Alcohol and health

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by TLW »

Glenn E. wrote:I like vegetables. They are what food eats.
Indeed, well-cooked vegetarians can be quite tasty.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28797106]How safe is eating meat?[/url], wrote:• Professor Sir David Speigelhalter of Cambridge University says another way of looking at this is, if the studies are right, that you would expect someone who eats a bacon sandwich every day to live, on average, two years less than someone who does not.

• Pro rata, this is like losing an hour of your life for every bacon sandwich you eat. To put this into context, every time you smoke 20 cigarettes, this will take about five hours off your life.
There are two theories about the BBC. One theory says that the BBC is an excellent and neutral source of news based on facts. Another theory says that it is full of tofu-eating communist feminist traitors. The linked article favours the second theory.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:news based on facts.
I've always thought of news as "facts you may find interesting."

"News based on facts" is what we here in the US call an editorial.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:There are two theories about the BBC. One theory says that the BBC is an excellent and neutral source of news based on facts. Another theory says that it is full of tofu-eating communist feminist traitors.
I am firmly in camp two. They should all be made to eat bacon rolls.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

DRT wrote:I am firmly in camp two. They should all be made to eat bacon rolls.
I am a firm believer in eating vegetarians.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Great news about Sainsbury’s own-brand Madeira (which is excellent value):

If drunk from a glass, zero calories. Fantastic diet drink.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Given that my diet is concentrated on low carbs I can go for the bottle option rather than restricting myself to the glass.

Splendid.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

jdaw1 wrote:Great news about Sainsbury’s own-brand Madeira (which is excellent value):

If drunk from a glass, zero calories. Fantastic diet drink.
Less good news on the alcohol. It, along with the energy, vanishes....
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I make no claims about the veracity, as I have never heard of this magazine before.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:
I make no claims about the veracity, as I have never heard of this magazine before.
An epidemiologist of my acquaintance (my father) wrote:Many years ago I came across a most interesting article regarding the cause of death of drunks who had died on the streets of Moscow. The Soviet GRU picked them up and sent the corpses to the local mortuary where they were all post-mortemed.

Of course, they had all died of hypothermia — ‘stiffs’ in the real sense of the word — but every one had totally clean coronary arteries, like ‘those of babies’ was the comment. The conclusion was that vodka was the cause of the clean coronary arteries, but also the cause of falling over dead drunk in the street and dying of cold in the freezing Russian Winter.

Conclusion: drink vodka regularly for coronary artery health.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
An epidemiologist of my acquaintance (my father) wrote:Many years ago I came across a most interesting article regarding the cause of death of drunks who had died on the streets of Moscow. The Soviet GRU picked them up and sent the corpses to the local mortuary where they were all post-mortemed.

Of course, they had all died of hypothermia — ‘stiffs’ in the real sense of the word — but every one had totally clean coronary arteries, like ‘those of babies’ was the comment. The conclusion was that vodka was the cause of the clean coronary arteries, but also the cause of falling over dead drunk in the street and dying of cold in the freezing Russian Winter.

Conclusion: drink vodka regularly for coronary artery health.
Better conclusion: drink vodka regularly while remaining in a warm, safe place for coronary artery health.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=81749#p81749]Here[/url] djewesbury wrote:
AW77 wrote:I wonder what your neighbours thought when they watched the unloading of the pallet from behind their curtains. :)
What they thought was, "that weird English bloke is planning to drink himself to death".
Would that thought have been wrong?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=81749#p81749]Here[/url] djewesbury wrote:
AW77 wrote:I wonder what your neighbours thought when they watched the unloading of the pallet from behind their curtains. :)
What they thought was, "that weird English bloke is planning to drink himself to death".
Would that thought have been wrong?
I am NOT weird!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

A favourite book of my grandfather was Dr E A Maker's Wine is the Best Medicine. I have recently acquired a copy and have been reminding myself why it is such a fascinating and important work. After setting out the basic theory: wine, being a natural product, contains many elements which are useful for treating various ailments, he lists various conditions and.prescribes a vinous treatment. For example, kidney problems may be aided by light white wine which is a directic. Skeletal problems may be aided by wines grown in chalk on account of their calcium content.

Being French, the only wines prescribed are also French but, happily, the English translation contains a supplement including some European wines. Oddly, these are arranged by country rather than illness which makes.prescriptions harder. However, the Portuguese section begins with Port:
Port, from the Duro valley, is without doubt the most
celebrated of the wines of this Atlantic country. It
made from black grapes, and its colour varies between
ruby red and burnt topaz. From a medical point
view, it is to be reserved for patients convalescing for
serious illness, or suffering from low blood pressure.
Carrying a copy of this prescription is firmly advised in case of unexpected hospitalisation and the like.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:A favourite book of my grandfather was Dr E A Maker's Wine is the Best Medicine.
Please verify spelling of author’s name.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Apologies: autocorrected by my ’phone. It is Dr E A Maury. The Wine Doctor has a page about him.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:Apologies: autocorrected by my ’phone. It is Dr E A Maury.
Excellent — and I correctly guessed the problem. Two cheap copies just bought, one being for my father.

