Who Needs To Detox?

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Who Needs To Detox?

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:This afternoon I went to Henley, had tea in Raymond Blanc's spledid tea shop and strolled to Temple Island and back. Total distance covered was approximately 2 miles with a cumulative ascent of about 20 feet since we had to cross the bridge twice. Now at home, exhausted, I am fishing out the remains of my Ferreira 1963 and have my feet up in front of the telly.
Good to see you kept your fluid intake up in between and after those ascents :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yesterday I completed the biggest physical challenge of my life: The Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge. The "Challenge" is to complete a circular walk encompasing the summits of Whernside (736 m/2,415 ft), Ingleborough (723 m/2,372 ft) and Pen-y-ghent (694 m/2,277 ft), having a total ascent of 5,249ft, within 12 hours.

There route I followed was approximately 27 miles, which I completed in 10 hours and 25 minutes :D

It was a great sense of achievement to complete this walk which included some very challenging ascents and long stretches of trudging along from one hill to the next. The views from each of the three summits were spectacular and I was lucky enough to do it on a day where the entire route and the surrounding Yorkshire Dales were visible at all times.

Here are some pictures...
Whernside.jpg
Whernside.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Whernside summit.jpg
Whernside summit.jpg (83.88 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Ingleborough.jpg
Ingleborough.jpg (73.86 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
The steep ascent to Ingleborough.jpg
The steep ascent to Ingleborough.jpg (107.85 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Looking west from Ingleborough summit.jpg
Looking west from Ingleborough summit.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Pen-y-ghent.jpg
Pen-y-ghent.jpg (75.32 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
The final ascent to Pen-y-ghent.jpg
The final ascent to Pen-y-ghent.jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Pen-y-ghent summit.jpg
Pen-y-ghent summit.jpg (75.04 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Well done Derek ...I am jealous :mrgreen: ...I have always fancied doing a bit of that myself...need to get fit first though :D
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well done chap! But after all that are ya even able to lift a glass of Port to celebrate :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy Velebil wrote:Well done chap! But after all that are ya even able to lift a glass of Port to celebrate :lol:
I celebrated with a glass of Taylor 55 and a glass of Fonseca 77 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Well done chap! But after all that are ya even able to lift a glass of Port to celebrate :lol:
That's my boy :nirvana:
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
DRT wrote:
That's my boy :nirvana:
Well done!

Sounds like a nice hike, too. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:
...and tonight it's a glass of Ferreira 1863 88) 88) :nirvana:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm having to make do with a Porto Rocha 20-year old and a 1997 Quinta do Tedo VP. Not quite up to the standard you're setting for post-exercise recovery libations!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

My 1983 Gould Campbell was corked :crying:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I recently joined a forum dedicated to walking up hills and have spent some time logging all of the walks I have done this year. According to the information I have entered into that forum's very helpful route logging software I have completed 33 walks covering a distance of 354 miles with a total ascent of 66,722 feet since 31st January 2010 88)

I am currently 24 pounds lighter than I was at the beginning of all of this. This means that for every pound I have lost I have walked 14.75 miles and climbed 2,780ft. So, if I walk 15 miles and climb around 3,000ft every week from now on I will weigh nothing in approximately 18 years from now.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:I am currently 24 pounds lighter than I was at the beginning of all of this. This means that for every pound I have lost I have walked 14.75 miles and climbed 2,780ft. So, if I walk 15 miles and climb around 3,000ft every week from now on I will weigh nothing in approximately 18 years from now.
Or, in Port terms, for every 15 miles walked and 3,000 feet climbed you are able to drink an additional 23 glasses of Port.

1 lb = 3,500 calories.
1 standard glass of Port ~= 150 calories.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:I am currently 24 pounds lighter than I was at the beginning of all of this. This means that for every pound I have lost I have walked 14.75 miles and climbed 2,780ft. So, if I walk 15 miles and climb around 3,000ft every week from now on I will weigh nothing in approximately 18 years from now.
Or, in Port terms, for every 15 miles walked and 3,000 feet climbed you are able to drink an additional 23 glasses of Port.

1 lb = 3,500 calories.
An excellent statistic. Thanks.

Does that mean I can drink 6 bottles of Port per week (8 "standard galsses" per bottle) and still lose weight if I walk 45 miles and climb 9,000ft?
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:

1 lb = 3,500 calories.
An excellent statistic. Thanks.

Does that mean I can drink 6 bottles of Port per week (8 "standard galsses" per bottle) and still lose weight if I walk 45 miles and climb 9,000ft?
Yes! Provided that your food intake for the week is restricted to your basal metabolic rate, of course. That's the part that causes most people's problems. As stated you're only allowing for an extra 500 calories per day, which is roughly the equivalent of 2-3 energy bars (or 2-3 pints) above and beyond your basal metabolic rate. Avoid eating those energy bars during your hikes (or drinking the pints while recovering afterwards) and yes, you should lose a little less than a pound a week.

Given that we are nearly the same age, and prior to beginning our exercise regimens we were likely in about the same shape, I would predict that our metabolic rates are similar. Which would put you somewhere in the 1500-2000 calorie per day range.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn E. wrote:I have to run on schedule all this week because next Saturday is supposed to be a 12-mile run and I want to make sure I'm ready for it!
The lead-up week was completed as scheduled, and tomorrow is the longest run of my training program. We had pasta for dinner tonight, but I did not supplement those carbs with some from Port as I feared secondary effects from the alcohol.

