Have you Cleared the Path Outside of Your House?

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.

Yes - I am a good citizen and am not frightened by the Daily Mail
50%
No - I am either lazy and uncaring or frightened by the Daily Mail
17%
It's not snowing here, I'm only voting because I'm addicted to polls
33%

Total votes: 6

KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I live in a reasonably affluent area with good neighbours who normally help each other out. However, I am the only person in the street and for several streets close by that has cleared the path to the house and the path outside the property. People seem to be obsessed with the Daily Mail scare stories that if somebody slips on it when you've cleared it then you are liable. If you clear it properly people won't slip on it and if they do then you as long as you weren't negligent you still can't be sued. What would you prefer:

1. Somebody slips outside your house, breaks an arm or their coccyx but you are not to blame;

2. Nobody slips outside your house because you cleared the snow away

Rant against my wussy neighbours over.
Port is basically a red drink
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Have you Cleared the Path Outside of Your House?

Post by benread »

I am in the Lord Adonnis camp - this Health & Safety culture has gone too far! Of course you should clear the path and you should not worry about being sued!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have not cleared the pavement outside my house and neither have most of the residents of my street. One brave soldier two doors up the hill has done so. When walking up the hill this morning I was lulled into a false sense of security whilst walking sure-footedly on the crisp snow and then nearly fell on my a*se when I stepped on the black ice that had formed on the area that had been cleared. It's not always a good idea to try to defy nature.

Anyway, the Daily Mail "you might get sued" story doesn't worry me. What worries me is that if you try to clear the snow from the pavement on a day ending in a y while Saturn is in line with Uranus your hair might turn yellow and your teeth will fall out. It's a fact! I heard it on the BBC :|
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Your neighbour didn't clear it properly. Always finish off with some seasoning - no need for pepper but a bit of salt does wonders. A cheap alternative is sand which doesn't melt the snow but does provide grip.
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I cleared the path from the pavement up the hillto the front door and also cleared the door step. I didn't clear the pavement outside my house or the road outside my house because I couldn't find the energy to shovel 12 inches of snow where no-one walks.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

The trouble is that there is a whole industry based on wide boys offering money to people for their claims. You can see it advertised on taxis and daytime TV. You would be suprised what people will say for a quick £150 - £300.

That there is an industry in sourcing claims corrupts the whole process and feeds the Dail Mail. Oh for the days when people with real problems went off to find a solution..........
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

As an historic aside: at Common Law maintenance of the public highway was the responsibility of the inhabitants of a parish at large; if snow and ice were not cleared it would have been possible to issue proceedings for non-feasance against all the residents. Somewhat interesting how the situation has reversed!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

As an historic aside: at Common Law maintenance of the public highway was the responsibility of the inhabitants of a parish at large; if snow and ice were not cleared it would have been possible to issue proceedings for non-feasance against all the residents. Somewhat interesting how the situation has reversed!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

JacobH wrote:As an historic aside: at Common Law maintenance of the public highway was the responsibility of the inhabitants of a parish at large; if snow and ice were not cleared it would have been possible to issue proceedings for non-feasance against all the residents. Somewhat interesting how the situation has reversed!
That's sort of how it works in the US, as I recall. At least I'm pretty sure it was something like that in Nebraska when I was growing up.

You, the property owner, are responsible for maintaining and clearing public pathways that cross your property. Typically that is limited to sidewalks, but I have a friend who has a road that crosses his property and he's required to maintain it (the details are too complicated to explain here). If you do not properly maintain and clear said public pathways and someone is injured while using them, you are liable.

So here in the US you'd want to clear off all that snow ASAP. Deliberately NOT clearing it would be begging for a lawsuit. Not clearing it adequately would also be begging for a lawsuit.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:So here in the US you'd want to clear off all that snow ASAP. Deliberately NOT clearing it would be begging for a lawsuit. Not clearing it adequately would also be begging for a lawsuit.
Is that why they call it "The Land of the Free, and the Home of the Path-clearers"?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

No no... you a free to sue anyone you want, and you have to be brave to do anything that could possibly get you sued. Because it will.
Glenn Elliott