Who Needs To Detox?

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Who Needs To Detox?

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:I shall test to see whether or not having a Port tasting the night before you plan to run 8 miles provides good carbo-loading.

The things we must do in the name of science.
Glenn,

Taking one for the team is admirable. Thank you for the sacrifice Image

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Today I climbed the highest mountain in England, Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head.

A very, very hard climb which starts just above sea level and for the most part is a stone staircase of lung-busting proportions. Most of the 3,000ft ascent is achieved in about 1 mile of very steep climbing and after that there are many false summits which sap the strength from your will and your legs. This is definitely the most difficult lump of rock I have ever climbed. The walk/climb took around 5 hours to cover less than 7 miles. The 376 mile round trip by car to get there took another 8 hours out of my day.

The view from the top was stunning, as was the view from the bottom and all points on the ascent. This is perhaps the most beautiful place I have ever been. It took my breath away in more ways than one :wink:

If I awake with any motivation whatsoever I may head off on another epic journey to climb another famous UK peak. The way I fee right now the chances of that happening are very slim.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Congrats on your summit!

Yesterday I managed to complete my 8 mile run and test the theory that calories are calories, ergo Port should work for carbo-loading before a strenuous event.

The results are mixed. Yes, I had sufficient energy for my run, but the other side effects were not a bonus. I believe my water intake during the tasting fell slightly short (1.5l for an 8-Port tasting), for while I did not awake with a hangover I also did not awake feeling spry and ready to run.

So in the future I believe I will save Port for post-exercise recovery instead. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:If I awake with any motivation whatsoever I may head off on another epic journey to climb another famous UK peak. The way I fee right now the chances of that happening are very slim.
Glenn E. wrote:Yesterday I managed to complete my 8 mile run and test the theory that calories are calories, ergo Port should work for carbo-loading before a strenuous event...results are mixed...did not awake feeling spry and ready to run.
Perhaps the half bottle of Taylor 55 I consumed last night can be blamed for my lack of motivation, sore knees and back and blistered feet this morning? Snowdon will have to wait for another day :roll:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yours truely standing by the Trig Point on top of Scafell Pike yesterday...
IMG00044.jpg
IMG00044.jpg (27.56 KiB) Viewed 6940 times
The image quality is rubbish as it was taken on my BlackBerry. It was actually a very clear and sunny day with excellent visibility.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Today I climbed Stuchd an Lochain (Munro 197 - 3150ft) in glorious sunshine. The very steep ascent was rewarded with fabulous views as far as the eye can see.
Stuchd an Lochain.jpg
Stuchd an Lochain.jpg (89.38 KiB) Viewed 6928 times
Glen Lyon.jpg
Glen Lyon.jpg (71.74 KiB) Viewed 6928 times
More tomorrow :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Today Billy and I climbed four Munros: Carn Gorm (Munro 103 - 3,376ft); Meall Garbh (Munro 186 - 3,176ft); Carn Mairg (Munro 91 - 3415ft), and; Meall nan Aigean (Munro 169 - 3,218ft). The total ascent was 4,872ft and the 11.5 mile walk up, along and down this range provided some fantastic views and a great day out, apart from the very sore knees from the very steep descent from Meall nan Aigean.

Here are a few pics:
Derek on Carn Gorm Summit.jpg
Derek on Carn Gorm Summit.jpg (78.49 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
Billy on Meall Garbh Summit.jpg
Billy on Meall Garbh Summit.jpg (23.86 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
Billy on Carn Mairg Summit.jpg
Billy on Carn Mairg Summit.jpg (80.4 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
Derek on Meall nan Aighean Summit.jpg
Derek on Meall nan Aighean Summit.jpg (25.5 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
Loch Rannoch and Ben Nevis.jpg
Loch Rannoch and Ben Nevis.jpg (60.8 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
The last picture shows a spectacular view from the summit of Carn Mairg looking west along Loch Rannoch and over Rannoch Moor towards Ben Nevis, which is the huge bulk of grey rock and snow in the centre of the horizon.

An excellent day out 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

amazing pics, looks great. I am sure you are happy right now.

I am as well, went to Stamford Bridge today to see Chelsea thrash Wigan and win the Premier league this season. Was also great! :) :D

next week after the 78 Vintage Port tasting DrDirk and I will walk from Hastings to Winchelsea via Cliff End (part of the Saxon Shore Way) :roll:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Fantastic pictures, Derek!

I had a very busy weekend that necessitated re-arranging my running schedule. So I ran on Friday to make room for a quick weekend trip on Saturday.

Friday's 10-mile run went very well... for the first 6 miles. Then I started slowing, though I wasn't feeling tired or anything. I drank some water and ate some energy gels during the 6th mile, so I figured I was in good shape to finish the run. But just before the 9 mile mark I bonked pretty hard and struggled to finish the last mile. My pace dropped to a mere 4 mph (barely faster than walking) and my legs felt like dead wood.

