Hi from France

Come and say hello.
alinfrance
Cruz Ruby

Hi from France

Post by alinfrance »

Hello just joined here as I have come across a few bottles of port I have had for many years and as I dont drink thought I would ask some experts what's the best thing to do with them,hope there are some suggestions,I did try to list them on ebay but you have to be a wine seller to do that and they removed them hope someone can give some advice thanks
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Hi from France

Post by PhilW »

Hi there - your options will depend on what sort of port you have, in what quantities, where it was obtained from and/or how it has been stored. Can you give us a little more detail?
alinfrance
Cruz Ruby

Post by alinfrance »

Hi again its only odd bottles I had given by my boss many years ago,he is a wine dealer in Suffolk. They have been sitting in a wine rack for a long time,the main one is a bottle of Calem Porto vintage 1997 and as I dont drink thought someone could use it
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The best thing you can do is list them out here and then we can advise you whether they have any serious value or would be more fun to drink.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
alinfrance
Cruz Ruby

Post by alinfrance »

These are the bottles I have any opinions please thank you
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Assuming that they have been properly stored, lying on their side in a cool dark spot, all of the bottles you have would be relatively easy to sell although none are particularly valuable. They would also all be very enjoyable to drink should you choose to do so!

The Calem 1977 is unusual to see (in the UK, perhaps more usual in France), and is a mid-reputation port from a vintage with a better reputation than it deserves. A sound bottle should be really nice.

Croft 1982 is one of the favourite 1982 ports of the people on this forum. It is drinking really well at the moment and again should be very enjoyable.

Niepoort make very good LBV ports. The 1996 has a fair amount of bottle age by now and should have softened. This is one which can be drunk and enjoyed today or kept for longer.

De La Rosa 1988 I don't know. 1988 produced some decent ports but I've never tried the 1988 from De La Rosa. This is another port I would expect to be ready to drink but to be perfectly capable of being kept for a few more years.

And I can't quite make out the vintage on the Sandeman label.

Overall, I'd say you have a nice collection for slowly drinking through. If you decided to sell them privately in the UK, you could probably expect to get around £100 for the 5 bottles. I don't know how that price might be different if you're selling in France.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
alinfrance
Cruz Ruby

Post by alinfrance »

Thank you for your help, I will probably hang on to them a bit longer. Much appreciated.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote: De La Rosa 1988 I don't know. 1988 produced some decent ports but I've never tried the 1988 from De La Rosa. This is another port I would expect to be ready to drink but to be perfectly capable of being kept for a few more years.
if you like your tinta roriz showing through (slight greenish component) then this is a good port. Not much of a fan here.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz