The 2007 Debate Revisited - Again!!

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

The 2007 Debate Revisited - Again!!

Post by uncle tom »

Following a complaint from a :tpf: member and a debate amongst the Admins it was decided to move the following discussion from here to here.
JacobH wrote:Incidentally, there’s a little bit about this port from Dirk Niepoort on Decanter.com:
Maggie Rosen, quoting Dirk Niepoort on [url=http://www.decanter.com/news/news.php?id=280355]Decanter.com[/url] wrote: The vintage is very, very good. It's less structured, and less powerful than 2003, for example, but more delicate and harmonious, and will live a long time.

Jacob,

Call me an old cynic, but I have been in business for quite a long time - warts 'n' all..

A wine maker who finds himself launching a product that he knows is really good; is most likely to put home a message that starts with humility, defers to the wisdom of the critics and then quietly but defiantly expresses confidence in the product.

e.g:

"I am only the winemaker, I know my craft, but it is not for me to be the ultimate judge of my products; however, never before I have I felt such confidence as I feel today"

(OK, that reads a bit French, but you get the drift..)

Now consider the winemaker who is trying to make the best of a bad job. He won't come clean, they never, ever, do..

He will start by saying it is very good, with the straightest face he can muster; he will attempt to head off the obvious criticism, and then maintain that it will come right given time..

Now, what did Dirk say?

- Oh dear...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 2007 Niepoort Vintage Port (Cask Sample)

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:Call me an old cynic
You're an old cynic.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote:
Call me an old cynic,
Ok I will. Tom how many actual 2007 cask samples have you had. I'm talking the actual finished product, not something from last year that wasn't a final blend?

You continually knock a product without even trying them yet. Based on your rational every declared vintage in the past is also a rubbish and isn't worth buying. Afterall, the producers all said similar things at the time they were declared.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Ok I will. Tom how many actual 2007 cask samples have you had. I'm talking the actual finished product, not something from last year that wasn't a final blend?
This was the final blend, and yes I did try it. I don't think anyone was bowled over by it. Hopefully, the other producer's samples will be better.
You continually knock a product without even trying them yet. Based on your rational every declared vintage in the past is also a rubbish and isn't worth buying. Afterall, the producers all said similar things at the time they were declared.
Not true. I keep an open mind and have a healthy wariness of marketing ploys. With the 2000 & 2003 vintages, the trade exuded a quiet modest confidence that was very reassuring. I had no reason to be doubtful, and the quality of the wines from those vintages is exceptional. However, over the last eighteen months I have found very little cause for confidence in the 2007 vintage - hopefully when I get to try the other samples, that will change..

Unlike some people, I do not suck up to the producers at every opportunity; In my book, the consumer comes first.

It is very easy to go around saying everything is wonderful. Being honest and objective is a little harder.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

uncle tom wrote:Call me an old cynic, but I have been in business for quite a long time - warts 'n' all..
Ah, sorry...The reason I though that that quote was interesting was the middle bit of his description ("less structured, and less powerful than 2003, for example, but more delicate and harmonious") for the simple reason that it seemed to be reassuringly similar to most of our views on this wine. It suggests that most of us weren't barking up the wrong tree with our views on it!

As for whether the shippers are modestly confident when the vintage is really good and resort to purple prose when it's not, I really don't know, not having read that many press releases in the past!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

A wine maker who finds himself launching a product that he knows is really good; is most likely to put home a message that starts with humility, defers to the wisdom of the critics and then quietly but defiantly expresses confidence in the product.
Well no "Critic" has reviewed them yet so....
And that's pretty much how ANY press release is done. Does your companies press releases stated that last year we screwed up 3 jobs that we did? Of course not, it states what a great company it is and how they deliever a wonderful product for the price. (not saying your company screwed up, just a hypothetical example)
Unlike some people, I do not suck up to the producers at every opportunity;
So you saying I suck up to producers....You've obviously not seen me taste with a producer. I've had no issues with telling them what I think of a particular wine. But at the same time I don't knock their product without at least trying it first.
Not true. I keep an open mind......It is very easy to go around saying everything is wonderful. Being honest and objective is a little harder.
But lets get some facts straight. From the beginning you've stated that 2007 wasn't a good year. Even before the harvest was over you were saying it wasn't good. You've stood by that OVERALL assessment since 2007. You've now tried one finished cask sample if I'm understanding you correctly. That's hardly a representative sample don't you think? You're the one that has failed to be objective here. You're knocking the vintage, then and now, without any first hand experience. It's hard to keep an open mind when for 2 years you've been saying 2007 is a terrible vintage.

