Request for advice

Come and say hello.
GDN
Cruz Ruby

Request for advice

Post by GDN »

Back in the 1970's I used to travel regularly on business to Portugal and enjoyed the opportunity to imbibe and often returned home with bottle(s). Sadly my metabolism changed and I have had to cease any alcohol intake. I have recently found a bottle of Dow's Vintage Port 1972 which I bought way back then and believing that it is both a good and rare vintage believe that it should be appreciated. Any interest?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Request for advice

Post by jdaw1 »

It is rare, but the first adjective definitely doesn’t apply. 1972 was one the years affected by the alcohol scandal (instead of grape brandy, some were fortified with industrial alcohol), and the few ’72s I’ve tasted have been, at best, mediocre.

Cost I don’t know, but guess that it would be £25 to £40 at auction. Subtract seller’s commission and transport costs leaves only a mite more than nothing.

Have you considered drinking it?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Dow 1972 is a passable port, but is not a great vintage. It was only a small vintage so bottles are relatively unusual these days.

Are you able to tell us how the bottle has been stored? Assuming well, I would guess that at auction you would probably net £15-20 for a bottle like this.

I note you can't drink it, but can you cook with it? I once had a spaghetti bolognaise which my wife had made with half a bottle of Fonseca 1966 which I had foolishly left in the decanter in the kitchen cupboard. While heartbroken at the loss of half a bottle of fine port, I do admit that this is probably the best bolognaise sauce she has ever made.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

GDN wrote:I have had to cease any alcohol intake.
jdaw1 wrote:Have you considered drinking it?
AHB wrote:I note you can't drink it
Sorry reply followed some hours after reading post.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

GDN wrote:Back in the 1970's I used to travel regularly on business to Portugal and enjoyed the opportunity to imbibe and often returned home with bottle(s). Sadly my metabolism changed and I have had to cease any alcohol intake. I have recently found a bottle of Dow's Vintage Port 1972 which I bought way back then and believing that it is both a good and rare vintage believe that it should be appreciated. Any interest?
As others have noted, 1972 is unfortunately a relatively weak year for port, so the bottle does not have a high value for selling; however since the year is unusual it might be of most interest to someone with a significant event in this year (birth, marriage). As you will not be drinking it yourself, perhaps make a present of it to someone for whom 1972 is significant?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Hello! Thank you DRT for drawing my attention to this.. Yes, I am of the same vintage as this bottle. GDN, I will send you a Private Message about this bottle..
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...