Apostrophe crimes

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21608
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by jdaw1 » 23:54 Thu 06 Dec 2018

AHB wrote:
18:38 Thu 06 Dec 2018
The wines on the night we’re:

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12289
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by AHB » 01:00 Fri 07 Dec 2018

I didn’t write that! IOS did. Damn autocorrect.
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12289
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by AHB » 17:01 Thu 27 Dec 2018

Remind me, are we allowed to report posts by people who have American English as their first language or is this thread just for the admonishment re-educationof the native English speaker?
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15480
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by DRT » 17:50 Thu 27 Dec 2018

AHB wrote:
17:01 Thu 27 Dec 2018
Remind me, are we allowed to report posts by people who have American English as their first language or is this thread just for the admonishment re-educationof the native English speaker?
The use of Americanisms should not be reported as they can't help it. Misuse of apostrophes and general grammar crimes should be reported.

The current POTUS is generally excused under the general "he can't help it" rule.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

PhilW
Dow 1980
Posts: 2894
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by PhilW » 19:09 Thu 27 Dec 2018

DRT wrote:The current POTUS is generally excused under the general "he can't help it" rule.
"They say I used apostrophys wrong - fake news! Fake news. We have the best apostrophys, they just didnt understand what I said. Fake news, so sad."

StuartC
Cheap Ruby
Posts: 23
Joined: 09:34 Thu 19 Jul 2018
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by StuartC » 15:50 Fri 28 Dec 2018

PhilW wrote:"They say I used apostrophys wrong - fake news! Fake news. We have the best apostrophys, they just didnt understand what I said. Fake news, so sad."
Is it childish to point out there's no "y" in apostrophe/apostrophes; or the missing punctuation in "didn't" when it's clearly a popular representation of a populist representative...? :lol:

PhilW
Dow 1980
Posts: 2894
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by PhilW » 19:50 Fri 28 Dec 2018

StuartC wrote:
PhilW wrote:"They say I used apostrophys wrong - fake news! Fake news. We have the best apostrophys, they just didnt understand what I said. Fake news, so sad."
Is it childish to point out there's no "y" in apostrophe/apostrophes; or the missing punctuation in "didn't" when it's clearly a popular representation of a populist representative...?
It was, of course, deliberate satire.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15480
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by DRT » 10:13 Mon 31 Dec 2018

PhilW wrote:
19:50 Fri 28 Dec 2018
StuartC wrote:
PhilW wrote:"They say I used apostrophys wrong - fake news! Fake news. We have the best apostrophys, they just didnt understand what I said. Fake news, so sad."
Is it childish to point out there's no "y" in apostrophe/apostrophes; or the missing punctuation in "didn't" when it's clearly a popular representation of a populist representative...?
It was, of course, deliberate satire.
Perhaps some random CAPITALIZATION would have made that more bigly Obvious?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21608
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by jdaw1 » 00:18 Sat 30 Mar 2019


User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21608
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by jdaw1 » 14:02 Wed 31 Jul 2019

AHB wrote:
12:43 Wed 31 Jul 2019
On it's own this is a fruity and flavoursome White Port

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12289
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by AHB » 20:59 Sat 03 Aug 2019

jdaw1 wrote:
14:02 Wed 31 Jul 2019
AHB wrote:
12:43 Wed 31 Jul 2019
On it's own this is a fruity and flavoursome White Port
Embarrasing. Thank you for catching it. Now corrected.
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21608
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by jdaw1 » 22:34 Mon 07 Oct 2019

Holding Mike to a high standard.
flash_uk wrote:
18:11 Mon 07 Oct 2019
The Monkey is here. He guesses Warre ‘77.

User avatar
flash_uk
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3050
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by flash_uk » 14:50 Tue 08 Oct 2019

jdaw1 wrote:
22:34 Mon 07 Oct 2019
Holding Mike to a high standard.
flash_uk wrote:
18:11 Mon 07 Oct 2019
The Monkey is here. He guesses Warre ‘77.
...allowing me to learn that the apostrophe on an iPhone is not where I thought it was!

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15480
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by DRT » 15:05 Sun 01 Dec 2019

"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21608
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by jdaw1 » 20:22 Tue 03 Dec 2019

Fussy, I know.

Image

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12289
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by AHB » 13:40 Wed 04 Dec 2019

Is this your new career? Driving the family tall truck?
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

Andy Velebil
Dow 1980
Posts: 2630
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by Andy Velebil » 14:08 Wed 04 Dec 2019

In fairness, from someone who has had to try to program one of those sign boards on more than one occasion, I can attest they aren't always easy and they don't always allow you to enter things the way you intended. And you shouldn't take pics when you are operating a motor vehicle.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21608
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Apostrophe crimes

Post by jdaw1 » 17:17 Wed 04 Dec 2019

Andy Velebil wrote:In fairness, from someone who has had to try to program one of those sign boards on more than one occasion, I can attest they aren't always easy and they don't always allow you to enter things the way you intended. And you shouldn't take pics when you are operating a motor vehicle.
I was standing on the pavement, waiting for a bus.

Indeed, the Wisemanmobile is being sold for scrap.

Post Reply