Hello from London

Come and say hello.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Hello from London

Post by DaveRL »

Hello All
Relatively newbie port drinker from London. Although I've bought or tried (and loved) the odd bottle of port over the last 20 years, somehow I've not got hooked until now. Explored the usual red/white, new and old world wines, and via sweeter whites I've rediscovered port! No idea what took me so long, but anyway, I've finally come to my senses!

I realise that there are a lot of ports out there, and I've a lot to learn, (so take any tasting note postings I might make with a pinch of salt), but I'm up for the challenge! :D

Best
Dave
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Hello from London

Post by jdaw1 »

You sound rather like one of us. Do start coming to tastings.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Welcome to :tpf:

As another recent newcomer I can say you have arrived at a thoroughly friendly place full of port nuts. Look forward to meeting you at a tasting sometime soon.

Flash (Mike)
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

I'd love to come along to tastings. How do they work? I'm conscious that you taste some fantastic wines at times, and I only have rather newer ports to offer in the "bring a bottle" stakes. Regretfully, squirrelling port away over the last 30/40 years wasn't a high priority at the time :( Happy to contribute though :)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DaveRL wrote:I'd love to come along to tastings. How do they work? I'm conscious that you taste some fantastic wines at times, and I only have rather newer ports to offer in the "bring a bottle" stakes. Regretfully, squirrelling port away over the last 30/40 years wasn't a high priority at the time :( Happy to contribute though :)
Well, we do have a rather long guide to tastings, but the short answer is that something fair will happen.

A “bring a bottle” tasting does what it says on the label. Bring — wait for it! — a — wait some more — bottle! Really. Something from a vintage between 1870 and 1992.

Other tastings are more structured, being a horizontal of one Vintage, or a vertical of one shipper. For those, typically, a few people bring most of the bottles, so there is a financial rebalancing.
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

Ah, yes, rt(f)m! Thank you. Note to self: 'must dig around site a bit more'. Sounds good. Really good. Very practical.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

DaveRL wrote:Note to self: 'must dig around site a bit more'.
Beware. Hours, days, nay weeks have been consumed just digging around this site.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Something from a vintage between 1870 and 1992.
OK OK, I admit my error: somebody once brought an 1830 and none of the attendees objected.