I plan to use Port to recover from the run tomorrow night... :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

12-mile run completed, in good time, and in good health. Today's pace tells me that I might actually have a shot at completing the half marathon in my goal of 2:20 - I finished 12 miles today in 2:08:55.

According to my HRM I burned 1292 calories during today's run, which is roughly 9 glasses of Port. MapMyRun says I burned 1664, which would be 11 glasses of Port. I guess I'd better get started!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have not performed as well as I had hoped this weekend. I could have been out walking on Friday night but opted for a BBQ on the patio and today I made lots of excuses about sore knees, fog and rain. Saturday was the only day that I put the effort in and it was a very good effort indeed.

I went to the Lake District and completed a circular route that took in the summits of Ullock Pike, Long Side, Carl Side, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man, Jenkin Hill, Lonscale Fell and Burnt Horse. 3,500ft of ascent over 16 miles in just under 6 hours. A great day in the Northern Fells with some good views and lung-bursting ascents.

Pics...
Skiddaw.jpg
Skiddaw.jpg (50.68 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
Bassenthwaite Lake from Ullock Pike.jpg
Bassenthwaite Lake from Ullock Pike.jpg (24.26 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
Derwent Water.jpg
Derwent Water.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
Jenkin Hill, Skiddaw Little Man and Skiddaw from Lonscale Fell.jpg
Jenkin Hill, Skiddaw Little Man and Skiddaw from Lonscale Fell.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
St John's in the Vale and Helvellyn.jpg
St John's in the Vale and Helvellyn.jpg (65.96 KiB) Viewed 6213 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Your hikes are certainly more picturesque than my runs!
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Ran 6 miles with my running partner today and set several personal bests during the run. The weather has been crummy here this week but today is brilliant, so I was well-rested and looking forward to the run.

We did 6 miles in 58:00. My 3, 4, and 5 miles splits were all personal bests as well, in 27:25, 37:10 (!), and 47:45. That 4 mile split is 50 seconds faster than I've run it before, so pretty pleased with that especially as part of a longer run.

Now to choose a bottle to open for this evening's dinner party... I'm thinking a Kopke 40-year old will do nicely!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I spent Saturday and Sunday walking in the Pentland Hills near Edinburgh. Over the two days I walked 21 miles and ascended over 6,000ft :D

Next Saturday is planned to be a big day out: 18 miles and almost 6,000ft in one day! :? (weather permitting)
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:
DRT wrote:...and tonight it's a glass of Ferreira 1863 88) 88) :nirvana:
Any chance of celebrating by working on the book you are meant to be co-authoring?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

The last 2 weeks have been rough - I seem to have strained the tendons in the top of my left foot, which makes running challenging. It's not too bad while I'm running, but the aftermath is brutal. So I've only run 4 times in the last 2 weeks, mostly just to try to keep some rhythm going before the race next Saturday.

I ran an easy 4 miles this morning and haven't been limping today, but I can tell that the foot took some wear and tear from the run. I'll see how it feels on Monday, and will choose then whether to run Monday/Wednesday or just once on Tuesday. I'll then rest up the rest of the week for the race next Saturday!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Sorry to hear about the injury, Glenn, I hope it recovers in time for your run at the weekend :wink:

On Saturday we climbed 5 Munros in one day for the first time :D - 10 miles and 4,724ft of asecent in 8 hours.

We started off early in the day to avoid the heat but ended up wearing fleeces, hats and gloves due to the freezing north-east winds on the summits. This was a fantastic walk with our most challenging descent so far down the east face of An Stuc. Suffice to say I managed to rip the arse out of my shorts when sliding down the rocks searching for foot and hand holds :shock:

Here are the pictures...
Billy and Ross on An Stuc.jpg
Billy and Ross on An Stuc.jpg (81.03 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
This was our descent route. 300ft down what felt like an almost vertical, loose, rocky lump at 3,500ft up in the air. Very scary stuff !!!!
This was our descent route. 300ft down what felt like an almost vertical, loose, rocky lump at 3,500ft up in the air. Very scary stuff !!!!
East face of An Stuc.jpg (98.95 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
Ben Lawers, An Stuc and Meall Garbh.jpg
Ben Lawers, An Stuc and Meall Garbh.jpg (66.04 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
An Stuc and meall Garbh.jpg
An Stuc and meall Garbh.jpg (70.28 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
Llochan nan Cat.jpg
Llochan nan Cat.jpg (76.28 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
Loch Tay from Meall Greigh.jpg
Loch Tay from Meall Greigh.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 6175 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Any chance of celebrating by working on the book you are meant to be co-authoring?
I forgot to add that on each of the five summits I reached on Saturday I thought deeply about the format of the Bibliography of the book. Unfortunately I have not yet decided what that format should be so more summits will be attempted in order to arrive at a satisfactory conclusion.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Suffice to say I managed to rip the arse out of my shorts when sliding down the rocks searching for foot and hand holds
DRT wrote:Here are the pictures...
The absence of overlap between these statements has been a cause of much relief amongst the readership. Commendation!