.

I am hoping some of our German members will have some interest in football to add a little spice to this. Just a shame there are no Argentinian port drinkers!
Ben
-------
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

Hey Ben,

It seems I did not receive the invitation. Can you resend?

gr,
Dries
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This thread has been remarkably quiet.

Presumably everyone has run out of Scottish Goalkeeper jokes?
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

4 of us are competing for not very much! Cookie is leading me by 3 points with Dries trailing on 10 points. It looks unlikely any of us will win the top prize case of wine but Cookie and I have a little side bet!
Ben
-------
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

I notice that after yesterdays game I have shot up the league table leaving my side bet with Ben looking a 'dead cert'...famous last words :lol: It's a shame a few more did not join...this could have been a lot of fun 88)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Cookie wrote:It's a shame a few more did not join...this could have been a lot of fun 88)
I didn't get the email telling me how to register and by the time I remembered the games had already started :-(
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Cookie currently lies 12 overall in the league, making the rest of us appear something like amateurs! My only hope is he 'kicks on' and wins, and is gracious enough to share the prize amongst league members!

Welld one so far Cookie, but remember there is a long way to go!
Ben
-------
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I got up early this morning to watch the last half of the USA's match against Algeria. Very exciting! Both sides seemed to be attacking a lot, unlike some of the completely defensive matches that I've heard about. If games were like that all the time I think I might actually be able to enjoy soccer/football!

Howard's stop and throw in the 91st minute that started the break and set up Donovan's goal were pretty impressive. 88)
Glenn Elliott
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Cookie wrote:I notice that after yesterdays game I have shot up the league table leaving my side bet with Ben looking a 'dead cert'...famous last words :lol: It's a shame a few more did not join...this could have been a lot of fun 88)
I think todays games may have made our side bet more interesting! I have 3 goal scorers, 3 winning teams, 3 "man of the match awards", 2 clean sheets, 3 'appearances' and 3 starting line ups scoring me points. I may have missed something amongst all that!

Game on again! :D
Ben
-------