As a few people here can attest, drinking young cask samples is not an easy task and it's very easy to not understand where the wine will be at in 2,5,10,30,50 years time. I know you have a lot of experience with older VP's and I respect your palate in that regard. But IIRC your experience with young cask samples is limited. I'm not knocking you, as probably 99.9% of the rest of the Port drinking world has never had a cask sample either. But it is a very unique experience that takes a lot of experience to understand where they are at and what they will eventually become.
However, over the last eighteen months I have found very little cause for confidence in the 2007 vintage - hopefully when I get to try the other samples, that will change..
Which I still don't understand why, but I do hope it does change. I can tell you purely from a grape growing perspective, 2007 was a very good year overall to grow grapes that were phenologically correct (translated that means they were very balanced grapes). That is what makes a perfect wine. Sure a hot summer will give you ripeness, but then you risk losing the acidity that the cool weather brings. Or you risk grapes that are too raisined, and while they may show very good young they lack the structure for long term aging. To cold and the grapes don't ripen and you end up with an acidic wine lacking structure. But when you look at what historically in all wines are the ones that last the longest and hold up the best, it's the ones with conditions such as 2007...a very balanced year overall.
Ah, sorry...The reason I though that that quote was interesting was the middle bit of his description ("less structured, and less powerful than 2003, for example, but more delicate and harmonious") for the simple reason that it seemed to be reassuringly similar to most of our views on this wine. It suggests that most of us weren't barking up the wrong tree with our views on it!
2003 was a very hot and thus a very ripe vintage, thus it has been described as "powerful" as a result. The same descriptor is used in the dry wine world in hot and very ripe vintages. And although some great juice was made, I dare say that my money is on 2000 more than 2003 for the very long haul. 2000 was a better balanced year overall IMO, where 2003 had lots of upfront fruit but I wonder how all that jammy fruit will hold up if there isn't enough acidity and tannins to balance it out decades down the road. Sorry for some deviation, as this is probably best left as seperate thread..... As others have mentioned, Niepoort seems to have undergone a slight stylistic change in the past couple vintages. It remains to be seen if that is a good move or not, but time will surely tell. I don't discount the TN's on the Niepoort at all, and since I've not yet had the final Niepoort cask sample yet, will reserve my own judgement until later.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

perhaps we can cut this debate short? Everyone -- Dirk, Tom, Andy, etc -- has their own opinions and is entitled to them. They remain just that, opinions, and it is up to others to decide what stock they place in them. We don't need to quibble about it here.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

You know Andy, both you and Roy are very bad at jumping to wild conclusions.

You accuse me of saying that 2007 is a terrible vintage - actually, I've never said that.

What I have done is to glean as much good information as possible about the vintage, from many sources, from the spring of that year to the present day; and I'd be telling a lie if I said everything looked just dandy.

I've identified sound reasons why we, as consumers, should be cautious - reasons based on good evidence - not fantasy or prejudice.

Caution is therefore prudent, but the proof will be in the tasting, and subsequent evolution of the wines.

Tom
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

No quibbling :wink: Tom, you're right you didn't say terrible sorry for that, here are some things you've said about 2007's over the past 18 months or so...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=988&hilit=2007
I very much hope 2008 is a blockbuster also, but for a different reason.

