Hello from Ascot

Come and say hello.
Topper
Cruz Ruby

Hello from Ascot

Post by Topper »

Just rediscovering the joys of Vintage Port. First had when was at Uni when the College Cellars were selling them set price irrespective of year.... then I first enjoyed:

1963 Cockburn
1970 Croft

for only £16.95 a bottle.... Now discovering the price change! Now a couple of decades later getting back into it.

Doug
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Hello from Ascot

Post by djewesbury »

Hello Doug. Welcome to :tpf: - thank goodness you used your time well at university! If you're near London come and join us some night, it'd be great to meet you.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello indeed.
Topper wrote:at Uni when the College Cellars
It seems we both used that time well. Please do be more specific about “College”.
Topper
Cruz Ruby

Post by Topper »

College at Durham Uni - I was in College Bar Committee , unfortunately the people in the Committee prior to me had access to many many cases, I just got the last few bottle of vintage port! Still now back in the fold after a couple of decades of wilderness years. During which I had some nice Aussie SA posts whenl lived down-under, surprising good vintage, Port was not very popular downunder, the occasional cellar find was very nice! Lived on SA Australian Vintage Port and Tasmanian Blue Cheese for many a year, before returning to UK, but now back to Portuguese Port and English Stilton lifestyle when possible.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Topper wrote:College at Durham Uni - I was in College Bar Committee , unfortunately the people in the Committee prior to me had access to many many cases
Who paid for it? Whose Port was it?
Topper
Cruz Ruby

Post by Topper »

Was one of the College bars at Durham, I paid for the port many many years ago. At the time I managed to get the last few bottles back in the 1990s, as the previous years of students had purchased majority of stocks before I was there. But that was decades ago. Now appreciating port again and looking for some more vintage from the 1970ies.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Please do feel free to invite yourself along to one of our London port evenings. All are open for anyone to join unless we have 14 people already attending, inwhich case a waiting list will be opened.

Or if you are in London and free for an evening then please feel free to start a thread in the Oganising Tastings section and see whether anyone else is free to join you - two TPF members makes a quorum!

The general principle is that if you come to a tasting then you contribute a bottle (either in the form of a bottle or the form of buying a bottle from someone else) and pay around £40 towards the cost of your meal, glasses, room hire and tip. (If you don't eat then it's about £10 towards the shared costs.)

And I'm not too far from you being based in Bracknell, so welcome.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.