I'm back!

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

I'm back!

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Swine 'flu receeding and will soon be nothing more than a nasty memory of 2 weeks without port (or any other alcoholic beverage) - which means that tonight's glass holds most of what was left of the Cockburn 2000 LBV that I started on Boxing Day.

But what should I open next to cheer myself up with? At hand would be
(a) Cockburn '67 - proven to be delicious
(b) Fonseca '63 - but with a badly extruded cork, who knows what this would be like
(c) Warre '58 - mature, elegant and a mid-shoulder fill
(d) Vesuvio 2007 - the port that was supposed to have been opened for Christmas and New Year
(e) Something else - just grab a bottle at random (which would make Croft 2004 LBV the most likely drink)

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: I'm back!

Post by KillerB »

As it's an option and it would be unreasonable to do it in front of anyone else I would remove the badly extruded cork.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Welcome back. Is Swine Flu the same thing as Man Flu?
AHB wrote:(d) Vesuvio 2007 - the port that was supposed to have been opened for Christmas and New Year
That may have another use sometime very soon. Check out the organisation threads :wink:

I vote for Warre 58 - you probably deserve it.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

It has not been the same without you! Thankfully my Christmas ailment was merely the loss of my voice. It started the day after our Christmas tasting and did not return until 4th January!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:Welcome back. Is Swine Flu the same thing as Man Flu?
No, it most certainly isn't. Swine 'flu is blinkin' awful. I can understand that it could potentially kill the frail, the young, the elderly and the teetotal. ADMIN: why can I not use this unacceptable word under these circumstances??!! :evil:
DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:(d) Vesuvio 2007 - the port that was supposed to have been opened for Christmas and New Year
That may have another use sometime very soon. Check out the organisation threads :wink:
As soon as time permits, I will catch up on all new posts made in the last two weeks.
DRT wrote:I vote for Warre 58 - you probably deserve it.
I've also voted for this one. Unless there are overwhelming voices suggesting one of the other choice, I will decant this tomorrow in the mid-afternoon.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
DRT wrote:Welcome back. Is Swine Flu the same thing as Man Flu?
No, it most certainly isn't. Swine 'flu is blinkin' awful. I can understand that it could potentially kill the frail, the young, the elderly and the {unacceptable word}. ADMIN: why can I not use this unacceptable word under these circumstances??!! :evil:
Because the hyphenated word that incorporates a small piece of golf equipment and the sum of two or more numbers is not welcome here under any circumstances.
AHB wrote:
DRT wrote:
As soon as time permits, I will catch up on all new posts made in the last two weeks.
Good.
AHB wrote:
DRT wrote:I vote for Warre 58 - you probably deserve it.
I've also voted for this one. Unless there are overwhelming voices suggesting one of the other choice, I will decant this tomorrow in the mid-afternoon.
Do you need me to drive down to Wokingham tomorrow to help you?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Alex,
Glad you are feeling better. I got this same nasty flu the day before christmas so I know your pain. It totally sucked and to make matters worse I still had to manage to work 80 hours that week and 90 the next. I am still not 100% better, as a slight nagging cough is still just hanging on. The good news is I am back to sipping some Ports and wines and I am glad you are too 88) Whatever you open I hope it shows well and you enjoy it!
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Mature and elegant sounds good to get back into shape, so the Warre would also be my choice. Enjoy!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glad to hear that you are recovering!
AHB wrote:Swine 'flu receeding and will soon be nothing more than a nasty memory of 2 weeks without port (or any other alcoholic beverage) - which means that tonight's glass holds most of what was left of the Cockburn 2000 LBV that I started on Boxing Day.
Terrible mistake to cut down on your Port drinking; how else are you going to get any vitamins at time that you need them most?