Star Trek

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Star Trek

Post by TBird »

the new movie ROCKS!
you've got a friend in cheeses
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Star Trek

Post by Glenn E. »

I had the chance to see it last Thursday, but lost the opportunity when I was laid off. :( Can't wait, though!
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Star Trek

Post by Glenn E. »

I finally saw this movie, and while I really liked the movie on its own, I'm not sure I like where it leaves the franchise.

Star Trek didn't need a reboot. The original canon was great the way it was. Did it need some younger actors? Yes. Did it need a fresh perspective? Yes.

Did it need to be moved (apparently permanently) into an alternate/parallel universe so that Spock and Uhura can hook up, Kirk can be promoted to Captain of the fleet's brand new flagship straight out of the Academy, and the bridge of the Enterprise can be bleached to a blinding white? No, not at all. I won't even get into the more nitty-gritty problems that only a Trekkie would understand. (No, not a Trekker... that term is for the cowardly and weak. I'm old school. We are Trekkies.)

So... yeah, it was a great movie, but I left the movie feeling that it was incomplete. Star Trek always comes full circle, and that movie left the circle wide open (apparently deliberately). So I left unsatisfied and unconvinced that they're going in the right direction.
Glenn Elliott