Conky's Point of View

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Conky's Point of View

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Here Conky makes a personal attack on me but the administrators have taken a decision to lock the thread and remove my right of reply, so I have started this thread as an alternative in order to be able to respond. His post was:
Conky wrote:So I can take it that your views are not shared? I have also taken my time to reply.

It is a shame you are an apologist for the pseudo elite who 'appears' to have garnered no support for your views.

You have achieved your objective, and I will leave your Forum to your small clique. I would also thank those who voiced their support privately, and appreciate their unintentially clear variety of background and geography.

Alan.
Alan disappeared from The Port Forum some time in mid 2008 after having made frequent contributions both on the subject of port and with humorous asides which I and many others enjoyed. I missed him when he diappeared and kept in touch through private messages and like to think that I was part of the reason he came back to the forum (albeit infrequently compared to before) in summer 2009.

Alan and I disagree on a number of matters, but that is life and I have no problem with somone who has a different point of view from mine - debate and discussion helps us all to learn and improve. However, he and I have a clear difference of opinion on style and outlook where I believe that differences of opinion should be respected and discussed in a polite manner so that others can consider the points being raised on both sides. Alan's approach is self-evident from his post - perhaps being influenced or becoming jaded by many years of working in the police force.

It was not and is not my desire to see Alan leave the forum. I believe that diversity benefits any group of people and would welcome his continued participation, but not in a manner which is buried in the past and which generates personal attacks on the integrity and moral values of other members of the forum.

So, Alan, I say to you publicly and openly that I do not want you to leave the forum, but I believe that you have clearly broken the rules of this site and would only want to see you return if you choose to abide by the letter and the intent of those rules - rules which were established very soon after the forum was started as a place for lovers of port to openly and freely discuss all matters port and non-port.

And if you choose not to return to the forum, I still wish you well in all your endeavours port related and non-port related; may you have many happy rounds on the golf course that you love so much and many happy golf-club dinners washed down with a fine port.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.