The 2007 vintage was compromised by a late start, low temperatures and an early bath. Despite that, the main producers have been talking it up - leading me to suspect that the need for a vintage declaration may prevail against the vintage-worthiness of the year - as happened in '75..
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=839&hilit=2007
..this is utterly nauseating - we knew '07 was ordained to be a declared vintage, but the jury was out as to whether it was up to the mark or not.

Now we know that they are going to declare a sub-standard year.

This looks like '75 re-visited..

..DON'T BUY!!
[from same thread above]
I remain hopeful that '08 will be a sufficiently good year to put '07 firmly in the shade!
[from same thread]
2007 may have produced stocks of wine that will make excellent Reserves and LBV's, but the prospects for Vintage look much more problematic.
[same thread]
Anyway, hopefully the 2008 season will put to rest all ideas of declaring 2007
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1801&hilit=2007
The willingness of the producers to celebrate the 2007 performance of grape varieties that have poor keeping qualities, while paying little attention to the 2005's; despite evidence that they probably have excellent long haul prospects; does suggest that those of us who have little interest in young wines need to be more selective, and therefore better informed.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1957&p=17901&hilit=2007#p17901
While some argue that an '07 declaration is now inevitable, it would seem insane to launch a new declaration when the principal markets for VP are in economic meltdown, especially if the wines from '08 are good enough to declare instead; when, hopefully, things are a little more settled the following year.
[same thread]
Don't forget that the press releases after the '07 vintage celebrated the performance of grape varieties that make short lived wines..
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2095&p=19314&hilit=2007#p19314
2007 was anointed as a declaration year before it had even begun. The producers have a love affair with '7' vintages to the total exclusion of '9' years - try working out the probability of that happening by chance, and you realise that it's too small to be credible!

I would love 2007 to be a great year, and am not engaging a blind vendetta against it, but after seeking the truth, and setting the hype to one side, I am not reassured..
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... 007#p29861
In 2007, the weather (at macro level) did not follow a pattern that was conducive to a declaration. When some shippers rushed to anoint the vintage with indecent haste, I smelt a rat. My recent visit left me with little doubt that the rat is there. If a vintage is declared, I fear the wines will be dominated by vine varieties that have little reputation for standing the test of time (not unlike '75) - but we shall see!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SushiNorth wrote:Received from Julian April 5 in a small bottle, i have no idea how long since it was opened:
April 5: Raspberry red, inky but not black to color. Spirity and mint in the nose. Tastes like plums, mint, only moderate tannin though more linger. Unexpectedly thin.
2 hrs in glass: some anise, light on the fruit. Still has some harsh tones.
covered glass, waited 24 hrs: Still anise, leaves my mouth with a minty feeling, though the mint is no longer in the taste.

This was a much appreciated gesture from Niepoort and DRT. I feel bad not being able to review it better, but it was disappointing and I have to be honest about that. I can only suggest that its extended travels since opening perhaps adversely affected the taste and weight of the wine. Having not had other similarly well-traveled samples to compare it against, it was reviewed at a disadvantage.
This note convinces me that our little transatlantic experiment has failed so I don't intend repeating it with any other samples I receive as it seems rather disrespectful to subject the wines to such abuse and not give them the opportunity to show the best they have to offer. Sorry guys :cry:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Let's not assume that intercontinental port forum commerce is a failure. That was a heck of a nice gesture and maybe the samples just needed a few weeks' peace and quiet to settle down.

What can we send you guys from this side of the pond? Some California wines? Assault Rifles and ammunition? Mortgage backed securities? A charismatic leader? :D Actually I think we will be needing our leader for awhile.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Andy V wrote: To cold and the grapes don't ripen and you end up with an acidic wine lacking structure.
Please define what you mean by structure in this context. How can you define a wine that lacks structure as being acidic?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

This note convinces me that our little transatlantic experiment has failed so I don't intend repeating it with any other samples I receive as it seems rather disrespectful to subject the wines to such abuse and not give them the opportunity to show the best they have to offer. Sorry guys
I checked out the chemistry on Julian's little bottles, and aside from the fact that PET does allow some diffusion of oxygen, thereby making them unsuitable as long term receptacles, they should in theory be fine.

