Alcohol and health

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Presumably if the salad had been properly washed in a product designed to kill bacteria and remove their toxins then the consumers would have been fine. So the morale of the story (apart from don't eat leaves) is that salad should be washed in vodka or gin before being eaten.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

It is alleged that doing exercise is good for you (not for me, for you). Alleged.

New learning amazes us. The BBC, in an article entitled Can you get the benefits of exercise by having a hot bath?, reports that hot baths and imagining exercise are also excellent for us.

This is fantastic!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:It is alleged that doing exercise is good for you (not for me, for you). Alleged.

New learning amazes us. The BBC, in an article entitled Can you get the benefits of exercise by having a hot bath?, reports that hot baths and imagining exercise are also excellent for us.

This is fantastic!
I hate salad and exercise in equal measure, but neither of them compare to my hatred of lying in hot dirty water.

Please can someone come up with a theory that having a shower is better than salads, exercise and baths?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:Please can someone come up with a theory that having a shower is better than salads, exercise and baths?
Having a shower is excellent for your health, and is far better for you than baths:
- the regular pounding of water droplets on the skin invigorates and aids blood flow, reducing cholesterol and the chance of heart attack
- your muscles are active in the standing position, aiding both leg and core strength
- singing in the shower while standing allows correct breathing and strengthens the diagphragm and aerobic capacity, and boosts endorphins
- showering is more environmentally friendly, generally using less water and less energy for heating
- showering makes you more attractive to the opposite sex, and the same sex, makes you wealthy and can cure cancer
- if you really, really insist on a bath, you can always have a shower first to help minimise the "sitting in dirty water" issue

Since from the article linked, thinking about eating a salad while doing exercise is clearly as beneficial as actually doing, so I suggest thinking about eating a salad while doing exercise as soon as you wake, and then think about how great life is because you're not eating a salad while having a stimulating and health-beneficial shower first thing in the morning.
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

Good news - According to this new study all we need to do to offset the dangers of alcohol is do some walking, gardening or play golf to offset the adverse effects of drinking........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... f-alcohol/
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

CPR 1 wrote:Good news - According to this new study all we need to do to offset the dangers of alcohol is do some walking, gardening or play golf to offset the adverse effects of drinking........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... f-alcohol/
This is absolutely excellent news!

From 1980 to 2001 I was a very keen golfer. I have played lots of golf.

From 1998 to 2001 I was a very keen gardener. I have grown lots of things that grow in a garden.

From 2006 to 2012 I was a very keen hill walker. I have walked up lots of hills.

That is 32 years of mitigation in the bank. I should be fine.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Mention should be made of The Onion’s video entitled Top Benefits Of Drinking Water.

• Keeps insides nice and wet
• Flushes out toxins and other pseudoscientific scapegoats for what’s wrong with you
• Nice way to break up time between cans of Dr Pepper Cherry
• Your skin will look better for the two to three days it will take you to abandon this new health effort
• In a grand sense, each glass you consume is one less glass of water for Bashar Al-Assad

With this collection of informative videos, The Onion shall strike a mortal blow to ignorance everywhere and shatter any pitiful illusions the world once had about how many video views a media juggernaut could accrue.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

From a BBC article entitled "Drinking a few times a week 'reduces diabetes risk'" :

"The researchers concluded that drinking moderately three to four times a week reduced a woman's risk of diabetes by 32% while it lowered a man's by 27%, compared with people drinking on less than one day a week."
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I vaguely remember reading an article a couple of days ago that said drinking alcohol improves your memory.

I've been dry for five days now. Time to open the next bottle of port, I think. If only I can remember where I put the next bottle.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The BBC, GP warns Santa to 'give sherry a miss', could have had much better reasoning:
Father Christmas could be doing serious harm to his health by overloading with mince pies and sherry, a leading doctor has warned.

Professor Helen Stokes-Lampard, head of the Royal College of GPs, said Santa could face a raft of health issues because of his diet and busy schedule.

Some of his conditions could include gout, sleep deprivation and alcoholism.

But we can all help Santa get a bit fitter, and inspire ourselves too, she says.

Professor Stokes-Lampard said: "He's overweight, and all of us do our bit to add to his obesity by leaving mince pies and cookies out for him, and milk or alcohol.

"If Mr Claus was a patient at my practice, I would be encouraging him to adopt a vastly healthier diet and take more exercise in the new year."
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Santa should take plenty of sample bottles with him, then the accumulated sherry could last him all year.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

From Consciousness and Cognition 21 (2012) 487–493, Uncorking the muse: Alcohol intoxication facilitates creative problem solving.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... /add.14249

Women who reported drinking 1–11 units and men who reported drinking 1–34 units of alcohol per week in both surveys were the reference group. Compared with them, women and men who reported no alcohol use in either survey had a higher risk of sickness absence due to mental disorders, musculoskeletal disorders, diseases of the digestive system and diseases of the respiratory system.

Moderate drinkers off sick less than those that don't drink at all.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

BBC, The peasant whose binge drinking went global:

“Most of Liu's supporters are men - "I guess they also love drinking, maybe there is a little sense of jealousy" - but his wife does not share their admiration.”

“… Dr Sara Kayat, a doctor in London, says - despite his iron constitution - Liu risks passing out, vomiting, and even asphyxiation. There are also long-term dangers, she says. "Binge drinking and excessive alcohol consumption can lead to mental health problems and liver damage, and are associated with increased blood pressure, irregular heart rhythms, and even some cancers."”
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »