Irony Corner

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Irony Corner

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote: I'm also not adept at British colloquialisms, but to me "rubbish people" doesn't sound all that spiteful especially when she's including her (former) self. Would that be similar to "redneck" and "trailer trash" in the US?
I think she is referring to people who live a lifestyle or have personal traits that either did not encourage her to change her ways or positively encouraged her not to.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

"I'm not spiteful but those ba****ds are" is hardly irony, just hypocrisy. "I used to be a ba****d and I mixed with ba****ds but now I'm trying to change my life" is contrite and self-aware.

I don't even think that calling them 'Rubbish' is even particularly spiteful. It's not nice but spite indicates vindictiveness and I don't think she is being vindictive.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:A real life example, but is it ironic?

I boarded the 07:30 National Express East Coast Line train from Doncaster to London on Tuesday this week and made my way to my usual seat in the Quiet Coach, the published rules of which are:
  1. No making or receiving mobile phone calls in this coach. Please go to the vestibule at the end of the coach to talk on the phone.
  2. Use all electrical equipment in silent mode.
  3. If chatting with fellow passengers, please do so quietly and with consideration
    for others.
The coach was around 30% occupied so I managed to secure a table and four seats all to myself. Result! On the opposite side of the carriage were two ladies of advanced age sitting opposite one another in total silence. As the train pulled out the announcement was made reminding all passangers where the train was going, what catering was available and, most importantly, emphasising the purpose and rules of the Quiet Coach. My BlackBerry was in silent mode, as were those of many others on business trips. I took out my laptop, which is always in silent mode, and booted up for some :TPF: time. Many others were doing similar things in complete silence.

For the next 30 minutes the only sound I could hear was the very loud conversation of the two elderly ladies discussing how inconsiderate it was that I and many others in the coach were breaking the rules by having our phones and laptops with us :shock:

Does this qualify?

Derek
AHB wrote:Yes
Can I please have confirmation from KironymasterB?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

DRT wrote:
DRT wrote:A real life example, but is it ironic?

I boarded the 07:30 National Express East Coast Line train from Doncaster to London on Tuesday this week and made my way to my usual seat in the Quiet Coach, the published rules of which are:
  1. No making or receiving mobile phone calls in this coach. Please go to the vestibule at the end of the coach to talk on the phone.
  2. Use all electrical equipment in silent mode.
  3. If chatting with fellow passengers, please do so quietly and with consideration
    for others.
The coach was around 30% occupied so I managed to secure a table and four seats all to myself. Result! On the opposite side of the carriage were two ladies of advanced age sitting opposite one another in total silence. As the train pulled out the announcement was made reminding all passangers where the train was going, what catering was available and, most importantly, emphasising the purpose and rules of the Quiet Coach. My BlackBerry was in silent mode, as were those of many others on business trips. I took out my laptop, which is always in silent mode, and booted up for some :TPF: time. Many others were doing similar things in complete silence.

For the next 30 minutes the only sound I could hear was the very loud conversation of the two elderly ladies discussing how inconsiderate it was that I and many others in the coach were breaking the rules by having our phones and laptops with us :shock:

Does this qualify?

Derek
AHB wrote:Yes
Can I please have confirmation from KironymasterB?
Yes - but little old ladies are normally exempt from irony-meters. An exception applies here just so that we can have another case, albeit a mild one.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Is this ironic?

A man who loves port moves to a place where it is difficult to find good port. He manages to acquire a handful of bottles, but struggles to create even a small cellar.

He invites a friend to visit him, on condition the friend brings 6 bottles of port to add to his cellar. His friend visits and dutifully brings the 6 promised bottles.

Unfortunately, his friend also loves port so that by the end of the weekend they have drunk 8 bottles and the man's cellar is now smaller than it was before the visit.

Is this ironic?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

AHB wrote:Is this ironic?

A man who loves port moves to a place where it is difficult to find good port. He manages to acquire a handful of bottles, but struggles to create even a small cellar.

He invites a friend to visit him, on condition the friend brings 6 bottles of port to add to his cellar. His friend visits and dutifully brings the 6 promised bottles.

Unfortunately, his friend also loves port so that by the end of the weekend they have drunk 8 bottles and the man's cellar is now smaller than it was before the visit.

Is this ironic?
I would say that was inevitable
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

KillerB wrote:
AHB wrote:Is this ironic?

Is this ironic?
I would say that was inevitable
is it ironic that it's inevitable?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Jumping the Shark was a phrase used to give the defining moment when a TV Show went from being good to being bad. It comes from when Fonzie water-jumped a shark in Happy Days. Other JumpThe Shark moments include Scrappy-Doo ruining the wonderful Sccoby-Doo, which is why I went looking for it. The phrase led to a website jumptheshark.com by John Hein, who was there when the phrase was coined, which charted the downfall of telly programmes or left some as 'Never Jumped'. It was a simple site with opinions from the masses and was great. He sold the website in 2006 and it is now a TV listings site with only vague reference to jumping the shark which is based on current programmes determined by paid contributors, it's crap.

Jumptheshark jumped the shark.