My suspicion is that although they looked sparkly clean, they may have contained some contaminant residues from the manufacturing process.

Filling them brim full of your beloved Tesco Reserve for a day or two to leach out any nasties might just work - the residues might not be instantly soluble, so a quick flush may not be sufficient - make sure the inside of the cap gets a soak as well as the bottle.

Tom
Last edited by uncle tom on 22:18 Wed 15 Apr 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes Tom, we all bow to your read on 2007. At this stage, to compare 2007 to 1975, just shows ignorance of the facts, at best.

I plan to spend a week in Porto, tasting dozens of samples blind, each bottle tried 4-6+ x ... over 2-3 days each. This will be my 9th overall major vintage assessment going back to the 1991. In that time, I have tasted literally many hundreds of cask samples and recently finished bottles. That does not include the cask samples I have had at trade tastings, while visiting producers or "snapshot views" ... which number probably closer to a thousand cask samples since 1994 when I had my first one.

I do not prejudge a vintage, no matter what the hype (can there ever be more than there was in 2000? :shock: ) based on rhetoric, salesmanship or even my own personal views during the harvest and other visits. I was in Portugal 3x in 2007 and heard and saw a different level of excitement than even what I had viewed in other great vintages like 2000 and 2003, for example. Great.

None of that means a darn thing. It is nice to know and provides good background fodder for my articles, but means nothing without tasting the wines. Andy's quotes of yours are ... well, I will leave them to speak for themself. However, your contentious declaration from day 1 that 2007 was a failed vintage ... often quoting weather reports and making brash comments comparing it to 1975 (which you certainly did not have young) well ... I take very little stock in that rhetoric and that's certainly hypocritical as well, saying Andy and I jump to conclusions when you have done EXACTLY that with the 2007 vintage.

You can call me "a suck up to the Port industry" all you want. However, I won't pre-judge anything I have seen, heard, believed about 2007 -- or even tasted! ALL I CARE ABOUT IS WHAT I TASTE BLIND. Please go back to any Vintage Port Forecast that I have ever written and tell me what you have found to be inaccurate. We can agree to disagree about scores, drinking windows etc. That is cool. Derek even went and prepared a statiscal analysis of my ratings from two vintages to see how they panned out. I am not one to put out scores or drinking windows that I don't believe will stand the test of time. Wouldn't that be the ruination of whatever credibility I do have? I write ... what I taste. Observations and heresay of producers, do not alter that. Neither do friendships. The best example (for those that have not heard this before on :ftlop: ) is this:

In April 1997, one of my closest friends was launching his very first Port wine (a 1994 VP) and its debut was in Canada. I drove up to be there for that event. I was the only American journalist covering it there ... the first time it was being tasted by anyone. This is an individual that I know better than anyone on my website including Andy and Stewart, Derek or Alex, or even my good friend Nicos. I am speaking of Bartholomew Broadbent and I've known him for 15 years now. I was given a bottle that day by my good friend, to write about. I was quite critical of that bottling. It was simple and lacked the guts of almost any other Vintage Port in my forecast of that vintage. A lot of that had to do with the fact that there were only two grapes incorporated in that blend that Niepoort produced with Broadbent's involvement. Bartholomew was not amused and felt betrayed by his friend and I understood his anger at me. It took a couple of years to put that behind us. I stuck to my impressions of the wine and as those who know me best, I told it like I tasted it. If I'd risk losing one of my best friends to maintain my own integrity in critiquing Port, (even back then) well, res ipsa loquitur. Anyone who has ever been on one of my tours has seen me tell producers when I have not liked their wines or Ports ... early and often, politely but directly. There are nearly a dozen people on this site who have witnessed this on a number of occasions. Point being, chatter on a Forum is different than what may happen in the real world.

