Belated hello

Come and say hello.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Belated hello

Post by LGTrotter »

Having contributed (if that is not too strong a word) to some conversations and written a couple of tasting notes I realise that I have not added an introduction, so here goes.
I have for quite some time patrolled your tasting notes and sniggered at the conversations.
I am not sure how I came to port, via wine I suppose. This is in the eighties when I began drinking wine, I can confess it now mainly as an affectation. I first bought port in the late nineties when there were a few old school stores which sold mature vintage port very reasonably, just odd bottles.
I love port because I can still afford to buy really good wine (just); I love the feeling of being drunk on port; it is as tough as old boots so I rarely get a total dud.
I live in Somerset, UK which I have sworn never to leave again, however I do find myself having to go to London a few times of late.
I can be somewhat cynical, rambling and incomprehensible in my cups and these are the times that I write posts, there seems to be some tolerance of this thank goodness. Like all cynics I am deeply romantic, hence port.
Owen, vintage 1968.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Belated hello

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:I can be somewhat cynical, rambling and incomprehensible
You fit right in here.

Welcome!
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Very nice to be properly introduced. I think you should leave Somerset at least once for a port tasting amongst like-minded romantic cynics.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

djewesbury wrote:Very nice to be properly introduced. I think you should leave Somerset at least once for a port tasting amongst like-minded romantic cynics.
On the other hand Somerset is a very lovely part of the country and not a county in which we have yet held an offline. I wonder whether there might be an establishment in Taunton which would be sympathetic to the cause of a handful of port lovers needing a drink?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AHB wrote:I wonder whether there might be an establishment in Taunton which would be sympathetic to the cause of a handful of port lovers needing a drink?
Excellent idea. Seconded.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...