Apostrophe crimes

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=99890#p99890]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Would it be worth making a special team-skinny-fries request?
Tricky. Too many layers: ‘skinny’ must bind to ‘fries’ more tightly than the pair does to ‘team’, which must bind more tightly to the pair than to ‘special’. Obviously the correct answer is a re-word, but failing that, the punctuation is tricky.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=99890#p99890]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Would it be worth making a special team-skinny-fries request?
Tricky. Too many layers: ‘skinny’ must bind to ‘fries’ more tightly than the pair does to ‘team’, which must bind more tightly to the pair than to ‘special’. Obviously the correct answer is a re-word, but failing that, the punctuation is tricky.
"A special order of skinny fries for the team" requires no such complexity.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=100065#p100065]Here[/url] LGTrotter wrote:corked bottles becoming the responsibility of the cork producers insurance company.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I have apparently purged most of the memory in self defense, but I saw a sign on the road that managed to make multiple errors with a single misplaced apostrophe.

As I recall the word in question ended in 's' and so appeared to need to have the apostrophe after the 's' for plural possessive. The problem being twofold: a) this was one of those other words that ends in 's' that needs to have an apostrophe and an 's' added, and b) in the usage on the sign the word was neither plural nor possessive.

I really wish I could remember the whole sign. It was spectacularly bad.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Can it be found on Google’s streetview?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:Can it be found on Google’s streetview?
Likely not. It was the same type of sign as is most often used for political purposes (i.e. non-permanent). Roughly 11 x 17 and stuck in the ground by its wire frame.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:This punctuation criticism went wrong.
Please clarify the accusation. I would expect "some people's keyboards" as appears currently written (it may have been corrected?) for the keyboards of some people; by comparison "some people's faiths" (the faiths of some people) vs "some peoples' faiths" (the faiths of some peoples) both being different and valid.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Please clarify the accusation.
Their was an error.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

A shop near East Croydon station, 13th March 2016.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:Their was an error.
Ah, their was indeed. I was too apostrophe-focused.
The "2016 Timeless Collection"... oh dear.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

While not specifically relating to punctuation, this seems to fit the thread:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

He did play for the Charleston RiverDogs, so maybe.

Or maybe not.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Probably typed on an Apple and autocorrected
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=100289#p100289]Here[/url] LGTrotter wrote:The QVVV has no chance of being at it's best at 21.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Serralves.pt wrote:This first exhibition in Portugal of influential New York-based British artist Liam Gillick (1964, Aylesbury, UK) results from a series of site visits to the Serralves Museum of Contemporary Art made since 2013. The subsequent exhibition takes the form of a year-long presentation and reflects Gillick’s long-standing engagement with questions of process, participation, collectivity and decision-making, and of which his varied approach to language and the language of space are an expression.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

jdaw1 wrote:
Serralves.pt wrote:This first exhibition in Portugal of influential New York-based British artist Liam Gillick (1964, Aylesbury, UK) results from a series of site visits to the Serralves Museum of Contemporary Art made since 2013. The subsequent exhibition takes the form of a year-long presentation and reflects Gillick’s long-standing engagement with questions of process, participation, collectivity and decision-making, and of which his varied approach to language and the language of space are an expression.
I've re-read this a couple of times and can't find the problem. Can you enlighten me?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

flash_uk wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
I've re-read this a couple of times and can't find the problem. Can you enlighten me?
I believe the apostrophe before the 'n' is wrong. I'm not a true linguist so do not know the correct names, but both should be a straight apostrophe and not a curled apostrophe. At the very least they should both be the comma-style curled apostrophe, not the upside down one, as the letter 'n' is not being encapsulated by them. Both represent a missing letter.

Close enough?
Glenn Elliott
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Ah, yes.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:I believe the apostrophe before the 'n' is wrong. I'm not a true linguist so do not know the correct names, but both should be a straight apostrophe and not a curled apostrophe. At the very least they should both be the comma-style curled apostrophe, not the upside down one, as the letter 'n' is not being encapsulated by them. Both represent a missing letter.

Close enough?
Both should be right single apostrophes, also known as ‘9’s. For the reason you say.

Separately, “engagement with questions of process, participation, collectivity and decision-making”, in this context and perhaps in others, is pretentious nonsense. Which our Artist-in-Residence might think good. Or at least might wish that we participants, collectively and decisively whilst following due process, engage with its questions.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=100366#p100366]Here[/url] LGTrotter wrote:a bit 'assassins creed' and you had to murder someone
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2038&start=325]Here[/url] AHB wrote:Presumably if the salad had been properly washed in a product designed to kill bacteria and remove their toxins then the consumers would have been fine. So the morale of the story (apart from don't eat leaves) is that salad should be washed in vodka or gin before being eaten.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2038&start=325]Here[/url] AHB wrote:Presumably if the salad had been properly washed in a product designed to kill bacteria and remove their toxins then the consumers would have been fine. So the morale of the story (apart from don't eat leaves) is that salad should be washed in vodka or gin before being eaten.
Guilty as charged.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
DRT wrote:
Guilty as charged.
To be fair, I am told that the salad was in good spirits before being eaten ;-)
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

There is (or, more accurately, hopefully will be) a list of banks, called the ‘Preliminary List’. Would you say that a bank is on the Preliminary List, or in the Preliminary List?