Suckling, Broadbent, Jancis, Mayson, Parker, Rovani ... every one of them has made mistakes in assessing cask samples. I am positive I have too. Having done this long enough to know the difference, there are very few things harder than making sense of a young cask sample or recently bottled Vintage Port. It takes tremendous concentration, no distractions, lots of time, the ability to revisit the wines over several days, always tasting blind and preparing a TN ever single time you approach each glass. That is the ONLY WAY to say whether a particular infant Port has the stuffing and balance to be worthy. I have been a professional judge in MANY wine competitions for a decade now and have assessed 150 wines in a day, for several days in a row. That is EASY compared to sitting down and tasting 15 infant VPs in a sitting and having to make sense of them, no less, risking one's own reputation with the written document which remains forever. I don't compare myself to any of the big names above, nor do I care.

To wrap up, say what you will. You may think I suck up to producers and of course I love to promote Port and will argue against what I believe are false claims, misguided attacks and folks who think nothing of besmirching a Shipper's reputation. I defend their reputations in their absence and some view that as Roy Hersh being a suck up or apologist for the trade. Honestly, I could care less. When it comes down to assessing a young Vintage Port, I take no prisoners and don't fall in love with everything I taste and I will put my ability to evaluate young Vintage Ports alongside ANY of the names above ... all of which I know and have consumed wine with on numerous occasions ... except for the folks from the WA. We may not agree on our impressions of the wines, but afterall, these are just impressions of one individual and I always include that disclaimer in my Vintage forecasts.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:
My suspicion is that although they looked sparkly clean, they may have contained some contaminant residues from the manufacturing process.
That may well be true, Tom, but I think the very act of re-bottling these samples and then tasting them 2 to 3 weeks later probably doesn't give them a chance, even if the container was completely sterile. General concensus seems to be that cask samples should be opened and tasted as soon after initial bottling as possible to ensure they remain "fresh". I can't begin to imagine why this is, given that they are filled with wine designed to last decades, but it does seem to be a unanimously held view.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:
This note convinces me that our little transatlantic experiment has failed so I don't intend repeating it with any other samples I receive as it seems rather disrespectful to subject the wines to such abuse and not give them the opportunity to show the best they have to offer. Sorry guys
I checked out the chemistry on Julian's little bottles, and aside from the fact that PET does allow some diffusion of oxygen, thereby making them unsuitable as long term receptacles, they should in theory be fine.

Filling them brim full of your beloved Tesco Reserve for a day or two to leach out any nasties might just work - the residues might not be instantly soluble, so a quick flush may not be sufficient - make sure the inside of the cap gets a soak as well as the bottle.

Tom
we shall find out as I've recycled said containers with a mystery port for some ny tasters =)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Gman,

I have received samples in test tubes to from So. Africa, German (Madeira samples) and Portugal. They were always small glass vials, identical to the ones used by doctors for blood samples.

Derek is correct in his premise about cask samples needing to be consumed as soon as possible. I have saved some 375s of 1997, 2000, 2003/5/6 cask samples to experiment with over the years. Whenever I have opened them a year or three or five years later ... they have never once held up or tasted anything like they did when they were opened early on. Starting in 2000, I made it a policy to ask for 750 ml bottles, but there are still a couple of producers that would rather ship more of the small bottles. But to answer Derek's very good question: the reason that cask samples do not hold up, is due to the fact that they are hand filled bottles in the vast majority of instances, and oxygen has been introduced, compared to finished product filled by machine under a vacuum. Oxidation is the issue, and necessitates the VP cask samples being tasted very early on.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Roy Hersh wrote:Gman,

I have received samples in test tubes to from So. Africa, German (Madeira samples) and Portugal. They were always small glass vials, identical to the ones used by doctors for blood samples.

