Page 82 of 82

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 23:01 Mon 05 Jun 2017
by flash_uk
Glenn E. wrote:
20:48 Mon 05 Jun 2017
On Android using the Google Keyboard, switch to number input (hit the ?123 button) then hold down the hyphen to see other options.

:)
Any tips for iOS? :D

Edit: Ah. Same thing works on iOS! Many thanks!

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 16:55 Tue 06 Jun 2017
by Glenn E.
flash_uk wrote:
23:01 Mon 05 Jun 2017
Glenn E. wrote:
20:48 Mon 05 Jun 2017
On Android using the Google Keyboard, switch to number input (hit the ?123 button) then hold down the hyphen to see other options.

:)
Any tips for iOS? :D
Get a new phone?
:twisted:

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 22:00 Wed 14 Jun 2017
by Glenn E.
Andy Velebil wrote:
21:11 Wed 14 Jun 2017
The "hills" by my house are over 4,000' (~ 13,000 meters).
Math is hard. ;-)

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 22:08 Wed 14 Jun 2017
by Andy Velebil
Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
21:11 Wed 14 Jun 2017
The "hills" by my house are over 4,000' (~ 13,000 meters).
Math is hard. ;-)
Hahha. One too many zeros on that. Damn phone. 1,300 meters. That better?

And the peaks behind that are higher. Though I think Eric in Colorado has us all beat at over 10,000 foot peaks there. Though I have skied at about 13,000 feet in Telluride Colorado and breathing during exertion gets a bit tougher at that elevation


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 05:05 Thu 15 Jun 2017
by Glenn E.
Mt. Rainier is 14,411. :-P

I've skied at 12,000' in Colorado (Crested Butte). Yeah, the last couple thousand feet make a big difference. Most of the resort is between 9000' and 10,500', but if you go up top and take a couple of those black runs you'll be gasping for breath in no time.

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 08:34 Thu 15 Jun 2017
by PhilW
Glenn E. wrote:
05:05 Thu 15 Jun 2017
Mt. Rainier is 14,411. :-P

I've skied at 12,000' in Colorado (Crested Butte). Yeah, the last couple thousand feet make a big difference. Most of the resort is between 9000' and 10,500', but if you go up top and take a couple of those black runs you'll be gasping for breath in no time.
That's nothing; when I was a lad our parents would make my brother and I go t'top of Mount Everest before breakfast, with no Oxygen, or ice axes - or shoes; have a boxing match on the summit and t'loser had to carry t'winner back down while singing God save the Queen, and if we didn't do it quick enough they made us dig our own graves, bury ourselves, and then they would dance on our graves singing Hallelujah. TPF members of today think they have it tough, pah!

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 09:34 Thu 15 Jun 2017
by Old Bridge
PhilW wrote:
08:34 Thu 15 Jun 2017
Glenn E. wrote:
05:05 Thu 15 Jun 2017
Mt. Rainier is 14,411. :-P

I've skied at 12,000' in Colorado (Crested Butte). Yeah, the last couple thousand feet make a big difference. Most of the resort is between 9000' and 10,500', but if you go up top and take a couple of those black runs you'll be gasping for breath in no time.
That's nothing; when I was a lad our parents would make my brother and I go t'top of Mount Everest before breakfast, with no Oxygen, or ice axes - or shoes; have a boxing match on the summit and t'loser had to carry t'winner back down while singing God save the Queen, and if we didn't do it quick enough they made us dig our own graves, bury ourselves, and then they would dance on our graves singing Hallelujah. TPF members of today think they have it tough, pah!
Brilliant!!
MP come alive again.

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 15:17 Thu 15 Jun 2017
by Andy Velebil
Hahahah!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 21:58 Thu 29 Jun 2017
by jdaw1
Glenn E. wrote:
05:05 Thu 15 Jun 2017
skied at 12,000' in Colorado
Phil’s reprimand was good, and, generously, he even left an error for others to spot. In a thread entitled ‘Apostrophe crimes’ everybody will have noticed Glenn’s incorrect use of a straight single quote (“'”, U+0027) rather than the prime symbol (“”, U+2032). Tut tut.

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 14:37 Fri 01 Sep 2017
by jdaw1
jdaw1 wrote:
20:31 Thu 31 Aug 2017
Thank you
I confess to the omission of a terminating full stop.

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 00:31 Sat 13 Jan 2018
by jdaw1
Image

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 15:05 Sat 13 Jan 2018
by flash_uk
I suspect many others are thinking exactly what I'm thinking after seeing this.

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Posted: 16:25 Sat 13 Jan 2018
by John Owlett
Remarkable attention to detail: I have a Casio digital watch exactly like that one.