Apostrophe crimes

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Conky’s missing apostrophes

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3377#3377]Here[/url] Conky wrote:I cant say its magificent, but its helping me along.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Derek T.’s missing apostrophe

Post by jdaw1 »

OK, more than a full page of Conky is surely enough and spare. The ‟folk are now throwing them in everywhere” theory is surely squashed.

Next:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3240#3240]Here[/url] Derek T. wrote:It is a trophy asset that waiting on a single affluent aquirer to purchase for an offsprings wedding reception
Last edited by jdaw1 on 03:52 Sun 23 Sep 2007, edited 4 times in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

ADV’s missing apostrophe

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=4170#4170]Here[/url] ADV wrote:If thats the green door, then that is definitely not Niepoort.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Derek T.’s extra apostrophe

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=4353#4353]Here[/url] Derek T. wrote:I am extremely surprised at how little is sold in Brazil given it's historic links to Portugal.
I beg to disagree with this presumed apostrophe crime. I understood Derek to have used the apostrophe correctly as a contraction and not as a posessive. ie. "I am extremely surprised at how little is sold in Brazil given it has historic links to Portugal."

:wink:

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Conky’s missing apostrophes

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
Before I realised that this was an apostrophe crime I had assumed that this was the way in which Conky protected his cigars from unwanted attention, by securing movement sensitive explosives in his non-humidifying box...

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=4353#4353]Here[/url] Derek T. wrote:I am extremely surprised at how little is sold in Brazil given it's historic links to Portugal.
I beg to disagree with this presumed apostrophe crime. I understood Derek to have used the apostrophe correctly as a contraction and not as a posessive. ie. "I am extremely surprised at how little is sold in Brazil given it has historic links to Portugal."

Alex
Alex is correct

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: the m-dash (“—†)

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Derek T. wrote:You're back - fantastic - the punctuation on this website is decending into chaos
Presumably your non-use of the m-dash (“—†) was merely to test me. As was the absence of a terminating full stop.
Correct.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Derek T. wrote:
AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:

Alex
Alex is correct

Derek
Alex is far from correct. You can not just make up words you are shortening and throw an apostrophe in. It's is 'it is'. Not 'it has'. Not surprisingly, 'It has' is just plain old 'it has'.

Or shall we all start. I could say, wet'er which of course means wet weather!. Or Manchester'ted, which is of course 'Manchester United' :roll:

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Conky is correct

Post by jdaw1 »

The words may stick in my throat, but on this apostrophe-related matter, Conky is correct.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Conky is correct

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:The words may stick in my throat, but on this apostrophe-related matter, Conky is correct.
Is that a comma crime? Should the comma not come after but instead of throat in that sentence?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:The words may stick in my throat, but on this apostrophe-related matter, Conky is correct.
Is that a comma crime? Should the comma not come after but instead of throat in that sentence?
Some argue for both commas: “The words may stick in my throat, but, on this apostrophe-related matter, Conky is correct†. I find that too slow, and in speaking the words tend not to separate the ‘but’ from the clause to which it applies. Either form is acceptable.
The author of [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0226104036/jdaw]The Chicago Manual of Style[/url], in ¶5.29 of the 14th edition, wrote:The comma, perhaps the most versatile of the punctuation marks, indicates the smallest interruption in continuity of thought or sentence structure. There are a few rules governing its use that have become almost obligatory. Aside from these, the use of a comma is mainly a matter of good judgment, with ease of reading the end in view.
The author of [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0226104036/jdaw]The Chicago Manual of Style[/url], in ¶5.30 of the 14th edition, wrote:In contemporary writing, the comma is often omitted, but this open style should be followed only when there is little or no risk of misreading.
Though, to be fair, I object to the The Chicago Manual of Style’s preference for the American style of punctuating around quotation marks, it even agreeing that the British style is more logical (¶5.13). If any of you have or buy the 15th edition, please let me know whether this illogical preference has been maintained.

To summarise: you may safely assume that I am correct. Always.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I hope it doesn't irritate you chaps too much, that it clear I know how to use Apostrophe'''s.............

But, I'm just downright sloppy!

Welcome back Julian.

:lol: :lol: Alan :lol: :lol:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

AHB’s missing apostrophe

Post by jdaw1 »

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Hmm. Not according to the Oxford Dictionaries web site (see this link here). They support my teaching that "it's" is an accepted contraction of either "it is" or "it has" and that the correct contraction has to be deduced from the context.

So Julian can breathe a sigh of relief and withdraw his support for Conky's use of apostrophes. And perhaps admit that once in a lifetime he is wrong?

Don't you just love this thread? :lol:

Alex

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Oxford Dictionaries

Post by jdaw1 »

Oxford Dictionaries wrote wrote:In words such as isn't, I'm, or don't, the apostrophe indicates that one or more letters have been left out.
  • It's is the contracted form of 'It is' or 'It has', not the possessive of it. The possessive is its, with no apostrophe. So you should say `It's a lovely day' or `It's been a lovely day', but `The dog is in its kennel'.
  • You're is a contraction of 'You are'. The possessive is your. Say `You're my best friend', but `Where is your friend?'
Interesting source (though I still don’t believe that was what Derek T. originally meant).
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

The usage of a Contraction apostrophe is generally accepted as thus;

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

Usage note. Contractions such as isn't, couldn't, can't, weren't, he'll, they're occur chiefly, although not exclusively, in informal speech and writing. They are common in personal letters, business letters, journalism, and fiction; they are rare in scientific and scholarly writing.

So being rather scholary, I have to cede this point to you guys who's lifestyle makes them better served to know such things. :D

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Conky’s apostrophe crime

Post by jdaw1 »

Conky wrote:I have to cede this point to you guys who's lifestyle makes them better served to know such things
You meant ‟whose”, of course.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Conky’s apostrophe crime

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Conky wrote:I have to cede this point to you guys who's lifestyle makes them better served to know such things
You meant “whose†, of course.
This actually made me laugh out loud in a house currently occupied only by me.

I agree with Alex, I love this thread.

I disagree with Jdaw, that is what I meant :P

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
That made me laugh out loud as well, but my house is occupied by two children and a wife who are all asleep after having been up at 5am to go car booting this morning.

At least I had the good taste to quote a British source for my reference. The Queen's English can only be referenced with true authority by organisations in one country and not those on the other side of the Atlantic.

OK. 'Nuff for now from me.

Alex

Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

jdaw1 wrote:
As one of my heroes, Captain Mainwaring (Mannering) was oft heard saying,

"Well done lads, I was wondering who'd be the first one to spot that!"

:D Alan :D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Stop, stop ... I can't take any more :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

At whom is that instruction directed?

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:Stop, stop ... I can't take any more
At whom is that instruction directed? Conky? Great.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: At whom is that instruction directed?

Post by DRT »

Jdaw,

I'm not sure why but this thread is even more entertaining after having the pleasure of meeting you.

I don't know if that says more about me or you, but I don't really care what the answer to that question is.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Another one of Captain Mainwarings classics seems apt...

"You Stupid Boy!"

Alan