Thank you.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The Daily Telegraph, an an article entitled [url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/11136111/New-drug-for-mild-alcoholics-drinking-two-glasses-of-wine-a-night.html]New drug for 'mild alcoholics' drinking two glasses of wine a night[/url], wrote:Hundreds of thousands of people drinking half a bottle of wine a night are to be put on the first ever drug to help reduce alcohol consumption, under plans announced by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence.

Men drinking three pints of beer and women drinking two large glasses of wine per night and who do not cut down within two weeks should be prescribed a new drug, Nice has said.

There are an estimated 750,000 people in the UK who would be eligible for nalmefene who show no overt symptoms associated with their drinking.

The plans mean GPs will actively ask patients about their alcohol consumption even when they see them for unrelated health matters such as low mood, inability to sleep, diabetes and high blood pressure.

The drug, which costs £3 per tablet, is taken when people feel the urge to have a drink and stops them from wanting more than one.

The plans will cost £288m per year and it is estimated to save 1,854 lives over five years and prevent 43,074 alcohol-related diseases and injuries over the same period.
It is tempting to quote the tennis player John McEnroe.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I heard this on the Today programme and spat out my claret in the shower. But it's ok; it only appears to cover drinking at night. I would assume most of us are well stocked up by then and will happily sit popping mood suppressing tablets for the evening as we gaze compliantly into the television screen.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I listened to an hour of this drivel on Radio 4 today. The guy who was representing the research group basically rubbished the way the story has been reported but was completely ignored by the idiot conducting the interview.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:It is tempting to quote the tennis player John McEnroe.
djewesbury wrote:I heard this on the Today programme and spat out my claret in the shower.
DRT wrote:I listened to an hour of this drivel on Radio 4 today.
We appear to have a consensus.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29616418]Michael Mosley: Should people be eating more fat?[/url], wrote:Contrary to conventional advice, eating more of some fats may be good for our health, says Michael Mosley.

It really is the sort of news that made me want to weep into my skinny cappuccino and then pour it down the sink. After years of being told, and telling others, that saturated fat clogs your arteries and makes you fat, there is now mounting evidence that eating some saturated fats may actually help you lose weight and be good for the heart.

Earlier this year, for example, a systematic review, funded by the British Heart Foundation and with the rather dry title "Association of dietary, circulating and supplement fatty acids with coronary risk" caused a stir.

Scientists from Oxford, Cambridge and Harvard, amongst others, examined the links between eating saturated fat and heart disease. Despite looking at the results of nearly 80 studies involving more than a half million people they were unable to find convincing evidence that eating saturated fats leads to greater risk of heart disease.

In fact, when they looked at blood results, they found that higher levels of some saturated fats, in particular a type of saturated fat you get in milk and dairy products called margaric acid, were associated with a lower risk of heart disease.

Although there were critics, NHS Choices described this as "an impressively detailed and extensive piece of research, which is likely to prompt further study".

Some academics queried the paper, others worried that this sort of research would confuse people and the message they would get would not be "it's OK to eat more of some forms of fat" but that "it's OK to eat lots more saturated fat, even if it is in pies". We know that current levels of obesity have been fuelled, at least in part, by snacks like muffins, crisps and cakes, all high in fat, sugar and calories.
Lots more saturated fat as found in pies: yum yum yum. Thunderbirds Are Go!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29821860]Alcohol calorie content: Labels needed, says RSPH[/url], wrote:Alcohol should have a calorie content label in order to reduce obesity, according to public health doctors.

The doctors warn a large glass of wine can contain around 200 calories - the same as a doughnut.

Yet the Royal Society for Public Health says the vast majority of people are blissfully unaware.
Step forward, politicians willing to be labelled as being “against bliss”.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
The BBC, in an article entitled [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29821860]Alcohol calorie content: Labels needed, says RSPH[/url], wrote:The doctors warn a large glass of wine can contain around 200 calories - the same as a doughnut.
I am willing to bet that people who drink six glasses of wine in one sitting are, on average, thinner than those who prefer to eat six doughnuts.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:I am willing to bet that people who drink six glasses of wine in one sitting are, on average, thinner than those who prefer to eat six doughnuts.
I never eat doughnuts, so it must be true.