Derek is correct in his premise about cask samples needing to be consumed as soon as possible. I have saved some 375s of 1997, 2000, 2003/5/6 cask samples to experiment with over the years. Whenever I have opened them a year or three or five years later ... they have never once held up or tasted anything like they did when they were opened early on. Starting in 2000, I made it a policy to ask for 750 ml bottles, but there are still a couple of producers that would rather ship more of the small bottles. But to answer Derek's very good question: the reason that cask samples do not hold up, is due to the fact that they are hand filled bottles in the vast majority of instances, and oxygen has been introduced, compared to finished product filled by machine under a vacuum. Oxidation is the issue, and necessitates the VP cask samples being tasted very early on.
Yes, Oxygen is the chief concern here. 11 days passed between the UK tasting and mine. Assuming that some oxygen was introduced when the sample was prepared in the Douro, and again when mine was prepared in the UK, it would imply a very long decant for a small bottle. However, that said, I noticed considerable difference over the course of 24 hrs when i created conditions of a standard decant. Travel and oxidation did diminish the wine, we know that from experience, but also clearly the wine did not change nearly as much as it could have.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Roy Hersh wrote:But to answer Derek's very good question: the reason that cask samples do not hold up, is due to the fact that they are hand filled bottles in the vast majority of instances, and oxygen has been introduced, compared to finished product filled by machine under a vacuum.
Roy, I’m curious to know more about this. I can understand that modern VPs are now bottled mechanically in conditions which could avoid contamination but I’m surprised that this has always been the case for Ports. Would not the bottling process in say, the 40s (or even earlier) have been nothing more than a glorified hand-filling and thus introduce some Oxygen? Or bottles bottled more recently in the UK by importers from a Pipe in their cellars? Yet many of those Ports are still excellent today.

Have you had a chance to experiment with keeping 75cl samples for a longer period of time? I wonder if there would be less difference between a cask sample in a standard bottle, with a standard Port cork and a regularly bottling.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

When it was just Andy V and Uncle Tom being rude about me, it could be ignored another random far-away policeman doing what they do. But now Roy Hersh, member of the Confraria do Vinho do Porto, the man whose face appears on the pages of :ftlop:, has joined this impertinent and disrespectful folly. Even though continued silence might be more dignified, it is the moment for a public rebuttal: a reply, in common parlance.

There is nothing wrong with sucking up to the port industry. For us lowly enthusiasts, not owed any favours by the great, the good, or those with the best-furnished cellars, for us humble enthusiasts, owners of a few modest cases, there is no downside to sucking up to the port industry. So don’t disrespect it.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:When it was just Andy V and Uncle Tom being rude about me, it could be ignored another random far-away policeman doing what they do. But now Roy Hersh, member of the Confraria do Vinho do Porto, the man whose face appears on the pages of :ftlop:, has joined this impertinent and disrespectful folly. Even though continued silence might be more dignified, it is the moment for a public rebuttal: a reply, in common parlance.

There is nothing wrong with sucking up to the port industry. For us lowly enthusiasts, not owed any favours by the great, the good, or those with the best-furnished cellars, for us humble enthusiasts, owners of a few modest cases, there is no downside to sucking up to the port industry. So don’t disrespect it.
For once, and hopefully once only, jdaw1 and I are in complete agreement. 88)

PS: Andy, Roy and all other US readers: please, I beg of you, engage Brit-style humour mode and re-read Julian's post before responding :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

When it was just Andy V and Uncle Tom being rude about me
Now Julian, please, when I have been rude to you?

Resisting the temptation has been an enormous burden at times, but did I lapse at some point..? :D

Tom
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:When it was just Andy V and Uncle Tom being rude about me, it could be ignored another random far-away policeman doing what they do. .
Hey I'm not random, you know me..the rest I resemble :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I'm scared, I think I'm starting to understand British humor. I understood the joke before I got to derek's post. :shock:
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Roy Hersh wrote:
I love a good Portfight as much as the next guy, but in this case, let's deconstruct the charge.

If Andy and Roy are very bad at jumping to wild conclusions, then Andy and Roy must be very good at jumping to well-supported conclusions.

And that's not bad, is it?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Andy V wrote:Now I'm scared, I think I'm starting to understand British humor. I understood the joke before I got to derek's post. :shock:
Ah, but you've missed the irony that "British" humour doesn't exist; like culture it only exists in English, Welsh and Scottish forms :-P