Hello

Come and say hello.
JWH
Cruz Ruby

Hello

Post by JWH »

Hello from a Surrey based novice port imbiber!

I have enjoyed drinking port for the last couple of years but have never ventured much beyond the reserve rubies and LBV's found on the shelves of my local supermarkets. I have often read through some of the tasting notes, somewhat enviously, and decided to celebrate the passing of my 30th year with a bottle of 1983 Warre's.

This first foray into the world of vintage port appears to have gone very successfully judging by the rate at which the decanter emptied and now my wife and I are both looking forward to trying many more ports guided by the wealth of knowledge available here on this site.

Cheers,
James
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Hello

Post by DRT »

James,

Welcome to :tpf: :D

Warre 1983 is a very good place to start your VP journey of discovery.

You would be very welcome to join us at a tasting in London. Please keep an eye out for themes that interest you, or feel free to suggest a theme that would suit your needs and we will see what can be done to help.

Cheers!

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

JWH wrote:Hello from a Surrey based novice port imbiber!
You are not alone in Surrey! Welcome and be warned. Participation in this forum can quickly lead to port obsession!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Being a 1983 baby puts you in a great position to have an excuse to collect port - it's still relatively cheap and easy to find if you want to build up a small collection from that vintage. It would be good to start now, in 10 years time prices are likely to be 50% up in real terms if I look at the '66 and '70 vintages.

And welcome to the Forum! Please don't feel shy about posting a note in the Tasting Notes section where you say what you thought about the Warre 1983. Your first tasting note is as valid and useful to people as any of the others that can be found there, even if it is kept brief and to the point. Something like "Tasty and delicious, decanted for 2 hours and drunk over the next 3" would be appreciated by all of us.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JWH
Cruz Ruby

Post by JWH »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I would love to make it to a tasting sometime but with a young baby it might be a little challenging getting the time off anytime soon.

I will make a brief tasting note for the Warre's shortly whilst I can still remember a few of the mental notes I made at the time.

I agree that 1983 seems like a logical place to start a port collection. Which would you recommend trying next?

Cheers,
James
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Luke wrote:I would love to make it to a tasting sometime but with a young baby it might be a little challenging getting the time off anytime soon.
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:You are not alone in Surrey!
Luke Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi. Serve well you he will.

Yoda.
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:
Luke wrote:I would love to make it to a tasting sometime but with a young baby it might be a little challenging getting the time off anytime soon.
Obi-Wan Kenobi wrote:You are not alone in Surrey!
Luke Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi. Serve well you he will.

Yoda.
Everything is possible! My own participation is constrained by 2 young boys - 4 and 2 presently - and a wife who works. But, where the will is strong, there is a way! Where in Surrey are you?
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JWH
Cruz Ruby

Post by JWH »

I live near to Woking.

One of the benefits is a good rail service to/from London (Dagobah?)
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Hi James - welcome to the forum.
JWH wrote:I agree that 1983 seems like a logical place to start a port collection. Which would you recommend trying next?
There are some significant differences in style between the different port houses, so trying these from '83/'85 would be a good way to see if you have a preference; likely Taylor, Graham, Dow and Fonseca to cover the main styles as well as easy to source. Joining us in London for this tasting once organised could be of interest for this.

Since you have enjoyed the Warre's '83, another option could be to try an older and younger vintage of Warre's, perhaps '77 and '91, which are both mature and drinking well, though at very different stages of their evolution.

Overall, you have a lot of options open to you depending on what you prefer; pick what you fancy trying and enjoy finding out :990000:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

James

1983 was a vintage which was very successful for the Symingtons. You've tried their Warre port so I would suggest moving on to their other brands of Graham, Dow, Gould Campbell, Smith Woodhouse and Quarles Harris as a next step.

I don't know how / where you source your ports, but I can recommend Wine Searcher (www.wine-searcher.com) and it's worth paying the modest ($20 per year, I think) fee to upgrade to Winesearcher Pro. Winesearcher Pro helps you identify sources where you can buy your port and laso helps you to efficiently find the cheapest place to shop.

Have fun exploring new shippers!

JWH
Cruz Ruby

Post by JWH »

Thanks for the recommendations/advice.

I will keep my eye on the 1983/1985 comparison as this sounds like an ideal opportunity to try all the different houses side by side and learn a bit more about the different house styles.

In the meanwhile I have ordered some Delaforce Corte '91 from Majestic as it seemed like a reasonable price something that mature and might have to plan a trip to Tesco in the hope of getting some Croft LBV for everyday drinking.

Winesearcher Pro seems to be $39 for 12 months (maybe you get it 1/2 price on renewal?). I'm sure though that making up those costs in savings shouldn't be too difficult though.

With regards to buying port, do you pick the cheapest vendor from Winesearcher or are some best avoided? What are vendors attitudes to faulty bottles bearing in mind that most bottles I will be buying will be bought to be drunk soon so storage conditions won't be much of an issue? Is it possible to get replacements/refunds or again is this vendor specific?

Sorry for mass of questions!
Cheers,
James
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

James,

Vendors do vary in quality and in the level of service that they give, just as they do in price. I've tried a few vendors in the past and have generally had good service from them all. My current main vendor is Seckford Wines although I also buy from Fine & Rare, Wilkinson Vintners and a few others. Your best bet might be to find someone you want to buy from and post a question on the forum to ask others experience with that specific vendor.

The only time I can recall returning a bottle of port was to Tesco. This was 6 months after I bought it and the person on the Customer Service desk was a bit sniffy about me returning a bottle after so long, but I had the receipt and the rest of the contents of the smelly bottle so I got a replacement and refund as the adverts promise.

I've never tried with any other vendor.

Alex

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

James,

The best advice I can give you is "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware).

Most Port purchases are on the secondary market and the purchaser is responsible for asking the right questions before handing over the dosh. If you purchase newly released VP from the producer's importer and find it to be faulty you have reasonable claim against the supplier. If you buy "second hand" you own the risk.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
JWH
Cruz Ruby

Post by JWH »

Thanks for the tips.

So it seems you are essentially taking a gamble on the condition of most bottles. Guess I won't be buying any Cockburn '83 anytime soon!