Annoyingly, within 15-20 minutes of making it back to my car I felt fine again. It's possible that I simply didn't consume a sufficient number of calories while on the run and I ran into a glucose-debt wall. Next time I run more than 8 miles I'll eat more before the run and then more during the run as well.

So then the interesting part of the weekend... we got up early on Saturday morning and hopped on a bus to Vancouver, British Columbia. Once in Vancouver we boarded a cruise ship that was headed back to Seattle. All the food we could eat, party and dancing all night, breakfast the next morning, and then we were home again! The 1-night cruise is something that Holland America Line does twice a year when they reposition ships from the Caribbean to Alaska (and vice versa) and is needed due to US laws that prohibit foreign flagged ships from carrying passengers between US ports unless they stop at a "far and distant" foreign destination in between. So when the ships leave Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, sail through the Panama Canal (stopping on Lake Gatun to satisfy the foreign destination requirement), and then disembark in San Diego, California, they are left with some sailing to do and no way to conveniently include passengers on the trip. So they do a short 3-day cruise with no stops from San Diego to Vancouver, then another one overnight from Vancouver to Seattle. The bus tickets and assorted taxis cost more than the cruise!

We were pretty beat today so spent most of the day recovering. :-) I'm back to running on schedule starting tomorrow morning!
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Just to change things up a bit this week, I deviated from the program's scheduled runs (4, 7, 5, and 7 miles) and instead ran 7 miles on each of Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. That gave me Monday off to rest a blister that formed last week, though it doesn't seem to have helped as I'm still fighting it.

All-in-all the runs went well. I'm able to run 7 miles solo at a 10:30 pace pretty easily, and with a partner at a 10:00 pace. I'm still not fast, but I can keep going much longer these days.

Three weeks from today is the longest run of the program (prior to race day) - 12 miles. Last week's 10-miler's issues have me worried about finishing that long of a run, so I'm going to have to carefully plan my food intake. But I still have three weeks to prepare.

2:20:00 for the half marathon still looks achievable, but it will be tough. That would be just over a 10:30 pace for 13.1 miles. I've done 8 miles at a 10:30 pace solo before, and I've done 7.5 miles (12k) at a 10:00 pace before in a race, so the trick is just maintaining it for the full 13.1.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I went to Wales on Saturday morning for my first experience of walking up the mountains of Snowdonia. What a spectacular weekend it turned out to be 88)

On Saturday I climbed Y Garn (3,107ft) and Elidir Fawr (3,031ft). The 7 mile hike had a total ascent of 3,608ft.

Today I walked The Snowdon Roller Coaster from Llanberis which takes in Moel Eilio (2,382ft), a couple of other little bumps and Moel Cynghorion (2,211ft) before ascending to Snowdon (3,560ft). I can't find a reliable measurement of this route but from the map it looks to be around 15 miles. The total ascent was 4,801ft. Over the weekend I climbed 5 (possibly 6) good sized lumps of rock with total ascent of 8,409ft over approximately 22 miles. There isn't a single part of my body that doesn't hurt.

Here are some pics...
A steep ascent to the ridge below Y Garn.jpg
A steep ascent to the ridge below Y Garn.jpg (77.79 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
The narrow ridge to Elidir Fawr.jpg
The narrow ridge to Elidir Fawr.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Me on Elidir Fawr Summit.jpg
Me on Elidir Fawr Summit.jpg (61.99 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Moel Eilio.jpg
Moel Eilio.jpg (54.17 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Moel Goch.jpg
Moel Goch.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Moel Cynghorion.jpg
Moel Cynghorion.jpg (57.52 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Snowdon Summit.jpg
Snowdon Summit.jpg (57.37 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Me on Snowdon Summit.jpg
Me on Snowdon Summit.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Glaslyn and Llyn Llydaw from Snowdon Summit.jpg
Glaslyn and Llyn Llydaw from Snowdon Summit.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
The Snowdon Express.jpg
The Snowdon Express.jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 6885 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Great pictures!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:I can't find a reliable measurement of this route but from the map it looks to be around 15 miles. The total ascent was 4,801ft. Over the weekend I climbed 5 (possibly 6) good sized lumps of rock with total ascent of 8,409ft over approximately 22 miles. There isn't a single part of my body that doesn't hurt.
I just found some measurements of a version of this route that misses two significant ascents that I included in mine. It seems I walked 14 miles and ascended 5,607ft yesterday, which makes it 9,215 ft in 21 miles over the two days.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek, I'm worried about you doing all this hiking. Just look at how skinny you are in those pics. You're obviously not drinking enough port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I dunno Andy, the picture's a bit dark but it looks like he has a bottle of Port in his hand on the Snowdon Summit. :mrgreen:
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy Velebil wrote:Just look at how skinny you are in those pics.
I haven't had that said to me for over 30 years :lol: - and it is definitely a camera trick :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Just look at how skinny you are in those pics.
I haven't had that said to me for over 30 years :lol: - and it is definitely a camera trick :wink:
Whew, and I thought that last pic of the smoke was you making rabbit stew.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I had a head cold this weekend so I didn't run on Saturday. I seem to be over it now, though, so went out for a pleasant 5.2 miles this morning. Hopefully I can remain on schedule for the rest of this week, as next week ends with a 12-miler!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Saturday was hot. Very hot. So we headed off to the Drumochdar Pass between Perth and Inverness to climb four Munros: Geal-charn, A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain & Sgairneach Mhor (don't ask me how to pronounce any of them!).

