Wine Advocate controversy

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Wine Advocate controversy

Post by Portman »

I don't know if this has made it to the other side of the pond yet, but there is was a recent Wall Street Journal article about trips and perks given to wine writers at the Wine Advocate which is causing quite a stir among oenophiles here in America.

Here is a link to the discussion on eRobertParker. http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/sho ... p?t=203403

I'll note that one of the most impressive posts on the thread is made by Roy Hersch, whom all of you know. While I respect Robert Parker, I've found many of the postings on his bulletin board to be sycophantic and bordering on cultish. My personal opinion of the reviewer in question, Jay Miller, is that he overscores wines from the region that I love, Spain. To my palate, a Miller-rated 90 point Spanish wine is often guaranteed to be an overoaked New World fruit bomb.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Wine Advocate controversy

Post by Glenn E. »

I didn't read the whole thread, but having worked in a position that had similar professional conduct requirements I think that the apology was both appropriate and necessary. Jay works in an industry where even the appearance of impropriety is a major problem because it strikes at the heart of his impartiality and integrity.

I didn't really follow the whole hubbub, what what small parts of it I did hear about lowered my opinion of WA and Robert Parker (he is, after all, the boss and ultimately responsible for everything that happens at WA). Jay's apology helps mitigate that, but doesn't entirely make it go away. In my previous position that sort of mistake he made might have been cause for dismissal.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Wine Advocate controversy

Post by Andy Velebil »

The real drama is in this thread... http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/sho ... p?t=203328
:shock: