Greetings from a London port drinker in Belfast..

Come and say hello.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Greetings from a London port drinker in Belfast..

Post by djewesbury »

Hello all
I'm a recent convert to the wonders and mysteries of port, especially VP, and a Londoner living in Belfast for nearly 20 years. I've found that a decent selection of VP is fairly hard to come by in Ireland in general.. although I've noticed that Berry Bros will deliver anywhere in Ireland from their Dublin office. If there are any other port lovers in Ireland / Northern Ireland, maybe interested in organising the occasional tasting, maybe with some knowledge to share on merchants and dealers over here, please drop me a line! I do try and get back to London as often as I can but getting this to coincide with tastings could be tricky. I have access to a nice venue for tastings if anyone's interested..
Hope to see some of you offline soon
Daniel
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Greetings from a London port drinker in Belfast..

Post by jdaw1 »

I had the same problem in a different city: port people just aren’t everywhere. Good luck.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:I do try and get back to London as often as I can but getting this to coincide with tastings could be tricky.
Daniel,

Welcome to :tpf:

You are approaching this the wrong way. Don't wait for us to pick the right date. If you know when you will be in London you should tell us when. That is all the incentive we need to organise a tasting! If you don't believe that just read this.

I look forward to meeting you in the not too distant future 88)

DRT
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Yes! Of course.. what was I thinking..
Will get working on a trip.. and in the meantime maybe my reserve for the Taylor Vertical will come through after all....
Thanks
DJ
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It is true. We are fairly good at grabbing any excuse we find to drink port in the company of like-minded people who happen to be in London.

And a trip to London could be just the excuse you need to be able to return home with a bootful of bottles (or a modest sized hold bag with a smaller amount of bottles) bought from your friendly (and cheaper than Ireland!) London wine merchant.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.