Introduction

Come and say hello.
jonker1541
Cruz Ruby

Introduction

Post by jonker1541 »

Hi there,

I'm a dutch guy who used to be mainly into whisky, up until an after dinner ferreira 20 in a Portuguese restaurant caught my interest. Since that point friends and I have been drinking Tawny ports like the Graham's/Dow's/Kopke 10/20/30 yo tawnies. And ferreira whenever someone would fly to Portugal.

As it turns out I was born in an awful vintage year, but my wife ('83) and best friend ('77) are luckier. So we started trying to get our hands on these, and we're really enjoying VP as well.

So now I'm reading up on the stuff, and recently found out that a 1991 Dow's Colheita I bought was much better than the Dow's 10 yo Tawny. And cheaper at that. So I have some questions about this entire colheita thing. I'll probably take these to the conversation subforum, if no one objects.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Introduction

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome. You’ve come to the right place.
jonker1541 wrote:'77
You might want to look at this thread, in which a different new member is trying to establish a price for his case of W77. I know neither of you, so can’t recommend anything other than reading the thread.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Introduction

Post by Glenn E. »

jonker1541 wrote:So now I'm reading up on the stuff, and recently found out that a 1991 Dow's Colheita I bought was much better than the Dow's 10 yo Tawny. And cheaper at that. So I have some questions about this entire colheita thing. I'll probably take these to the conversation subforum, if no one objects.
Ah yes, the strange pricing. It happens on the ruby side as well - here in the US I can typically find a recent LBV for the same price as the same producer's ruby reserve. So why would I ever buy a ruby reserve?

The same seems to hold true for younger tawnies. 10 year old tawnies are often about the same price as a 15-20 year old Colheita. But in this case the slight difference in production method yields a difference in performance - a 10 year old tawny (like a ruby reserve) is a blend and so will often be smoother than a 15-20 year old Colheita (which is all from one year, like an LBV or VP).

Your wife and best friend are indeed lucky. 1983 and 1977 are both excellent years for VP.
Glenn Elliott