newbie from london

Come and say hello.
joel
Cruz Ruby

newbie from london

Post by joel »

hiya newbie here not really a wine drinker :oops: but.. my grandparents originally portugese left quite a few bottles of port behind many many years ago i compleatly forgot about

went on holiday there this year and when looking in the alcohol cupboard found a few bottles of old port hidden in the back that seem to be very old :shock:

im back in the uk but was wondering if anyone knew where i could get some sort of appraisal/valuation done not really interested in selling them right now just would like to know more about them and there value if any

cheers joel
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: newbie from london

Post by jdaw1 »

Did you take pictures?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Let us know what the bottles are and we might be able to help. Pictures would be great.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

If you need help drinking them in friendly company, we can also help with that!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
joel
Cruz Ruby

Post by joel »

djewesbury wrote:If you need help drinking them in friendly company, we can also help with that!
thanks but im ok :lol:

sorry for the late reply working night shifts at the moment

took some pictures although there on a camera i need to transfer them onto my pc the names on a few of the bottles are as follows if that helps

these bottles came many years ago from an elderly family friend who was into port/wine in portugal again they may have value they may have none i would just like to know

Constantino's Colheita 1900
Constantino's Colheita 1910
Kopke Tawny port no date on bottle anywhere just says NO 1 on front label
Seco Krohn Wiese & Krohn royal port seco velho i have 2 bottles both no dates anywhere one marked number 3 and other number 4

there are some others will try and find the little book i wrote it in those 6 above are ones i had details on from my phone
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

The two Constantino's Colheitas are relatively valuable. A group I was part of in 2010 purchased a 1900 Constantino Colheita in Portugal for about 400 Euros, as I recall, and the 1910 would probably cost about the same. That's retail price, though. In a private sale or auction you would probably clear closer to half that or maybe a little more. Call it 250 Euros per bottle.

It will also depend greatly on the condition of the bottles and when they were bottled, which should be listed on either the front or back label. The more recently bottled the better, though for those I think some time in the 1970s is the best you can hope for.
Glenn Elliott
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

At auction last year a pair of bottles of 1900 Constantino Colheita went for £420 hammer, of which the seller would have received about £350, so about £175/bottle. I believe these were in very good condition with good fill levels and no capsule damage, if I remember correctly. Depending on condition and storage of your bottles, I would suggest that you might therefore expect to get up to around £160/bottle in a private sale, which is fairly close to Glenn's estimate also.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Do post pictures. The fill level would be a main indication of how well this has been stored. As PhilW says, the condition of the capsules would be important too. But good, clean labels can also often increase the value by a small amount.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...