It was a walk of 15 miles with 3,881ft of ascent. Not easy in temperatures in the mid 20s and the final 5 miles back from the foot of Sgairneach Mhor to the car was exhausting.

Here are the pics...
Geal-charn.jpg
Geal-charn.jpg (63.73 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
Ross & Billy on Geal-charn summit.jpg
Ross & Billy on Geal-charn summit.jpg (77.44 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
A'Mharconaich.jpg
A'Mharconaich.jpg (49.97 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
Ross & Derek on A'Mharconaich summit.jpg
Ross & Derek on A'Mharconaich summit.jpg (81.99 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
Beinn Udlamain.jpg
Beinn Udlamain.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
Ross on Beinn Udlamain summit with Ben Alder in the background.jpg
Ross on Beinn Udlamain summit with Ben Alder in the background.jpg (29.89 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
Sgairneach Mhor.jpg
Sgairneach Mhor.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
The last of the snow on Sgairneach Mhor's north crags.jpg
The last of the snow on Sgairneach Mhor's north crags.jpg (72.77 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
Ross, Billy & Derek on Sgairneach Mhor summit.JPG
Ross, Billy & Derek on Sgairneach Mhor summit.JPG (75.61 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
The long walk back to Balsporran.jpg
The long walk back to Balsporran.jpg (100.95 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

It's Bank Holiday weekend in the UK so the opportunity for four days of walking in the hills was difficult to resist.

This evening I headed off to the Peak District for a very familiar set of hills to get my first walk of the weekend in. 12 miles and 3,215ft of ascent in 4.5 hours. A good start 88)

Here are the pics...
Lose Hill.jpg
Lose Hill.jpg (43.26 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
Back Tor.jpg
Back Tor.jpg (89.73 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
These two are not Mountain Cowards.jpg
These two are not Mountain Cowards.jpg (64.38 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
Edale from the summit of Back Tor.jpg
Edale from the summit of Back Tor.jpg (81.91 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
Mam Tor.jpg
Mam Tor.jpg (69.36 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
Mam Tor summit.jpg
Mam Tor summit.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
Lord's Seat.jpg
Lord's Seat.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
The Cheshire Cheese on Edale Road, Hope.jpg
The Cheshire Cheese on Edale Road, Hope.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 6824 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The weather is awful today so I went for a shorter walk. It was horrible. I climbed Bleaklow Head from Birchen Clough lay-by on the A57 Snake Pass. The 7.5 mile route had a mere 1,257ft of ascent but the constant rain and wind made it a very miserable three hours.

Here are the extensive views from the second highest point in the Peak District...
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 001.jpg (54.61 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg (37.81 KiB) Viewed 6819 times

I need some of this tomorrow... :sun: ...as I am heading to the Yorkshire Dales to attempt this. :?
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

You best start being nice to your son, he's getting bigger than you. And I don't want to know what those two sheep were up to and why you were taking pictures of them :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy Velebil wrote:I don't want to know what those two sheep were up to and why you were taking pictures of them :lol:
They were running around head-butting each other about 2 feet away from an 800ft cliff :shock: - the last time I was up there I saw a sheep that had gone over the edge in the same place - it's head was caved in, neck broken. It had landed with such force that it was doing a head-stand with all its legs in the air and a dead lamb hanging out its rear end. Not a pretty sight!
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I can proudly say that I have joined in this exercise frenzy and have done my bit to match Derek's mountain walking, Glenn's marathon sprinting and Andy's cycling from Los Angeles to Seattle for a port tasting.

This afternoon I went to Henley, had tea in Raymond Blanc's spledid tea shop and strolled to Temple Island and back. Total distance covered was approximately 2 miles with a cumulative ascent of about 20 feet since we had to cross the bridge twice. Now at home, exhausted, I am fishing out the remains of my Ferreira 1963 and have my feet up in front of the telly.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Well done! :mrgreen:

Yesterday's weather was icky, so I didn't run then as scheduled. Instead I ran this morning and did a pleasant 7 miles. I have to run on schedule all this week because next Saturday is supposed to be a 12-mile run and I want to make sure I'm ready for it!

I debated opening a '77 Dow today, but ultimately chose not to because my guests will appreciate the Recioto I have chose instead more than they would have appreciated the Dow.
Glenn Elliott