New Joinerand question!

Come and say hello.
idj123
Morgan 1991

New Joinerand question!

Post by idj123 »

Not sure why it's taken me this long to happen across this forum (I clearly wasn't looking hard enough!) but have a been a port lover for a number of years. However, to judge from the knowledge level of posters on this site I am but a schoolboy-which is why I would welcome some thoughts or advice on the following:

My future father-in-law has gifted me a bottle of VP which he acquired a number of years ago (having been given it at a house party apparently). It is a bottle of Taylors 1945 replete with straw sheath. Liquid level seems good (over the neck) but there's a little damage to the wax seal. I understand that it's been stored in a cool (and constant) place, although upright. As I received this has an engagement present, I promised him that I would open it at wedding (April next year) and that he, I and a few of my port loving mates would imbibe it. He however, is paranoid that it is spoilt (or maderised as he puts it) and so I've bought a bottle of Noval 63 (as posted elsewhere) as back-up. So any thoughts as to its likely drinkability and although it's been stored upright presumably there's no issue with it now being laid down (with my other VPs)?

All comments welcomed!

Ian
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: New Joinerand question!

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Ian,

Welcome to the port forum, delighted you've been able to join us now even if it did take some time for you to discover us.

What a fantastic present from a future father-in-law. Taylor '45 and Noval '63 for a pre-wedding refreshment sounds perfect.

I would be quite optimistic about the Taylor '45 drinking well. While common practice says that port dhoulf be stored on its side, last year a couple of us visited an old port producers who swears that vintage port is best stored upright, as you would madeira. They have (upright) bottles in their store back to the early 1800s so there must be something to this technique. Personally, (almost) all of my Port is stored lying down but I have drunk port which was stored upright and it has been quite tawny in character, but still very enjoyable. If you shine a torch through the bottle, what colour does the port have - is it a deep, rich red or a light orange colour?

One thing I would be a little cautious about would be lying the bottle down now. You might well find that over the years the cork has dried out and shrunk leaving you with a significant risk of leakage if you lie the bottle down now. Given that it has been upright for 65 years, another few months is unlikely to materially affect the way it will taste when you open it next year.

And congratulations on your imminent wedding!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

idj123 wrote:port loving mates would imbibe
Turn around, touch the ground, bagsy me first: please, how do I apply to be one of your mates? Taylor 1945 will likely be splendid juice.

And I agree with everything said by the previous poster.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I'd also add that if you happen to be state side, I too would like an application ;-)

welcome to the board, echoing my fellow forumites, you have nothing to fear from a 45 taylors

if you're worried do as alex suggest and shine a flash light through the neck and see if you can spot it's color

if it's a ruby red, you're definitely in for a treat.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz