A new gadget

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

A new gadget

Post by RonnieRoots »

I found this today on the internet. Apparently, we don't need to let our Fonseca 85 breathe for 12 hours, all we need to do it pour it through a magic funnel! Probably utterly useless, but I must admit that I'm intrigued by it.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: A new gadget

Post by Glenn E. »

I've seen numerous variations on that device, and while I have no doubt that it does a good job of mixing the wine with air while pouring, I see very little point in the device. You're still not going to carry it with you to a restaurant, and any old $15-25 glass decanter will do just as good of a job (if not better) and look better doing it.

Decanting isn't just a matter of mixing air with wine. It takes time for that mixture to fully react, and this device eliminates that time. I'm sure it has a nearly instant effect, but it's not the FULL effect of decanting the wine.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: A new gadget

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:I've seen numerous variations on that device, and while I have no doubt that it does a good job of mixing the wine with air while pouring, I see very little point in the device. You're still not going to carry it with you to a restaurant, and any old $15-25 glass decanter will do just as good of a job (if not better) and look better doing it.

Decanting isn't just a matter of mixing air with wine. It takes time for that mixture to fully react, and this device eliminates that time. I'm sure it has a nearly instant effect, but it's not the FULL effect of decanting the wine.
As Jacob has pointed me to this thread =)

I've tried it on a dry red I've got sitting at home, both in the glass, in the decanter and using the vinturi.
Out of the bottle, the nose was the most mute, out of decanter was a clear improvement, but it was nothing like using the vinturi.
The fruit was lusher and slightly sweeter with the vinturi. Sounds like a sales pitch huh?

but yes, it would look pretty stupid to pull it out at a restaurant.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz