Page 83 of 83

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 23:54 Thu 06 Dec 2018
by jdaw1
AHB wrote:
18:38 Thu 06 Dec 2018
The wines on the night we’re:

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 01:00 Fri 07 Dec 2018
by AHB
I didn’t write that! IOS did. Damn autocorrect.

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 17:01 Thu 27 Dec 2018
by AHB
Remind me, are we allowed to report posts by people who have American English as their first language or is this thread just for the admonishment re-educationof the native English speaker?

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 17:50 Thu 27 Dec 2018
by DRT
AHB wrote:
17:01 Thu 27 Dec 2018
Remind me, are we allowed to report posts by people who have American English as their first language or is this thread just for the admonishment re-educationof the native English speaker?
The use of Americanisms should not be reported as they can't help it. Misuse of apostrophes and general grammar crimes should be reported.

The current POTUS is generally excused under the general "he can't help it" rule.

Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 19:09 Thu 27 Dec 2018
by PhilW
DRT wrote:The current POTUS is generally excused under the general "he can't help it" rule.
"They say I used apostrophys wrong - fake news! Fake news. We have the best apostrophys, they just didnt understand what I said. Fake news, so sad."

Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 15:50 Fri 28 Dec 2018
by StuartC
PhilW wrote:"They say I used apostrophys wrong - fake news! Fake news. We have the best apostrophys, they just didnt understand what I said. Fake news, so sad."
Is it childish to point out there's no "y" in apostrophe/apostrophes; or the missing punctuation in "didn't" when it's clearly a popular representation of a populist representative...? :lol:

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 19:50 Fri 28 Dec 2018
by PhilW
StuartC wrote:
PhilW wrote:"They say I used apostrophys wrong - fake news! Fake news. We have the best apostrophys, they just didnt understand what I said. Fake news, so sad."
Is it childish to point out there's no "y" in apostrophe/apostrophes; or the missing punctuation in "didn't" when it's clearly a popular representation of a populist representative...?
It was, of course, deliberate satire.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 10:13 Mon 31 Dec 2018
by DRT
PhilW wrote:
19:50 Fri 28 Dec 2018
StuartC wrote:
PhilW wrote:"They say I used apostrophys wrong - fake news! Fake news. We have the best apostrophys, they just didnt understand what I said. Fake news, so sad."
Is it childish to point out there's no "y" in apostrophe/apostrophes; or the missing punctuation in "didn't" when it's clearly a popular representation of a populist representative...?
It was, of course, deliberate satire.
Perhaps some random CAPITALIZATION would have made that more bigly Obvious?

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 00:18 Sat 30 Mar 2019
by jdaw1

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 14:02 Wed 31 Jul 2019
by jdaw1
AHB wrote:
12:43 Wed 31 Jul 2019
On it's own this is a fruity and flavoursome White Port

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 20:59 Sat 03 Aug 2019
by AHB
jdaw1 wrote:
14:02 Wed 31 Jul 2019
AHB wrote:
12:43 Wed 31 Jul 2019
On it's own this is a fruity and flavoursome White Port
Embarrasing. Thank you for catching it. Now corrected.

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 22:34 Mon 07 Oct 2019
by jdaw1
Holding Mike to a high standard.
flash_uk wrote:
18:11 Mon 07 Oct 2019
The Monkey is here. He guesses Warre ‘77.

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 14:50 Tue 08 Oct 2019
by flash_uk
jdaw1 wrote:
22:34 Mon 07 Oct 2019
Holding Mike to a high standard.
flash_uk wrote:
18:11 Mon 07 Oct 2019
The Monkey is here. He guesses Warre ‘77.
...allowing me to learn that the apostrophe on an iPhone is not where I thought it was!

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 15:05 Sun 01 Dec 2019
by DRT

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 20:22 Tue 03 Dec 2019
by jdaw1
Fussy, I know.

Image

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 13:40 Wed 04 Dec 2019
by AHB
Is this your new career? Driving the family tall truck?

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 14:08 Wed 04 Dec 2019
by Andy Velebil
In fairness, from someone who has had to try to program one of those sign boards on more than one occasion, I can attest they aren't always easy and they don't always allow you to enter things the way you intended. And you shouldn't take pics when you are operating a motor vehicle.

Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 17:17 Wed 04 Dec 2019
by jdaw1
Andy Velebil wrote:In fairness, from someone who has had to try to program one of those sign boards on more than one occasion, I can attest they aren't always easy and they don't always allow you to enter things the way you intended. And you shouldn't take pics when you are operating a motor vehicle.
I was standing on the pavement, waiting for a bus.

Indeed, the Wisemanmobile is being sold for scrap.

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 16:14 Sat 08 Feb 2020
by jdaw1
There is much that could be said about the Trump impeachment. And I realise that this may well be the least of it. Nonetheless:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51408704
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/07/trump-i ... house.html
https://www.npr.org/2020/02/07/80390441 ... awyer-says
why this country now has one less soldier serving it at the White House

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 13:19 Sun 09 Feb 2020
by DRT
jdaw1 wrote:
16:14 Sat 08 Feb 2020
There is much that could be said about the Trump impeachment. And I realise that this may well be the least of it. Nonetheless:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51408704
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/07/trump-i ... house.html
https://www.npr.org/2020/02/07/80390441 ... awyer-says
why this country now has one less soldier serving it at the White House
Perhaps that mistake should be credited to David Pressman as the news organisations you ave linked to are simply quoting what he said?

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 00:58 Mon 10 Feb 2020
by jdaw1
DRT wrote:
13:19 Sun 09 Feb 2020
Perhaps that mistake should be credited to David Pressman as the news organisations you ave linked to are simply quoting what he said?
It was my intention to ‘credit’ David Pressman. The news sources were cited only because I could not find online a definitive original.